Senators Off-Season Discussion 2024 Mega Thread

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
To Columbus: Korpisalo G, Joseph LW/RW & Brannstrom LD ($9 mil out)
To Ottawa: Patrick Laine RW ($8.7 mil in) (Columbus retains $3.7 mil for 1 yr)

UFA: Magnus Hellberg G ($1 mil @ 1or 2 yrs)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Laine
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Sokolov - Kastelic - MacEwan/Kelly - $50 mil

Chabot - Roy
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $29 mil

Ullmark - Hellburg - $6 mil = $85 mil
Why does Columbus do this exactly? Also, they can't retain salary for only 1 year

Reactions: Masked

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why does Columbus do this exactly? Also, they can't retain salary for only 1 year
To get rid of Laine & that $8.7 mil contract & free up some cap space to change their team around. Laine has not lived up to that contract & doesn't seem to be doing very well since that trade to move him to Columbus, it doesn't seem to be a very good fit at all there for him or them.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
To Columbus: Korpisalo G, Joseph LW/RW & Brannstrom LD ($9 mil out)
To Ottawa: Patrick Laine RW ($8.7 mil in) (Columbus retains $3.7 mil for 1 yr)

UFA: Magnus Hellberg G ($1 mil @ 1or 2 yrs)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Laine
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Sokolov - Kastelic - MacEwan/Kelly - $50 mil

Chabot - Roy
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $29 mil

Ullmark - Hellburg - $6 mil = $85 mil

Huh….now how does Ullmark magically end up on the Ottawa roster .

1714559089725.gif

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
To get rid of Laine & that $8.7 mil contract & free up some cap space to change their team around. Laine has not lived up to that contract & doesn't seem to be doing very well since that trade to move him to Columbus, it doesn't seem to be a very good fit at all there for him or them.
So why do they take on another boat anchor contract in Korpisalo on top of retaining on Laine then?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
My point is that Brannstrom is not this hidden gem that only a few Sens fans can see. He is a serviceable bottom pair D on a non playoff team that you can throw out there in the regular season. He is what he is, there is no untapped potential and 2M+ is too much for that.

You know that $2M projects to be about 2.4% of the cap this year, right? Less than 1/40th of our total cap space.

This isn't 2008. $2M is nothing these days. If we were to re-sign Brannstrom at $2M our 5-8 D this coming year (Brann, JBD, Kleven, Hamonic) would likely fall at just under $5M. To me that group is cheap and ticks a lot of boxes on the depth chart.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You know that $2M projects to be about 2.4% of the cap this year, right? Less than 1/40th of our total cap space.

This isn't 2008. $2M is nothing these days. If we were to re-sign Brannstrom at $2M our 5-8 D this coming year (Brann, JBD, Kleven, Hamonic) would likely fall at just under $5M. To me that group is cheap and ticks a lot of boxes on the depth chart.
2M+ is too much with our cap situation. We need a RD, a goalie, a vet F who can PK and a Pinto extension. That’s close to 20M right there.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
2M+ is too much with our cap situation. We need a RD, a goalie, a vet F who can PK and a Pinto extension. That’s close to 20M right there.

You cheap out and have Kleven playing in your top 4 when Sandy or Chabot goes down, as well somebody like Hamonic and/or Sebrango playing on the bottom pair, and we're cooked for another year.

Our problem right right now is that we have $21M in LD costs ahead of Brannstrom. The biggest challenge for Staios is to move out Chychrun and get a RD of equal cap hit, give or take.

As for a goalie? We aren't getting one unless he's A) super cheap or B) replaces one of goalies who is outgoing. In both scenario's there is very little cap impact. Let's say that amounts to an extra $2-2.5 M in camp space.

After that we have about $10M in cap space. Plenty of room for Pinto and to upgrade on guys like Kastelic, Katchouk, MacEwen and/or Parker. I'd like to see one or two 4th line vets who are quick to get in on the forecheck and play a solid defensive game. Some more speed and tenacity is needed throughout our lineup.

If the Sens decide to move on from Brannstrom I'm totally fine with that. I'm not fine with the replacement just being Tyler Kleven. I think he'll struggle for significant stretches next year. So if they want to move out Brannstrom they need to bring in a veteran and I think it's unlikely that they'll find a better one in UFA for $2M.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You cheap out and have Kleven playing in your top 4 when Sandy or Chabot goes down, as well somebody like Hamonic and/or Sebrango playing on the bottom pair, and we're cooked for another year.

Our problem right right now is that we have $21M in LD costs ahead of Brannstrom. The biggest challenge for Staios is to move out Chychrun and get a RD of equal cap hit, give or take.

As for a goalie? We aren't getting one unless he's A) super cheap or B) replaces one of goalies who is outgoing. In both scenario's there is very little cap impact. Let's say that amounts to an extra $2-2.5 M in camp space.

After that we have about $10M in cap space. Plenty of room for Pinto and to upgrade on guys like Kastelic, Katchouk, MacEwen and/or Parker. I'd like to see one or two 4th line vets who are quick to get in on the forecheck and play a solid defensive game. Some more speed and tenacity is needed throughout our lineup.

If the Sens decide to move on from Brannstrom I'm totally fine with that. I'm not fine with the replacement just being Tyler Kleven. I think he'll struggle for significant stretches next year. So if they want to move out Brannstrom they need to bring in a veteran and I think it's unlikely that they'll find a better one in UFA for $2M.
I think Pinto is coming in around 6M and we may be in the 5-7M range on the RD.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think Pinto is coming in around 6M and we may be in the 5-7M range on the RD.

$6M is too high for Pinto and the RD should be around 5-6, I agree there. But Chychrun is moving out at $4.6. So a net gain of ~$1M.

If we go 3 years for Pinto he should get about $4M. I say we either go 3x4 or 5x5.
Still leaves plenty of money so that our bottom pair/depth doesn't have to be league minimums and AHL players.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Laine missed a chunk of last season. He had a concussion early in the season, then a broken clavicle afterwards, and then went into the players assistance program. I provided a link below on the player’s assistance bit. I’m not trying to defend him. I am just providing info.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
$6M is too high for Pinto and the RD should be around 5-6, I agree there. But Chychrun is moving out at $4.6. So a net gain of ~$1M.

If we go 3 years for Pinto he should get about $4M. I say we either go 3x4 or 5x5.
Still leaves plenty of money so that our bottom pair/depth doesn't have to be league minimums and AHL players.
What do you think Pinto gets on a 5-6 year deal

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

6M is fine for Pinto if it is 5-8 years. The closer you get to 8 years, the better it is.

You have to keep in mind that the cap is quickly approaching 100M. Under the current cap, a solid UFA 3C is 4.5M-5.0M, more if they have some sort of intangibles like size or are known to be great defensively.

Pinto hasn't been used as a shutdown guy, but he is very good defensively. He wins lots of faceoffs. He has size. We were playing him 20+ minutes a game some nights. He's proven that he can produce at a certain level. He improved his production (on a point per game basis) this season, despite missing training camp and the first half of the season.

He is never going to be cheaper to extend. If we bridge him, he probably will prove to be a consistent 20+ goal 50+ point center who can win faceoffs, play 18-20 minutes a game, hit, and play with size. He will reach UFA status under a 100M+ cap, and he will cost 8M+ to keep. God forbid if he finds another level offensively and hits that 60-80 point type level. Then he's a 9M or 10M+ center as a UFA under an elevated cap.

Signing him at 6M, outside of an injury ruining his career, the worst case scenario is that we have a solid middle 6 center who is 1M-2M overpaid.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
6M is fine for Pinto if it is 5-8 years. The closer you get to 8 years, the better it is.

You have to keep in mind that the cap is quickly approaching 100M. Under the current cap, a solid UFA 3C is 4.5M-5.0M, more if they have some sort of intangibles like size or are known to be great defensively.

Pinto hasn't been used as a shutdown guy, but he is very good defensively. He wins lots of faceoffs. He has size. We were playing him 20+ minutes a game some nights. He's proven that he can produce at a certain level. He improved his production (on a point per game basis) this season, despite missing training camp and the first half of the season.

He is never going to be cheaper to extend. If we bridge him, he probably will prove to be a consistent 20+ goal 50+ point center who can win faceoffs, play 18-20 minutes a game, hit, and play with size. He will reach UFA status under a 100M+ cap, and he will cost 8M+ to keep. God forbid if he finds another level offensively and hits that 60-80 point type level. Then he's a 9M or 10M+ center as a UFA under an elevated cap.

Signing him at 6M, outside of an injury ruining his career, the worst case scenario is that we have a solid middle 6 center who is 1M-2M overpaid.

I agree. If he wants 6 as his AAV we need to get him long term. Although that strategy with another C who has had shoulder issues has not panned out.

But short term he does not have much of a track record to demand $6M.

What do you think Pinto gets on a 5-6 year deal

5x5 is right in the post you quoted.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I don’t think Branstrom will want to re-sign for 2mill to be a third pairing guy. He’s a good depth option for us, but is he ready to give up thoughts of higher potential?

Tough call for all.

Reactions: Relapsing

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Our fourth line needs to be taken out back and shot. That whole line is useless. They're not even a great checking line. Their for check is very limited, once in awhile you'll see some decent hits but rarely do they get behind the defense or cause enough pressure. Sure, once in awhile they'll surprise somebody. But for the most part, that whole lie is AHL vets. Not a single. One of them deserves to be in the NHL. Those guys don't help us make the playoffs. They are fillers. I don't know if I can be any more direct then I just have been. They make our team softer.

Talking about soft our defense is like A bunch of string beans that are not meant to throw around the body. Chabot can barely stay healthy as is.

I love Sandy but I doubt he's going to fill out much more. He might add a couple of pounds.

We already have a Dylan Demelo, except we spell it capital Zub. I wish he had the mean streak of Ovie who are the former Ottawa Senator Volchenkov.

Klevin is going to be a beauty but we can't put that physical dependence on a rookie. It's going to take time for him to feel comfortable throwing his body around at a higher level. I'd rather him just focus on defense than getting out of position trying to run guys.

After that we have what Branny And has no Puck skills until he passes the red line. He's like the little engine that couldn't. People's obsession with him is unhealthy for this team's playoff drought. He's going to price himself out of the lineup. Time to cut bait. Get what we can for him after a better year than previous. I don't see him getting any better.

JBD, I call him ghost because he don't see him do anything out there. He only shows up when it's time to let a goal in. I am highly doubtful that he is an NHLer.

Hammer needs to retire. Make him a consultant for the final year of his contract or a 7th defenseman man if we really have to. However, I would rather call up from the AHL than use him. The only thing he is good for is showing the players how to use their body and block shots and take pucks to the Head.

The bottom half of our defense needs to be top heavy, stay-at-home defense, physical smart veterans. Are top three guys can move around pretty good but they could not check their way out of a paper wet paper bag. They also are a little suspect at defending at times.

One thing I know is we got enough Young players as our core. Now we need to start plugging the holes and giving compliment players via trade or UFA signings. Let's face it. The cupboards are bare. It's going to take a long time to draft and we need to draft for eventual departures.

I think it's a waste of time for us to even debate about the goaltenders. That's like debating if the sun is yellow or not. They are hot trash and nobody is going to argue that. How do we fix that? It's going to take some creativity and it's going to cost us a pretty penny to do it.

I think If we managed to do half of what we need to do, it'll be a successful off-season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
FORWARDS

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Batherson
Giroux-Pinto-Norris
Greig-Ostapchuk-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Katchouk
Crookshank
Macewen
Smejkal

All players here are good in their positions. I even like the extra 3 and would especially like to be able to fit crookshank in somehow.

So the question is..do we really need/want to move any of these guys out?

Defense is a lot more obvious. We need a top RHD and maybe another vet to play with Kleven.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
FORWARDS

Giroux-Pinto-Norris
Greig-Ostapchuk-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Katchouk
Crookshank
Macewen
Smejkal

All players here are good in their positions. I even like the extra 3 and would especially like to be able to fit crookshank in somehow.

Defense is a lot more obvious. We need a top RHD and maybe another vet to play with Kleven.
Small nit pick, but why have Giroux, a righty, on the left, and Norris, a lefty, on the right?

I'm not sure Ostapchuk is ready for 3rd line center duties, I like that as a long term projection, but I'd be hesitant to pencil him in there. I could see penciling him in as a guy that will earn that spot by Jan, but we need to have a backup plan (might be Norris, but then who plays top 6 wing)

I also would like to see us as some grit and vet presence, preferably a penalty killer.

To me, this is a lower priority, RHD is obviously the top need, I think a 3rd pair upgrade comes next, then that gritty vet up front.

Oh, and obviously, a goalie is priority numero uno, but realistically, we may have a hard time getting out of what we have...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So why do they take on another boat anchor contract in Korpisalo on top of retaining on Laine then?
Less money, $4.7 mil less. They might be able to move Korpisalo to someone else.

Laine missed a chunk of last season. He had a concussion early in the season, then a broken clavicle afterwards, and then went into the players assistance program. I provided a link below on the player’s assistance bit. I’m not trying to defend him. I am just providing info.

Yes, I know all of that, are you thinking he won't be able to play any more or has lost his skillset? He's 26 yrs old.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
FORWARDS

Giroux-Pinto-Norris
Greig-Ostapchuk-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Katchouk
Crookshank
Macewen
Smejkal

This is much of the same team that finished 26th overall, with the exception of adding a rookie into the top 9. We need to aim higher. I think it's going to take more than simply adding an RHD and a goalie to have this team improve at least 10 spots.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
The top half of the teams in the NHL (approximately) make the playoffs. We can’t be far off from being above the median with our talent right? Need to support the talent with the right type of players including veterans. I know we all know this, I’m just pondering how hard the NHL is as a league and that we are consistently below average despite some significant up and coming talent. New coach (the right coach) should help a lot, need to get that right.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
FORWARDS

Giroux-Pinto-Norris
Greig-Ostapchuk-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Katchouk
Crookshank
Macewen
Smejkal

Ostaphcuk is not ready which opens the need for a veteran bottom-6 center.
Norris is not 100% so it would be prudent to bring in a reclamation project middle-6er who will ask for 1-2M/aav (think of a player similar to Connor Brown)

Defense, like you said, clear cut. Bring in a legit, right-shot top-4 and another top-6 big mean guy.

Move on from Chabot or Chychrun (probably the latter) to fit everything under the cap.

Upgrade Forsberg to Brossoit.

This is what I would do.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Small nit pick, but why have Giroux, a righty, on the left, and Norris, a lefty, on the right?

I'm not sure Ostapchuk is ready for 3rd line center duties, I like that as a long term projection, but I'd be hesitant to pencil him in there. I could see penciling him in as a guy that will earn that spot by Jan, but we need to have a backup plan (might be Norris, but then who plays top 6 wing)

I also would like to see us as some grit and vet presence, preferably a penalty killer.

To me, this is a lower priority, RHD is obviously the top need, I think a 3rd pair upgrade comes next, then that gritty vet up front.

Oh, and obviously, a goalie is priority numero uno, but realistically, we may have a hard time getting out of what we have...
I’m trying to get Norris in his money spot. One of the teams most dangerous weapons is Norris’ one timer from the right side. He’s otherwise pretty average. This is assuming he’s able to shoot the puck by then. I figured giroux is capable enough to play anywhere without much difference.

Ostapchuk I think will be in the lineup by mid season if not to start the year so I threw him in. If he’s not ready then that could be the spot that needs filling.
But you could also move Greig to center and put crookshank in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad