Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Ian Cole to 1-Year, $3M Deal

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Should help the PK, but very worried about his even strength play as it has not looked good the last few years.

Glad it's only for 1 year - at minimum we should be getting a bottom pairing guy who can help improve the PK, which is more helpful than what half this defensive core was doing last year.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think it’s more like:

Hughes-Cole
Soucy-Hronek
Wolanin-Myers

With Myers hopefully on the trade block and his caphit reallocated to a more permanent RD or 3C solution.
Good to see that at least one person has Wolanin making the team. I'm predicting that on merit he earns a spot in training camp, but that he's lost on waivers. (and plays regularly for the team that picks him up, and outproduces whoever sticks on the left side of the Canucks bottom pairing—yes, I'm one of those negative guys ...)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
oh man i vaguely remember him being low key me tooed, but i don’t remember any details, or if any ever surfaced

A random internet post accused him of grooming them as a minor but the league investigated and they couldn’t identify the source and apparently some of the timelines didn’t line up. So that went away and the credibility of that accusation is very suspect.

But he also left Carolina under a cloud after having an affair with the team’s rinkside reporter.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
A random internet post accused him of grooming them as a minor but the league investigated and they couldn’t identify the source and apparently some of the timelines didn’t line up. So that went away and the credibility of that accusation is very suspect.

But he also left Carolina under a cloud after having an affair with the team’s rinkside reporter.

i mean, consenting adults are allowed to have extramarital affairs right?

or was there more at play in carolina?

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
i mean, consenting adults are allowed to have extramarital affairs right?

or was there more at play in carolina?
A twitter user tweeted that Cole had groomed young girls wearing school uniforms throughout his career. A investigation that included attempts at contacting the account holder of the tweet were fruitless. The account holder never responded, likely making the story up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I look at the Cole accusations the other way.

What does this person have to gain by anonymously posting that information and then going away? This isn't a money grab or anything like what is often said about accusers.

This seems like it's obviously real in that it's someone who Cole has really wronged. Whether that's a scorned ex who wants to ruin someone or it's a high school girl that he was hooking up with, I don't know. But dismissing it because the NHL did doesn't make sense.

All that being said - I hate that we're in a society where people can ruin or attempt to ruin lives so easily with little or no proof. So if Cole didn't do anything and is a decent guy, then fair enough. Obviously that's the hope here.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Can either Cole or Soucy play the right? I was reading something on this I thought but can’t remember.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Good to see that at least one person has Wolanin making the team. I'm predicting that on merit he earns a spot in training camp, but that he's lost on waivers. (and plays regularly for the team that picks him up, and outproduces whoever sticks on the left side of the Canucks bottom pairing—yes, I'm one of those negative guys ...)
The Travis Green ptsd

Reactions: Lindgren

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can either Cole or Soucy play the right? I was reading something on this I thought but can’t remember.
Cole was used mostly on the right for multiple teams. I am sure you will see him play some games on the right.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He certainly sounds like an intelligent vet, going by his interview just now on 650. Interesting that he referenced Brad Shaw. Shaw really seemed to be a missed opportunity for the Canucks.

I don’t think there was any chance of Shaw staying. Leaving was also best for his career. He’s now got a say in the Flyers roster via Tortorella.

Was one of the few good hires by past management, though.

Reactions: me2

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
Slightly concerned about some of the stuff in his background and he is an older UFA … but he was also top-4 for TB last year and is a standout PK guy.

Tidy signing.
I mean we can't just cancel someone over an anonymous tweet. What happens if it happens to Pettersson before a playoff game?

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
So then…

Hughes-Cole
Soucy-Hronek

Or

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Cole

Not bad

Option A definitely. Yup, it’s a MAJOR improvement from most of last year.

It’s hard not to salivate at the prospect of the following in two years if Willander progresses how we hope:

Hughes-Willander
Soucy-Hronek

Ideally, we will get someone better than Soucy in that Top 4. But even still, it starts to look pretty solid.

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad