Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson to ELC

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sign him up for next year. Don’t allow him to burn one year on a 2 game ahl try out thanks jim. Don’t be like the other jim please.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He seems to have more offensive potential than Lammikko, but I hope Karlsson can keep pace with the game like Juho has been able to do. Both aren't good skaters, but Juho uses his size and IQ to disrupt plays. I'll be comparing Karlsson to Juho, hopefully we can get a young, cheap 4th line going.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nov 1, 2011
Sign him up for next year. Don’t allow him to burn one year on a 2 game ahl try out thanks jim. Don’t be like the other jim please.

Mid-tier guy.

Sign him, let him burn a year, that way you aren't committed to him too long if he doesn't make it.

If he seems like a player, you'll be happy to get him onto his next contract a year earlier.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
From what Patrick Johnson told me, Ryan Johnson is a great communicator and connects with the players extremely well. I’m not sure how that translates to success but apparently everyone is impressed.

That's the question. The player development job requires keeping tabs on prospects. From everything I've read, frequent communications is the norm. But that just helps foster a relationship between the organization and the prospect. It's one reason why so many ex players get their start in player development. Guys who are naturally good in the room can easily connect with players. Look at the success of Spittin' Chiclets podcasts.

But is that all there is to it? Connecting with players? There has to be more.

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm hopeful that with a complete teardown and rebuild of the coaching staff in Abbotsford, guys like Karlsson will come over here and actually improve dramatically in the AHL.

That's what this Canucks team has lacked for the past eight seasons--guys from AHL beating down the door to advance to the big club.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
From what Patrick Johnson told me, Ryan Johnson is a great communicator and connects with the players extremely well. I’m not sure how that translates to success but apparently everyone is impressed.
This is good to hear and is one of a bunch of components that involve training programs, nutrition, skills development and education. Then the coaches have to work with the NHL teams to also have a evolving plan to give them opportunities.

I think this is already a big focus for the new regime and a welcome one.

I know some were high on Utica but i wasn't. I believe it's extremely important to feel connected to Vancouver have the NHL resources available and be closer to the team for call ups. I also think having the team in BC is a good opportunity for some local talent to look at continuing their careers as fringe players closer to home/family and provide depth for the NHL club. Players like Burroughs Petan Hunt Rempal Juulsen already come to mind

Reactions: Orr4Norris

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Karlsson did the Michigan today, the puck took an odd bounce off the goalie which prevented going in.

Regardless he scored a other goal and is now 1 goal away from Petey's rookie record. Like Motte, Highmore, Lammikko, I think this trade will end up winning for Canucks.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Karlsson did the Michigan today, the puck took an odd bounce off the goalie which prevented going in.

Regardless he scored a other goal and is now 1 goal away from Petey's rookie record. Like Motte, Highmore, Lammikko, I think this trade will end up winning for Canucks.
looks like he just tied petey's goal rookie record

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016

How is the guy we traded for him doing?? Oh, he is playing in the NHL already and has 12 goals and 10 assists in 51 games.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
How is the guy we traded for him doing?? Oh, he is playing in the NHL already and has 12 goals and 10 assists in 51 games.

22 points in 51 games as a 24 year old is Baertschi level. Ever since his initial start, he's had 8 points in his last 25 games and a -20. I wouldn't even trade Lammikko for him.

I rather take a chance on a RH 22 year old rookie in the SHL that just tied Petey's goal scoring record. It's very uncommon for rookies in the SHL to have this level of production.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
22 points in 51 games as a 24 year old is Baertschi level. Ever since his initial start, he's had 8 points in his last 25 games and a -20. I wouldn't even trade Lammikko for him.

I rather take a chance on a RH 22 year old rookie in the SHL that just tied Petey's goal scoring record. It's very uncommon for rookies in the SHL to have this level of production.
While I'm hopeful about LK, I look at a player like Emil Bemstrom who dominated as a rookie at the age of 19 scoring 23 goals in only 47 games in the SHL but is currently struggling to produce at the NHL level and I realize that it's quite the jump from the SHL to the NHL.

The good thing is that if LK can improve his skating, he has the size to carve out a spot on the bottom six some where. As of now, I don't expect anything more than Chiasson level production with further development but I hope he proves me wrong

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
saw him originally as more of a bottom 6 player if he came over. shows a bit more offense than i thought but also is now 24 in shl albeit his first year in shl.

worth bringing over. worth giving a shot on the wing of one of our 3 lines if he looks alright in camp or spending in ahl. worst case is he goes back to sweden

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
saw him originally as more of a bottom 6 player if he came over. shows a bit more offense than i thought but also is now 24 in shl albeit his first year in shl.

worth bringing over. worth giving a shot on the wing of one of our 3 lines if he looks alright in camp or spending in ahl. worst case is he goes back to sweden
Karlsson is 22, and turns 23 in November just so we're clear. He has 24 goals in the SHL though!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Got to give some props to the Canucks Euro scouts, and particularly the Swedish scouts for this deal. At the time the trade was made, Karlsson was a just another another young kid in the Allsvenskan, while Dahlen was a big time scorer and looked clearly to be the player with a much higher offensive ceiling.

But fast forward a couple of years, and Karlsson has to be clearly on the radar as a scoring forward with some clear NHL upside. He's listed on Hockey DB as a center, although I guess he's been playing wing in the SHL. But if he could ever play center in NA, that would be a huge added bonus.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
yep. got my numbers confused. still would be a late bloomer if he showed anything
Always amazed at how the term 'late bloomer' seems to be misused and abused. Karlsson is only 22 and is in the top 10 of league scoring in a full-blown men's professional league like the SHL. In fact he's the best rookie scorer since Elias Pettersson departed the SHL for Vancouver. For comparisons sake, he's a year younger than Jack Rathbone, who's considered to be the 'top dog' in the Canucks prospect pool.

And if Karlsson was still playing college hockey or lighting it up in the AHL--he'd still be considered a 'blue-chip prospect. But because he's been toiling in the Allsvenskan and the SHL in relative anonymity, somehow he's a 'late bloomer' at only 22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad