Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson to ELC

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It'd be really nice if he blossomed into an NHL player. Dear lord knows we need that right now

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Good news! Seems to have enough skill, but it will be interesting to see where his overall game stacks up against the physical NA style of play.

If he was with the Leafs, there would be all kinds of hype around him, with the term "top prospect" being thrown around. Hopefully he's kind of flying under the radar a bit, and surprises.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
This much needed especially with McDonough going back for his senior and final season . I’m hoping him and Bains can have huge seasons in Abby and add depth . And I would love for Karlsson to blossom ans turn out like Victor Olofsson did in Buffalo .

Boy we need the depth

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
People hoping he'll be in Abbotsford should read Vector's post

Didn’t realize this but a new transfer agreement with Sweden was signed in April. Main thing is if he doesn’t make the Canucks, he has to offered back to his Swedish club before being assigned to the AHL. Karlsson is one of the first players subject to this change.

“However, there is one significant change that warrants a closer look. Under the old agreement, players drafted in the second round or later that are also signed in Sweden had to be at least 21 before they could be sent to the AHL. If they were younger than that, they had to be returned to their Swedish team. In the new agreement, that threshold has been increased to 24. Any player from Sweden who signs an NHL contract will now be subject to the new agreement while anyone that signed before the announcement will be under the old rules.”

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
i see a chance of him being in the nhl on the wing. im also assuming multiple wingers are being traded though

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So only 1st round picks under 24 years old can go to the AHL...?

Pretty seismic shift for NHL teams trying to get their Swedish talent acclimatized to North American hockey..

…without the consent of their Swedish club. If he doesn’t want to go back to Sweden, his agent can inform the Swedish team and they will, ideally, decline.

It’s a big and odd change. I’m not sure why teams agreed to it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
…without the consent of their Swedish club. If he doesn’t want to go back to Sweden, his agent can inform the Swedish team and they will, ideally, decline.

It’s a big and odd change. I’m not sure why teams agreed to it.

Ohhh ok I'm misinterpreting it as a pretty iron clad "SHL has ultimate right without consideration of the player's wishes" type thing.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ohhh ok I'm misinterpreting it as a pretty iron clad "SHL has ultimate right without consideration of the player's wishes" type thing.

Yup. They have the final say but they can decline and he can go to the AHL. I’d imagine if he didn’t want to go back to Sweden but they wanted him back it would make for an awkward lockerroom.

Is Karlsson still signed to a Swedish team? If not, he can be assigned the AHL no problem.

He is under contract with Skelleftea AK for next season.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So anyone have any idea on his salary in the SEL vs an AHL ELC salary. I assume the AHL is still roughly $50 - 70K, with $70K being the maximum salary allowed.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Didn’t realize this but a new transfer agreement with Sweden was signed in April. Main thing is if he doesn’t make the Canucks, he has to offered back to his Swedish club before being assigned to the AHL. Karlsson is one of the first players subject to this change.

“However, there is one significant change that warrants a closer look. Under the old agreement, players drafted in the second round or later that are also signed in Sweden had to be at least 21 before they could be sent to the AHL. If they were younger than that, they had to be returned to their Swedish team. In the new agreement, that threshold has been increased to 24. Any player from Sweden who signs an NHL contract will now be subject to the new agreement while anyone that signed before the announcement will be under the old rules.”

ironic that this rule affects karlsson since it seems tailored for dahlen. not a bad idea really for european kids to be allowed to develop at home in domestic pro-leagues. the ahl can be a tough adjustment for north american kids.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
ironic that this rule affects karlsson since it seems tailored for dahlen. not a bad idea really for european kids to be allowed to develop at home in domestic pro-leagues. the ahl can be a tough adjustment for north american kids.
I believe that Elias Pettersson had a clause in his contract that allowed him to return to the Swedish League if he didnt make the Canucks squad in his rookie year.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I believe that Elias Pettersson had a clause in his contract that allowed him to return to the Swedish League if he didnt make the Canucks squad in his rookie year.

If Pettersson had a contract with his Swedish club, he would have been subject to the same rules. The previous rules were for players 21 and under.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
That Linus guy always looked a bit soft to me... i was hoping for more truculence ...

4cd504254a5d0b63912d8bc0771ada26.gif
4cd504254a5d0b63912d8bc0771ada26.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad