Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If I had to guess. He didn't want to stay there and we weren't going to take OEL without him. Garland, in my opinion, cost us the 9th overall and Arizona only having to hold 12% on OEL instead of say, 30%
He said that he was fine with being apart of the rebuild in Arizona, honestly seems like a low maintenance guy, Arizona has been a gong show and he was cool with sticking and trying to help them turn it around around despite that. Seems like a great character guy.

May 31, 2006
Think it's fair to say this is the best top 9 winger depth we've had in franchise history: JT, Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Pod, Pearson.
AdvancedEmbarrassedFurseal-size_restricted.gif

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Given all the evidence at hand this is a good contract. Give the team credit. Might be somehow it doesn't work out but that does not negate the fact that on day it was signed this was a good contract.

Welcome aboard good ship Canuck Conor and hope you become our Marchand.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Curious which group you feel is better? Granted, assuming Pod and Garland work out on my part.

2010-11 obviously the best squad in franchise history. Daniel, Burrows, Samuelsson, Hansen, Raymond, Higgins.

Don't know, maybe you feel Linden, Bure, Courtnalls, Momesso, Sandlak was better?

Think this current group, while not having a future league MVP/Art Ross winner in it, has as much or more firepower than the 2011 team did on the wings.

Reactions: mossey3535
May 31, 2006
Curious which group you feel is better? Granted, assuming Pod and Garland work out on my part.

2010-11 obviously the best squad in franchise history. Daniel, Burrows, Samuelsson, Hansen, Raymond, Higgins.

Don't know, maybe you feel Linden, Bure, Courtnalls, Momesso, Sandlak was better?

Think this current group, while not having a future league MVP/Art Ross winner in it, has as much or more firepower than the 2011 team did on the wings.
Both of those are way better and also in 08-09 we were icing D. Sedin, Burrows, Demitra, Kesler, Raymond, Bernier/Hansen on the wings.

Reactions: PM and mossey3535

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
On the one hand, you'd think that obvious key parts of your roster would be priority number one and that you'd want to be valuing them and trying to get a deal done.

On the other hand, these are big fish and ironing out the details where everyone is happy is going to take time, particularly when you have to figure out exactly how much you can allocate to those players.

I'm slightly concerned, but not really, if that makes sense.
I'm very concerned myself as Benning has shown he's not the most brilliant planner. I'm just very confused and worried that he's left bread crumbs for the two and for once a predatory offer sheet from someone makes sense. I mean even if we match he has to unload actual positive assets to become cap compliant. Until they are signed I'll be concerned myself..

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I love your optimism. I think with health factored in, both the 1994 and 2011 top-9s were pretty deep. I think Podkolzin is too much of a wild card to accurately predict yet (although like you, I feel he's going to be solid). Dickinson as a 3C isn't on the same level to me as Malhotra or Craven, though.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Think it's fair to say this is the best top 9 winger depth we've had in franchise history: JT, Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Pod, Pearson.

As someone that believes in building from the blueline up, and center out, I give this accomplishment two golf claps.

yep, don't discount the fact that Motte is one of the best 4th liners in the league and can play as an effective 3rd liner. This year's team is definitely one of the deepest I have seen in more than a decade.

Reactions: alternate

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I'm very concerned myself as Benning has shown he's not the most brilliant planner. I'm just very confused and worried that he's left bread crumbs for the two and for once a predatory offer sheet from someone makes sense. I mean even if we match he has to unload actual positive assets to become cap compliant. Until they are signed I'll be concerned myself..

I recall anxieties regarding Tanev and Subban getting re-signed. Also, the concern regarding the Sedins back when Gillis had to fly to Sweden and all that. Or Luongo's first re-signing with Vancouver with Nonis (there was a lot of worry that he wouldn't be interested in sticking around in Vancouver from what I recall. And yes, I know that the latter 2(3?) were UFAs.)

I do not think that Benning is a long term planner, has given much thought about an overall cap structure beyond 'will it fit?' and generally don't trust him in decision making situations.

But, he has done all right with RFA signings.

I'm not that concerned regarding a potential offer sheet. It would be hilariously Canucks, but I don't think there are a lot of teams that have the combination of cap space + desirable location to entice either of them to sign one. Plus, the general rarity of offer sheets.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
The forward group certainly is deep and by all rights we should be an offensive juggernaut. Defensively.....we hope Shaw can make a difference otherwise it's going to be a long year for the goalies.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I recall anxieties regarding Tanev and Subban getting re-signed. Also, the concern regarding the Sedins back when Gillis had to fly to Sweden and all that. Or Luongo's first re-signing with Vancouver with Nonis (there was a lot of worry that he wouldn't be interested in sticking around in Vancouver from what I recall. And yes, I know that the latter 2(3?) were UFAs.)

I do not think that Benning is a long term planner, has given much thought about an overall cap structure beyond 'will it fit?' and generally don't trust him in decision making situations.

But, he has done all right with RFA signings.

I'm not that concerned regarding a potential offer sheet. It would be hilariously Canucks, but I don't think there are a lot of teams that have the combination of cap space + desirable location to entice either of them to sign one. Plus, the general rarity of offer sheets.
I hope you are right and this anxiety is all for not for myself.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I know we’re a house divided due to Management and it’s really challenging to be optimistic for many of us (including me).

That being said, I’m very excited about this signing
View attachment 456745

I love his style of play and am so happy he’s ours for the next 5 years at a fair AAV for the Term.

Bad signing, he has terrible hand-eye coordination

mackinnon-garland-helmet.2062d37d.gif

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
if it was a bad contract, I expect 6 paragraphs from you. Same energy.
I think you got your posters mixed up mate. I expended all those paragraphs saying how I'm optimistic on OEL. As for the trade I might be in the minority here but don't think its that bad. It's a gamble but I can respect it. So was the Miller trade after all which IIRC I was against at the time. I would love for both these gambles to work out.

With OEL, his mental health issues probably really affected his on ice play. I know what its like having a real funk in life so I can defintly see him bouncing back.

I'm very excited to see how both OEL and Garland do and I think Garland is a fantastic player who could definitely outperform this contract. As far as the current value I think this contract is fair.

That was 3 paragraphs are you happy? Want me to write 3 more?

EDIT: You know what thinking about this deal i think its more than fair I think its a good deal. His trajectory seems to be a high end 2nd liner and if he can over preform that or preform that consistently, when the cap goes up, the end of this contract can look excellent.

Last edited:

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I like the salary and term, if we feel the need to move from this player his contract should be friendly moving forward for other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad