Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jim Vandermeer to a 1-Year, 2-Way, $600K Deal

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
dman on the outs for a forward? 10 capable legit defenseman on the roster.

Hamhuis
Bieksa
Edler
Garrison
Ballard
Tanev
Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
Joslin?
Connauton?

I don't know if I would consider the last four particularly capable top 6 defensemen. I doubt this is anything but Gillis understanding that in a shortened season with a defense corp like the Canucks which is already very injury prone that the team might need quite a few defensemen.

Evolution10

Best In The World
Jan 3, 2008
British Columbia
It's always good to have as much depth on D as possible, never know who could get injured.

Heard on TEAM1040 Vandermeer has been skating with some of the Canucks for awhile now so seems like a good fit

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
If the guys put in a good word for him and got him the contract, you can bet he'll be more than willing to show his appreciation and stand up for them on the ice.

Nov 1, 2011
That said, it isn't impossible to switch sides. I'd like to see Edler or Garrison commit to it. Either is talented enough and both are good enough skaters to make the switch imo.

I believe Edler's been playing the right side so far in camp...so I guess we know who the coaches are expecting to commit to moving over. Let's hope it works out better than it did when we acquired Ballard and Hamhuis.

If LD vs RD is so important I'd be okay with:

Hamhuis - Tanev
Garrison - Bieksa
Edler - Corrado
Vandermeer

Next year assuming we need to replace Ballard with a minimum contract for cap reasons.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I like this better then barker because we at least have some grit and a guy who can fight now, should we ever need him.

I would dress his him as the last d man when we play the hawks.

Interwebuserguy

Aug 2, 2005
Speaking from my own experience playing defense, I find I'm a lot more comfortable and effective DEFENSIVELY on the left side being a left handed player. The main reason for this is the sweeping poke check from right to left that I'm used to executing at the right time. The goal is to angle the forward to the outside then sweep check them outwards as they feebly attempt to go outside or even worse (for them) when they cut in. It's a much stronger check that way than from the left to the right.

Offensively I prefer the right side for the simple fact that I prefer making the strong move outside. The right side caters to this better Imo. A better shot angle doesn't hurt either ;).

For this reason I believe that a defensive player like vandermeer is better off playing their natural side . This is not as important to the offensive defensemen.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's not so much about as it is about digging the puck off the wall quickly, efficiently, and safely without slowing up the breakout and transition game.

If I remember correctly, Aaron Rome getting killed by Taylor Pyatt a few years back is an example. But I could be wrong on that one.

Not on my phone anymore so I found it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Never bad to have enough depth, since we know injuries WILL happen. I like this signing. So cheap too.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
From what Dallas fans are saying Fistric had trouble cracking their line-up before Rome ever arrived.

I was keeping this thought firmly in mind when I strolled over to the trade board and saw Fistric went to the Oilers for only a 3rd rounder. Was trying not to remind myself of his Giants days...

Anyway, I like this signing a lot more than the Barker signing, like everyone who has ever watched hockey.

I was entertaining a slight fantasy that AV might actually let Connauton or Corrado do a little more than hold towels during practice or haunt the press box during what we all know will be a very brief appearance here before the season (such as it is) starts. Foolish of me, I know.

Oh well, at least Vandermeer can crack some skulls.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
It's always good to have as much depth on D as possible, never know who could get injured.

Heard on TEAM1040 Vandermeer has been skating with some of the Canucks for awhile now so seems like a good fit

Vandermeer lives in Gastown most of the year apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad