Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Think Poolman is a better fit the Hughes than with OEL. I don't think Hamonic-Hughes pairing is all that good and Hughes' offensive production took a nosedive with Hamonic.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Think Poolman is a better fit the Hughes than with OEL. I don't think Hamonic-Hughes pairing is all that good and Hughes' offensive production took a nosedive with Hamonic.
I would agree, but that's why I mentioned Travis Green in my last post. Our coaches (and gm) clearly like that pairing. That's why he got 3$M/yr. If Poolman actually is a good fit with Quinn his contract is brilliant (then we can move on to bitching about 3rd pairing Hamonic's contract).

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
define second pairing. there are 2/3ds, 3ds,4ds and 4/5ds.

hamonic averaged over a minute less last year than any prior season. leaving aside icetime, he is nowhere near what he was in his prime.

poolman was only a minute behind hamonic on icetime last year.

I had honestly misread your original post and I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I had posed that question.

But I'm really interested in seeing how Poolman and Hamonic are utilized this season. I don't feel Hamonic/Hughes was an effective pairing last season and I'm skeptical of Poolman being much better.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think people get too caught up on giving a guy a lable based on where they think he fits in. Like sure Poolman isnt a top pairing guy but if he fits with Hughes and they play the most minutes on the team while having good chemistry who cares if he is a 4 or a 6. Chemistry is just as important as individual skill, just look at Vegas top line, They aren't the most skilled guys and individually they are arguably 2nd liners but there chemistry makes them a very solid first line

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Poolman and Josh Morrissey played in a shut-down role for the Jets last season, but from all reports weren't all that effective. However that combo did manage to shut down Draisaitl and McDavid in a four-game sweep in last spring's playoffs, so who knows?

I'd feel better about the Canucks assessment of pro hockey d-men, if I didn't already know that they've previously expended draft capital on the likes of Pouliot, Pedan, Gudbranson. Clendening and Larsen, among others. And also signed a long list of forgettable UFA's headed by the likes of Weircioch, Benn, Fantenberg, Del Zotto and on-an-on it goes.

I mean sooner or later, a UFA d-man signing has to work out? Right?

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Poolman and Josh Morrissey played in a shut-down role for the Jets last season, but from all reports weren't all that effective. However that combo did manage to shut down Draisaitl and McDavid in a four-game sweep in last spring's playoffs, so who knows?

I'd feel better about the Canucks assessment of pro hockey d-men, if I didn't already know that they've previously expended draft capital on the likes of Pouliot, Pedan, Gudbranson. Clendening and Larsen, among others. And also signed a long list of forgettable UFA's headed by the likes of Weircioch, Benn, Fantenberg, Del Zotto and on-an-on it goes.

You shouldn't be allowed to list that group of d-men without some kind of trigger warning.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Fanta wasn't that bad as far as journeymen D goes. Played well enough to beat out complete waste of cap space Benn (lucky his play bounced back to a small degree to get us a 4th round pick at the cost of using of cap space to prevent Joulevi from getting some needed NHL game experience last season).

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The D-core in Winnipeg was:

Morrissey-DeMelo
Forbort-Pionk
Stanley-Poolman

Poolman played with Morrissey when DeMelo got hurt in game 1. I don't think Poolman has super elite puck skills, but he's got IQ defensively and physically wins a lot of puck battles. The gap control, skating, skills can be exposed by guys like McDavid, Stone and MacKinnon.

Even if we signed Jason Demers for 1 year deal, this D-core needs help from their forwards. If our defencemen can clear the zone by going boards and out, then we need forwards to play at a fast pace with good forechecking and backchecking.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I think the difference is offensive skill. Hakanpaa has absolute zero awareness in the offensive zone whereas Poolman looks for lanes to shoot, pass, and even activate on the forecheck

I would have been happy with both but I can see why Canucks think he has more upside.

The difference between Hakanpaa and Poolman's defensive game FAR outweighs the vey minimal difference offensively between the two. Especially when we are discussing a shut down, matchup style defenseman.

One got less $$ and less term than the other, like in most cases we ended up with the lesser player for more $$ and term. If Jim Benning's ability to negotiate contracts is in question, our pro scouting departments ability to find Dmen should be even more so. Unfortunately, this is a case that marries both weaknesses into very peculiar decision.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So are we all In agreement we will hate on Poolman regardless of performance, crapping all over his every mistake ??

I just wanna be on the same page as everybody
I dont know ...Brandon Sutter, and Tyler Myers are still here...
7UqP.gif

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The difference between Hakanpaa and Poolman's defensive game FAR outweighs the vey minimal difference offensively between the two. Especially when we are discussing a shut down, matchup style defenseman.

One got less $$ and less term than the other, like in most cases we ended up with the lesser player for more $$ and term. If Jim Benning's ability to negotiate contracts is in question, our pro scouting departments ability to find Dmen should be even more so. Unfortunately, this is a case that marries both weaknesses into very peculiar decision.

Is it Benning's fault that one player wanted to play with Finnish players on the Stars and was willing to take much less salary offered for other teams to fit into the team?

I mean, why didn't Benning keep Finnish Virtanen, right?

We just can't focus on ourselves when discussing a signing. The player is the ultimate decider.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m maintaining he’s going to prove a lot of people wrong. I really like this player and think he’s going to be a good fit with our team.
My expectations are not very high, but I tend to agree with you.
Sometimes it's less about the individual players and more about the fit with the team. I've watched some pretty underwhelming defensive groups on paper play well because they had the right mix. Montreal just made it to the SCF relying on a banged up Weber who will never play again. Obviously we don't have a group even with anyone at the level of Weber and Petry but I do think this group could be a better mix than last year even though overall I don't think they are more talented. Still not good enough but a step up.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
What does that have to do with labeling anyone who criticizes Benning as "haters"?

Again, this goes both ways, either you put those labels away, or you forfeit all rights to object when you get labeled yourself.

I think the player deserves an opportunity to play first.

If you get a new job and instantly your coworker says you don't deserve the pay and position and how HR made the mistake and they could have found someone cheaper and better than you, how would you feel?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I’m maintaining he’s going to prove a lot of people wrong. I really like this player and think he’s going to be a good fit with our team.

I still don't like the contract, but I like the player as a defensive bottom pairing guy. My expectations for him is to be a steadying presence for Rathbone, and to be able to keep his head above water when injuries hit. If he can do that for the duration of his contract he will earn his contract, or at least most of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->