Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jim Vandermeer to a 1-Year, 2-Way, $600K Deal

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think you are just enamoured by the fact that Fistric is a former first round draft pick that captained the Giants. Fistric hasn't developed very well and has regressed recently. He was the 6th defenseman on a below average blue line in Dallas.

His underlying statistics were also poor.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

No, I actually watch a lot of Dallas' games being that I live here in Dallas...he's a huge, punishing defenseman who would easily render Alberts expendable. I understand he's not a realistic fit, but I would have loved him on this team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Looks like some of the team advocated on Vandermeer's behalf.

Brad Ziemer @BradZiemer 32m
Vandermeer says some of the #Canucks he skated with at UBC during the lockout spoke to management on his behalf.
View details ·

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma 14m
Jim Vandermeer on new Canuck teammates going to bat for him for one-year contract: "They said some good things about me." (contd)
View details ·

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma 13m
More Vandermeer: "It shows their character and what they think of my character."
View details ·

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Does Vandermeer play the right side?

Seriously, we can't just sign Alberts, Barker, then Vandermeer if none can play the right side.

lol why do you keep harping on about this right side stuff, they're 7/8 defensemen, they can barely play on their traditional side

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
:laugh: I've often wondered how often this comes up on other boards.

How many actually remember how this started?

He wanted Dmen playing on their proper side so when the puck was sent around the boards they didn't have to play the puck on their backhand...

And its snowballed since then both on the team and on here...

Pseudonymous*

:laugh:

I just saw this signing now.

oh man, the people in the other thread can suck it now

Pseudonymous*

Playing on the proper side is pretty big, most players wouldn't be nearly as efficient on the opposite wing/ D side.

I know when i play hockey (im right handed) , i am not even close to as good on the right as i am on the left, huge difference. though not everybody is like that but i think its pretty important, especially when youre paying somebody alot of money like garrison and youre a cup favorite team, little differences like that add up

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Not too shocked with the 2 recent signings due to our history and MG's history of stockpiling dman. Tho signing 2 when we already signed one before the lockup = now probably 10 dmans that have experience means we are not adding any dman in a Luongo trade (namely if we get a dman, we'll likely deal one in the process). That or Ballard is going to NYI.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
How many actually remember how this started?

He wanted Dmen playing on their proper side so when the puck was sent around the boards they didn't have to play the puck on their backhand...

And its snowballed since then both on the team and on here...

A guy that has played the left side his whole career has pivoted to his strong side 1,000's of times more than to the weak side, watched the play develop from that side, made passes from that side, played one one one angles etc, etc etc. Also any player playing their off side is carrying the puck in the middle of the ice. I think any good coach is going to pay attention to it.

That said, it isn't impossible to switch sides. I'd like to see Edler or Garrison commit to it. Either is talented enough and both are good enough skaters to make the switch imo.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
A guy that has played the left side his whole career has pivoted to his strong side 1,000's of times more than to the weak side, watched the play develop from that side, made passes from that side, played one one one angles etc, etc etc. Also any player playing their off side is carrying the puck in the middle of the ice. I think any good coach is going to pay attention to it.

That said, it isn't impossible to switch sides. I'd like to see Edler or Garrison commit to it. Either is talented enough and both are good enough skaters to make the switch imo.

That was basically my point.

That and during the course of the game you spend a decent portion of it on your off side anyway.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
These low-skill physical d-men ought to be able to play either side really easily, it's not like they have to make pinpoint outlet passes.

It's not so much about as it is about digging the puck off the wall quickly, efficiently, and safely without slowing up the breakout and transition game.

If I remember correctly, Aaron Rome getting killed by Taylor Pyatt a few years back is an example. But I could be wrong on that one.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
It's not so much about as it is about digging the puck off the wall quickly, efficiently, and safely without slowing up the breakout and transition game.

If I remember correctly, Aaron Rome getting killed by Taylor Pyatt a few years back is an example. But I could be wrong on that one.

AV's bizarre love triangle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad