Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign C Teddy Blueger to 1-Year, $1.9M Deal

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Silovs must be happy. Another Latvian :D:D
When you think about it, this signing is genius.

A defensive minded Latvian 3C in front of a Latvian goalie? He'll put his body on the line even more stopping pucks in the slot. It'll be like having two goalies.

Reactions: Play

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Nice to see one year deals

Was hoping for some sort of offence from 3C though. Blueger has none.

I'm still hopeful we see another centre brought in. Teddy would make an excellent 4c if they found another centre and dropped him. No complaints at 3C if this is where he plays.

Reactions: dez

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I fail to see why everyone slots him at 3C automatically.

Aman is young and can still grow. Perfect to let him fight with Blueger for the spot.

Good deal.

Aman would have to take such an enormous leap in development if he were all of a sudden able to effectively PK and have a good faceoff%.

I agree they will battle for ice time but by traditional standards we are saying Blueger is the 3C because of those traits.

Reactions: andora and MarkMM

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I fail to see why everyone slots him at 3C automatically.

Aman is young and can still grow. Perfect to let him fight with Blueger for the spot.

Good deal.

because aman wasn't good last year. his line got dominated regularly and put up zero offense

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Today I learned that Blueger is Latvian.
Wow honestly I thought the Latvian thing was a joke for some reason and then looked it up.:eek3::thumbu::oops:

Feels strange tbh. Its almost like we are striving to do the smart thing..
It does seem like a good day today but looking at the Canucks roster I think that it looks better on paper than in real life as somehow it's still a real mish mash of perhaps non compatible players.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wow honestly I thought the Latvian thing was a joke for some reason and then looked it up.:eek3::thumbu::oops:

It does seem like a good day today but looking at the Canucks roster I think that it looks better on paper than in real life as somehow it's still a real mish mash of perhaps non compatible players.

I actually think the team is constructed much better than it has been in recent years. They acquired players today that fill specific needs and didn't just sign/trade for BPA.

I'm still not sure if the team is that good, though. And they still need another center.

Reactions: MarkMM and wetcoast

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Feels like a slight overpayment but that's the UFA premium. More importantly, only a one year deal.

Huge issue we had before is that we were overpaying AND giving term...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I actually think the team is constructed much better than it has been in recent years. They acquired players today that fill specific needs and didn't just sign/trade for BPA.
Fair enough as the back end is much better construction than last year but I was thinking more of the forward group.

I'm still not sure if the team is that good, though. And they still need another center.
This has been and will continue to be a problem until we develop some quality and quantity with our draft picks.

Reactions: m9

dez

Mar 3, 2012
With management and coach being more cohesive, Bleuger should get a fair shot at pk duties, I remember BB running Horvat/Miller instead of Lazar last season, one of the reason Lazar failed here.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I'm still hopeful we see another centre brought in. Teddy would make an excellent 4c if they found another centre and dropped him. No complaints at 3C if this is where he plays.

Yeah, cap space permitting, if we landed a 3C that's a right-handed shot, good at faceoffs and penalty killing, is fast and can be a defensive shut-down player with size, ~$2.5M mark, that would push Blueger from being a stretch 3C to a higher-end 4C and the team would be well constructed throughout, with the biggest question being Soucy and Cole being slightly pushed higher in the line-up than they've historically paid, but at least unlike Benning, they're being paid what they're worth so at least it's not paying $7.25M for a below replacement level OEL and $6M for a bottom pairing Myers.

This is a good foundation that with good culture and structure from Tocchet, internal growth and good drafting is something you can see the makings of a contender within the window of our core's prime years.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You know Izzy, it is possible that Michael McLeod wanted to stay in NJ. Players do have some say in their destination
Careful, you'll get a webster's definition of a player agent if you're not careful.

The consensus around here seems to be:

JFresh says Canuck is good = chart good
JFresh says Canucks is bad = chart bad
You don't think this is a tad reductive?

JFresh basically sucks, but it's about what you do with the information he provides.

Many people these days on hfboards post a JFresh graphic and then brush off their hands like their point has been made.

But in terms of showing what a player's impact was on a specific team/what role he was playing when it's also reinforced by the eye-test?

Nobody thinks that having more information is bad. It's just in how it's used and how lightly it is presented.

Reactions: biturbo19

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
because aman wasn't good last year. his line got dominated regularly and put up zero offense
I felt this way for about the first 50 games. But around that point it felt like he figured some things out and started doing a better job of protecting the puck with his body while finding passing options.

I think he began to discover that even though the NHL is fast, you do have some time out there if you take it.

I think Blueger will take defensive draws and do the PK but I wouldn't be surprised if Aman ends up playing more 5-on-5 than Blueger by the end of the year.

Reactions: andora and wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad