Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Great deal, I like it a lot. Garland already seems like a keeper, seems to be saying all of the right things. So stoked to see him play. The Canucks forward group is going to be pretty nifty next year.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Great deal, I like it a lot. Garland already seems like a keeper, seems to be saying all of the right things. So stoked to see him play. The Canucks forward group is going to be pretty nifty next year.

Get some more bottom 6 at the cheap, fix the defense.
This team can compete.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
This is decent value for a bonafide top 6 forward just entering his prime years who brings a lot of intangibles.
It’s good to see JB sign a neutral to positive value contract on a newly acquired player. Wish he would have done this from the start but maybe he’s starting to catch on to this whole contract signing thing.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You like to ridicule people, but you do realize that OEL has a grade A shot?. He barely moves his arms on his wrist shot and puck still goes like a rocket. And he has a great slap shot.

I see him as more useful on the right side on the 2nd unit. Just give the 2nd unit more opportunity. Or just give him Hughes’ spot on the 1st.

He has the best shot!

Some Arizona fans say it has been MIA after he played through the hand injury but I believe some sea air will clear thosr issues right up.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I like Garland but let's chill out on the hype.

I've seen some people pegging him for 60-70 points next year. Let's all relax... the sample size is relatively small with this player.

Remember the last time we freaked out about someone with a small sample size of excellence? He got traded for a third round pick in a year so...

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Can't complain too much about the contract, would've preferred 4.5m but 400k isn't worth complaining about.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The thing with Garland is his production year over year has been rising at a steep rate. 18/19 - .38 pts/game. 19/20 - .57 pts/game. 20/21 - .80 pts/game. Could level off, or maybe take another step upwards. Could be a steal of a contract.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I think this thread shows that people who don’t like the current management don’t just blindly hate them. Whenever they make good decisions in contracts/trades/picks then posters will give them credit. The reason things are usually super negative is because the moves are usually bad.

From what I’ve seen and read about Garland, this seems like a really good deal and I’m hopeful he gels with the other young guys. Definite win for me.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I think this thread shows that people who don’t like the current management don’t just blindly hate them. Whenever they make good decisions in contracts/trades/picks then posters will give them credit. The reason things are usually super negative is because the moves are usually bad.

From what I’ve seen and read about Garland, this seems like a really good deal and I’m hopeful he gels with the other young guys. Definite win for me.
I mean the simple litmus test is team performance.

And in 7 years or so the team has performed poorly.

That tells you right there the quality of management. Individual moves in a vacuum aside.

Thats why its funny(crazy not ha ha) you have the usuals not only defending Jim Benning but also whining about the "negativity".

Last edited:
Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Benning has definitely had some good moves.

However, the bad far outweighs the good, hence the "negativity" that comes along with his transactions.

The sum of the parts have also not been up to par, the team performance over the last 7 years has been one of the league's worst.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
This seems like an excellent signing to me. The player has been on an absurd upward trajectory over his 5 year Pro career.

AHL:
16/17 - .25 PPG
17/18 - .49 PPG
18/19 - 1.19 PPG

NHL:
18/19 - .38 PPG
19/20 - .57 PPG
20/21 - .8 PPG

This trajectory isn't because he put 30 lbs onto a 6'3" frame. He's listed at 5'10" 165lbs at capfriendly.com. This is a player who demonstrably improved himself as a player year over year. That screams drive and intelligence to me.

If this guy had played in Toronto last year he'd be a household name. We got really lucky here. Stupid lucky.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Looking forward to him on PP 1.

Was on the top unit of a pretty good Arizona PP.... Hopefully can bring some pop back to our stale, very predictable one.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Good contract, good job Jimbo.

Looking at Coleman at $4.9 million for 6 years makes this shine even brighter. Garland and Horvat seem like players that would absolutely mesh together

Reactions: Get North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->