Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So the Canucks have basically traded four years of Schmidt at close to $6m a season for Poolman, at $2.5m over four years.

Obviously the Jets figure they're getting the far better d-man.....but is the difference worth $3.5m more a season? I guess we're about to find out.

We also recouped a 3rd round pick back so it's really the Jets that gave a 3rd round pick to replace Poolman with Schmidt. The Canucks just rented Schmidt for a year and signed Poolman.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
So the Canucks have basically traded four years of Schmidt at close to $6m a season for Poolman, at $2.5m over four years.

Obviously the Jets figure they're getting the far better d-man.....but is the difference worth $3.5m more a season? I guess we're about to find out.
Yeah I'd think is actually

Reactions: mathonwy

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Screenshot_20210805-122226_Samsung Internet.jpg

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
IMO a solid signing. Legit NHLer who will play bottom pairing but can move up if needed no problem. 1 year too much but that is probably why its only 2.5mil a year. He is making less than Roussel and Beagle lol.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm guessing the Canucks scouted Poolman extensively during his three year career with UND, two of those seasons as a teammate of Brock Boeser.

So it's obvious to me that they've been interested for some time. You only hope that the Canucks based their four-year contract offer on what he's actually accomplished in the NHL with the Jets.

If not, then it won't be the first time Benning has expended assets on a d-man for what he did in junior or in college rather than what did as a pro. The likes of Pedan, Pouliot, Clendening, Larsen, Gudbranson etc come to mind.

Sometimes Benning's amateur scouting background is help....but when it comes to acquiring players once they've graduated to the pros, maybe not so much.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
After transformative summer, key to Canucks' redemption is commitment

With the salary cap and trade-capital limitations, the Canucks didn’t upgrade their defence like they did the forwards group. Ekman-Larsson over Alex Edler, the career-Canuck who signed with the Los Angeles Kings, is an upgrade. But signing Tucker Poolman to replace Nate Schmidt is a downgrade. So where is the improvement?

Green: “Every team has stronger and weaker defencemen individually. I like the group of defencemen that we have. But team defence is exactly that -- it's team defence. Part of that is commitment when you're in your own zone, part of that is a commitment not to cheat in certain areas of the game, and part of that is having the puck more. With the changes we've made, we will have the puck more. But we're going to have to be very committed in certain parts of our game.”

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So what do we have in Poolman? He only has 120 NHL games and just turned 28. He came up through the NCAA where the season is only 40 games long (meaning less wear and tear on his body).

two questions:

1. How was he in Winnepeg? What level did he play at? Was a #5 (in other words, a good bottom pairing D), or was he more of a #6. Or was he worse than that, like a 7-8?

2. IF we assume that he can continue to improve as a player (based on the factors noted in the beginning of my post), could he end up becoming a #4? This is a big ‘if’ though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So what do we have in Poolman? He only has 120 NHL games and just turned 28. He came up through the NCAA where the season is only 40 games long (meaning less wear and tear on his body).

two questions:

1. How was he in Winnepeg? What level did he play at? Was a #5 (in other words, a good bottom pairing D), or was he more of a #6. Or was he worse than that, like a 7-8?

2. IF we assume that he can continue to improve as a player (based on the factors noted in the beginning of my post), could he end up becoming a #4? This is a big ‘if’ though.

For what it's worth:

1. Poolman spent (by far) most of his time playing with Morrissey who logged the most minutes among Dmen for the Jets.

2. I think it's about the "pairing." A Dman's ability to log minutes is what determines the "numbering" for me. Poolman apparently struggled when he was asked to handle more minutes so I'm not sure if he will end up being a #4. But it is a bit of a technicality. I like to go back to Jovo's partners. Neither Lachance nor Malik are considered top pairing Dmen but they sure were the best options as Jovo's partner back in the day. Take Bieksa who was terrible as Jovo's partner. No one in their right minds would have thought that Casual Kev could be a top pairing shutdown Dman (alongside Hamhuis) until he was just that.

So what do we have in Poolman? I don't know, but I think we can expect him to be a good bottom pairing Dman?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Poolman was able to be reasonably effective with an offensive d-man like Morrissey in the 'Peg, then maybe the figuring is that he could eventually find a home on the right side with either Hughes or Rathbone.

But if that doesn't work out, then Schenn and Hamonic have both proven they can partner with an offensive d-man and be a solid, stay-at-home type of partner. And then Poolman simply drops down the lineup.

For some sort of perspective, the Canucks shelled out $2m over two years for Jordie Benn. A contract of $2.5m for a younger, depth d-man in Poolman is something you can live with.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If Poolman was able to be reasonably effective with an offensive d-man like Morrissey in the 'Peg, then maybe the figuring is that he could eventually find a home on the right side with either Hughes or Rathbone.

But if that doesn't work out, then Schenn and Hamonic have both proven they can partner with an offensive d-man and be a solid, stay-at-home type of partner. And then Poolman simply drops down the lineup.

For some sort of perspective, the Canucks shelled out $2m over two years for Jordie Benn. A contract of $2.5m for a younger, depth d-man in Poolman is something you can live with.
For some more perspective, having a garbage Benn in the lineup consuming what little cap space we had left meant Joulevi had less gametime than he would've otherwise this past season (as the Canucks more or less said the reason he couldn't get into the lineup as much was because of cap issues).

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Thinking like Green and Benning (my brain already hurts), they prefer experienced players to take the heavy defensive duties. Green likes Myers anchoring the 3rd pairing, and OEL has already been mentioned as our #1D by Benning, so we are probably looking at:

OEL - Hamonic top "shut down" pairing - get the most 5v5 minutes
Hughes - Poolman defensive player with our semi-sheltered offensive star
Rathbone - Myers whatever it takes to lower Myers' 5v5 minutes

Big questions about the PK: Can Bone(or Juolevi) adequately play NHL PK? If OEL/Pool/Ham/Myers kill a penalty, who plays RD directly after the kill? Seems poorly thought out on Benning's part

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

two questions:

There was a pretty overwhelming consensus from Jets fans that they liked him as a low-maintenance 3rd pairing guy but hated it when he was moved up the roster into top-4 minutes.

This lined up with what I saw in a lot of viewing of him this year. Solid limited low-event 3rd pairing guy who would be a good replacement for Benn at a cheap price. Not a top-4 guy in any way.

Reactions: elitepete

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There was a pretty overwhelming consensus from Jets fans that they liked him as a low-maintenance 3rd pairing guy but hated it when he was moved up the roster into top-4 minutes.

This lined up with what I saw in a lot of viewing of him this year. Solid limited low-event 3rd pairing guy who would be a good replacement for Benn at a cheap price. Not a top-4 guy in any way.
That's a pretty freaking low bar. Career journeyman Fanta was often an upgrade over Benn.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's a pretty freaking low bar. Career journeyman Fanta was often an upgrade over Benn.

I think he's better than Benn, but a good fit for that role.

Fantenberg was f***ing awful. He had a good first 5 games and then was one of the worst Canuck defenders in modern memory after that, but his good impression from those first couple games just seemed to stick to him.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

i was surprised to see he got 2.5 minutes more per game at ES than DeMelo did last year.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
What are the thoughts or impressions on his skating ability? Is he mobile or just mobile for his size? I will admit, when I watched Jets games, I didn't pay much attention to him

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's a lot better than Benn and that was abundantly clear by Jets fans also. The fact that most thought he could ideally anchor a 3rd pair is a good sign. Players like Schenn and Benn at these stages of their careers are best suited to limited minutes and games and wouldn't be considered anchors for anything other than anchors for their partners if overplayed regulars.

These are very clear and important distinctions for the criticisms of Poolman and the contract. Blurring the lines is convenient for negativity but lacks accuracy and is where a argument falls flat if drawing comparisons. It's also important to realize that when building from UFAs your going to be paying market price not internal wholesale or bargain bin if you want shitty fillers like the aforementioned players. Poolman will provide some stability and backbone to the group. As a 5 he should be a nice addition and worth his deal providing he stays healthy enough.

Swapping Schmidt for Poolman a 3rd and 3.4m in cap space is a deal i can get behind if he is capable of playing 17 even strength minutes a night without costing us. Schmidt (maybe without his supplements?) was a rather vanilla player here and certainly not worth 6 million playing as he did and unfortunately whether it had to do with Holtby or whatever personality conflicts he had the former Caps all looked bad in Canuck blue for the most part and it will be good to move on.

10 million for OEL and Poolman vs 10 for Edler and Schmidt isn't much of a progression other than making us younger. The major push will have to come from Hughes Hamonic and Rathbone for us to be collectively better on D. These 3 having solid years plus having solid play when needed from Schenn and Juolevi as well as better support from the forwards is vital to being a playoff team.

Now if we can swap out Myers for Pulock by next off season that would be something that could really help the top end portion of our group. Not holding my breath

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I get you qualified this by saying you aren't holding your breath, but this seems pointlessly optimistic.
Yes it's pretty much fantasy world. Could see Pulock moving on though potentially with Mayfield and Dobson on the right side in NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad