Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I dunno if there was even a Benning tax on this one. EW had him at 4 x 4.68, so tack on another year (UFA year) and you get 4.95 pretty easily I would think.

It might pan out and be a good deal, but 4.95M is higher than almost every projection I saw for him here or otherwise.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It might pan out and be a good deal, but 4.95M is higher than almost every projection I saw for him here or otherwise.

It's higher because of term, Canucks essentially bought all his best years including UFA years. If it was a 2 year deal, the price would have been a million less.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I might take a few wheelbarrows full of cap space down to Rogers Arena this weekend depending on what happens.

Reactions: sting101

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
OEL will be producing 40+ points next season and playing 23 mins a game. I'll take him at 7.2 million any day when you compare his production and contract to the rest of the top paid defenders.

Again, how in the hell is OEL going to get 40+ points when Quinn Hughes will in all likelihood play 80% of the PP QB minutes?

Reactions: bh53 and geebaan

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
OEL will be producing 40+ points next season and playing 23 mins a game. I'll take him at 7.2 million any day when you compare his production and contract to the rest of the top paid defenders.

For sure all of those points will be at even strength. All the issues with preventing goals against will disappear once he comes to a team that actually knows how to defend.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
You need to relax, the cap will likely go up as soon as next season given the NHL signed a monster TV deal and now that things are returning to normal

People have been over projecting the cap for years now, and this optimism of growth has often screwed over teams in major ways. While the cap will rise we shouldn't trust that it will do this and player salaries will once again adjust to the new cap environment.

But I'm not really panicked. The current mode the team is in invites and needs this team to be a contender in the next 3 years. If Hoglander and Podkolzkin are regular top 6 fixtures then trading a Boeser or Miller is one of the best ways to recoup young assets and reallocate money to the defense/#3 C

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pavel Buchvenich gets 5.8 million cap hit over 4 years. Benning struck gold with Garland.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
How many UFA years does this buy? 3?

I believe so.

Not really a huge fan of these long term deals to guys who haven't played a single game here, as this has basically not worked out well a single time for us, and I am extremely wary of reading too much into last season's data, but this seems reasonable for 3 UFA years and the player is only 25. Still waiting to hear on trade protection / bonus structure.

Reactions: m9

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Reasonable deal, and in line with what pretty much everyone was expecting him to sign for.

Benning really didn't have much room to negotiate, IMO, so it's nice to see that there isn't an overpayment or any weird protections.

Strange how everyone is approving of this deal when apparently this place is a den of vipers who hate literally everything the Benning regime does.

Give it 24 hours...

Reactions: F A N

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I believe so.

Not really a huge fan of these long term deals to guys who haven't played a single game here, as this has basically not worked out well a single time for us, and I am extremely wary of reading too much into last season's data, but this seems reasonable for 3 UFA years and the player is only 25. Still waiting to hear on trade protection / bonus structure.

Think it was already reported that there is no signing bonuses, no movement protection. Wouldn't be the first time initial reports were wrong though, so we will see.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
People have been over projecting the cap for years now, and this optimism of growth has often screwed over teams in major ways. While the cap will rise we shouldn't trust that it will do this and player salaries will once again adjust to the new cap environment.

But I'm not really panicked. The current mode the team is in invites and needs this team to be a contender in the next 3 years. If Hoglander and Podkolzkin are regular top 6 fixtures then trading a Boeser or Miller is one of the best ways to recoup young assets and reallocate money to the defense/#3 C

They aren't trading Miller. Might not re-sign him but they will be allin next year as well. Boeser i could see in some sort of hockey trade maybe. They will not recoup assets unless this team completely shits the bed. I cannot see them below at least a bubble team unless demko breaks under #1 pressure.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Great Deal!

Top six possible Top line player/ production for under 5 mil while getting no trade protection and buying some free agency years.

Excellent move!

Next order of business, trade Schmidt.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pls don’t compare Garlond to any overpaid 4th liners/3rd pair D we’ve signed in FA in the last

Hey, at least it's not Brandon Sutter that they are taking the swing on.

I really do think that having another RHS top 6 locked in is their Boeser backup plan. Honestly if they had just kept Toffoli as well they probably could have moved Boeser for a legit top young D by now and been miles ahead.

I will pretty much always be against term (4+ years) for guys who haven't played on your team before. These situations are when teams get burned the most in all sports, not just hockey. People like to focus on it being strictly an UFA thing because the players are old and age is definitely part of it.. but it's also that you are taking on extra risk when you haven't seen the guy play for you. Different situations, systems, whatever.

As far as I can tell, in the last 10 years the guys who fall into this category (acquired with 4+ years left, signed as FAs for 4+ years, or immediately signed long-time are:

-Booth
-Garrison
-Eriksson
-Sutter
-Beagle
-Roussel
-Myers
-Miller
-Schmidt

Miller's been good. Garrison was okay, but went south quickly. But the rest have gone poorly and when you give guys 4+ years you would think you are locking up safe bets. Now this off-season we have OEL & Garland added.

I don't know, maybe this isn't the thread for it as Garland is his own guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad