Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Ian Cole to 1-Year, $3M Deal

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I have hung out with most of the 2011 Canucks over the years and the Sedins are the only ones that weren’t chronic cheaters
I saw Alex Burrows at the club Twelve West on Granville. The thing is, Habs had a GAME IN Edmonton that same night, this was Dec 3rd 2022. I was like wtf, buddy dips Edmonton as soon as the game was over and hops on a flight to Van and he goes to the nightclub. He’s just hugging up and grinding on all these bottle service girls and was hammering shots after shots lol. Jake Allen and David Savard were there too.

It’s funny because they got their asses handed to them by the Oilers and a couple hours later they’re getting shitfaced in Van :laugh:

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Had a friend, who often will see Matt Cooke, naslund, bertuzzi, yes Markus naslund, Canuck players at the Roxy. She said that you are very likely to bump into a Canuck player at the Roxy after (any) home game. If the visiting team doesn’t leave yet you will also players from visiting teams and the Roxy and yes, you will find Canuck players and opposing players at the same club after they faced each other just a hour before.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think this is probably the most likely outcome here.

Cole is interesting as a one-year rental. But i think somewhere in there, was the promise that he'd have a good shot at riding shotgun with Hughes. He's as good as a lot of the other partners Hughes has been subjected to over the years.

I think Soucy is probably the guy they look at as a more long-term fit beside Hronek. Hence the longer-term deal.

Not sure how it's going to work with 2 fringe bottom-pairing sort of defencemen in our Top-4. But i guess we'll see just how good Hughes and Hronek are.
Yeah, I think Soucy and Cole are solid enough in their own right but they are more fringey top-four guys at this point. The blueline is definitely improved, but it's gone from horribad to below-average. We'll see if that cuts it.

Drance said this on Canucks Talk today, and he is right. The blueline is better, but it does have a lot of variance in the range of outcomes possible. Soucy and Cole might be perfectly effective in elevated roles, or they might flop completely (especially with Cole's age). Hronek might carry over his 5v5 play from last season, or regress closer to what he was the rest of his career. There's a lot of downside risk.

Hughes, we know what we'll get. Elite level play.

At any rate, Hughes will still log by far the heaviest TOI load, followed by Hronek. I expect the actual TOI distribution on defense to be more of a top 1,then a 2, then 3-4 guys.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Had a friend, who often will see Matt Cooke, naslund, bertuzzi, yes Markus naslund, Canuck players at the Roxy. She said that you are very likely to bump into a Canuck player at the Roxy after (any) home game. If the visiting team doesn’t leave yet you will also players from visiting teams and the Roxy and yes, you will find Canuck players and opposing players at the same club after they faced each other just a hour before.

Is it time to rehabilitate Shane O'Brien's image? We should probably cut him some slack for following the examples of the team's leaders? Plus there wasn't social media then so he probably didn't even get lessons on avoiding being photographed with beer goggles on. :sarcasm:

Stories of Scotty Bowman's curfews and Willie Mitchell's stories about how he and the vets gave a rookie their sleep bracelet give me chuckles.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

In 2010 I was at the Roxy Burger after the Canucks played the Red Wings. Samuelsson walked in with a bunch of his former teammates. They had a bite then went over to the Roxy proper.

Reactions: lawrence

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Luongo cheated at the same rate as Bieksa/Kesler.

Saw him walking into his downtown condo near false creek with a 10 back in the day. A few Canucks lived in that area.

I lived across the road so I saw a few of them on occasion. Especially after home games.

Its a disgrace.
I dont think that’s true.
Yeah, I think Soucy and Cole are solid enough in their own right but they are more fringey top-four guys at this point. The blueline is definitely improved, but it's gone from horribad to below-average. We'll see if that cuts it.

Drance said this on Canucks Talk today, and he is right. The blueline is better, but it does have a lot of variance in the range of outcomes possible. Soucy and Cole might be perfectly effective in elevated roles, or they might flop completely (especially with Cole's age). Hronek might carry over his 5v5 play from last season, or regress closer to what he was the rest of his career. There's a lot of downside risk.

At any rate, Hughes will still log by far the heaviest TOI load, followed by Hronek. I expect the actual TOI distribution on defense to be more of a top 1,then a 2, then 3-4 guys.
Drance is incredibly boring. No shit there is a variance in possible outcomes. Number 5 elevated to number 4. A guy that’s one year older and may suddenly fall off a cliff. Youmy dman could regress. You could literally say this about any team in the league. It would be nice if he was insightful for once and not just list a variety of potential negative outcomes

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Is it time to rehabilitate Shane O'Brien's image? We should probably cut him some slack for following the examples of the team's leaders? Plus there wasn't social media then so he probably didn't even get lessons on avoiding being photographed with beer goggles on. :sarcasm:

Stories of Scotty Bowman's curfews and Willie Mitchell's stories about how he and the vets gave a rookie their sleep bracelet give me chuckles.

O'Brien's problem was that he thought he was much better and more important than he was.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Also this unofficially retired thing is weird
You either retired it officially or let others wear it
This

Also find it odd that some people are more upset at Ian Cole than the team.

Who should know about Bourdon’s number, 1 guy who’s never played here or 1 of the 20+ people working in the front office and PR?

Last edited:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Uh, those aren't good examples. What are you basing them on?

With Brown and Mclean, the literal day that Carolina acquired Mclean from us, they 86'd Brown for like a 6th round pick an hour later. Seems like a funny 'coincidence'.

And the Bure/Messier one, I mean anyone over 35 who has been around the game has heard that one from multiple multiple sources.

I'm basing them off facts. Sorry, you hearing evidence from some drunk guy in a bar just doesn't count.
On Jeff Brown vs Kirk McLean
- McLeans ex-wife has made it clear that she had never even met Jeff Brown. Keep in mind, Brown was only with the team for 72 games which included a shortened lockout year. The same lockout mentioned in the Bure article below.
- The McLeans divorce records state that there was no infidelity, if there was on her behalf you can bet that Kirk would have used that to reduce/eliminate how much his ex-wife would get in a settlement.
- McLeans ex-wife has had interviews where she states how unhappy she was being a hockey wife and she wasn't happy since long before they even arrived in Vancouver.
- Also regarding your comment that Carolina 86'd brown an hour later. It was actually 2 YEARS later... but you know, facts right? (Canucks traded brown to Hartford Dec 19, 1995. Toronto acquired him Jan 2, 1998.

On Bure
- Bure had requested a trade in November 1993, LONG before Mark Messier had even arrived in Vancouver (July 1997) and was promised one long before as well. This is widely known that he'd asked out for over 4 years before Messier had even arrived. It was due to Canucks management doing typical Canucks Management things and treating Bure like shit. Knowing that you're obviously too lazy to look any of this stuff up and would just prefer to base your knowledge on Rumours that you heard from some guy in a bar... here's the Bure evidence. Again, WIDELY known for years.

You keep being you though man. Just keep listening to that drunk guy in the bar that comes at you with all the facts....

At this point it's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about, making facts up... and talking out of your ass.

Last edited:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I'm basing them off facts. Sorry, you hearing evidence from some drunk guy in a bar just doesn't count.
On Jeff Brown vs Kirk McLean
- McLeans ex-wife has made it clear that she had never even met Jeff Brown. Keep in mind, Brown was only with the team for 72 games which included a shortened lockout year. The same lockout mentioned in the Bure article below.
- The McLeans divorce records state that there was no infidelity, if there was on her behalf you can bet that Kirk would have used that to reduce/eliminate how much his ex-wife would get in a settlement.
- McLeans ex-wife has had interviews where she states how unhappy she was being a hockey wife and she wasn't happy since long before they even arrived in Vancouver.
- Also regarding your comment that Carolina acquired brown an hour later. It was actually 2 YEARS later... but you know, facts right? (Canucks traded brown to Hartford Dec 19, 1995. Carolina acquired him Jan 2, 1998.

On Bure
- Bure had requested a trade in November 1993, LONG before Mark Messier had even arrived in Vancouver (July 1997) and was promised one long before as well. This is widely known that he'd asked out for over 4 years before Messier had even arrived. It was due to Canucks management doing typical Canucks Management things and treating Bure like shit. Knowing that you're obviously too lazy to look any of this stuff up and would just prefer to base your knowledge on Rumours that you heard from some guy in a bar... here's the Bure evidence. Again, WIDELY known for years.

You keep being you though man. Just keep listening to that drunk guy in the bar that comes at you with all the facts....

At this point it's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about, making facts up... and talking out of your ass.

Just to get this thread back on topic I'm going to say that some guy at the bar told me Ian Cole cheated on Kirk McLean with Mark Messier.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I agree and disagree all at the same time... like I understand what he is saying, and yeah of course he is correct. When you change out 3/4 top 4 guys who know how it will come together, but Cole was absolutely a top 4 guy last year. Because of injuries sure, but that doesn't mean he wasn't. The big question is will this be the year he ages out?

Soucy was a #5 and has been for a while. He will be asked to be a #4... I don't see too much of an issue, but sure he could falter...

I think no matter how I look at it, unless something happens its a much better defense than last year in every way. I am most worried about how they come together, than I am about if each part is good enough. its a lot of parts to change out.

Reactions: Indiana

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
If the Canucks can get a guy like Peeke while getting rid of Myers it’s definitely a vastly improved defence.

I’d view it as
#2: Hughes
#3: Hronek
#4: Cole
#4 - #5’s who could end up as top 4 players: Soucy, Peeke
#6: Wolanin

All in all it’s not bad, maybe league average if things come together and the pairings mesh. And relatively cheap as well.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If the Canucks can get a guy like Peeke while getting rid of Myers it’s definitely a vastly improved defence.

I’d view it as

All in all it’s not bad, maybe league average if things come together and the pairings mesh. And relatively cheap as well.
Hughes isn't a #2

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver

I’d view it as

LOL WHJAT???!?!?

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
He can be that without quite being a true #1 defenceman. You are free to view him however you wish.
I would love to hear what your reasons are to suggest that Quinn Hughes isn't a true #1 dman. His stats, underlying stats, possession etc all point to him being right up there with basically anyone.

I need a good laugh, please explain.

Reactions: racerjoe

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I saw Alex Burrows at the club Twelve West on Granville. The thing is, Habs had a GAME IN Edmonton that same night, this was Dec 3rd 2022. I was like wtf, buddy dips Edmonton as soon as the game was over and hops on a flight to Van and he goes to the nightclub. He’s just hugging up and grinding on all these bottle service girls and was hammering shots after shots lol. Jake Allen and David Savard were there too.

It’s funny because they got their asses handed to them by the Oilers and a couple hours later they’re getting shitfaced in Van :laugh:
Well if you want to get shitface, Van is better than Edm

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I would love to hear what your reasons are to suggest that Quinn Hughes isn't a true #1 dman. His stats, underlying stats, possession etc all point to him being right up there with basically anyone.

I need a good laugh, please explain.

First of all it’s a pretty subjective definition but for me there are only a handful of players who I’d describe as such. Basically an exceptional impact at both ends of the ice - Hughes defence has improved dramatically but I wouldn’t describe him as an exceptional defender due to not being a great pk’er and a general inability to box opposing forwards out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad