Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign C Teddy Blueger to 1-Year, $1.9M Deal

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I honestly feel Blueger doesn't get enough love for how he's transformed our "3rd line" into a legitimate two-way threat, while driving possession night after night. Looks like he's back to the form he showed during his Pittsburgh days.

Guy's a priority re-signing IMO.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Blueger has been nothing short of impressive. I was pleased with this signing and it has exceeded everyone's expectations.

I would re-sign Blueger at a moderate price on low-term.

He will likely be looking to score a Kampf+ type deal in the offseason though, which I wouldn't really want to commit to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Play

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
He's been great, but we might not be able to afford to re-sign him. Feel this was his "show me" deal, and he'll be looking for some term and AAV on his next contract. Of it's something like 3 years/$10m not sure we can do that.

Does raise an interesting question: assuming Garland is still here, if we could afford to bring back just one of Blueger or Joshua, which do you sign?

I feel that Suter could be productive between DJ and Gnarly Garrly, and even Aman or possibly Raty could fill in.

Think I'd prioritize Joshua to be honest, assuming similar contracts.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
If we think that the success and chemistry of Blueger and Joshua with Garland can be maintained, how much does it cost to re-sign them? How much would be too much? It honestly might be imperative, given the struggles of forming a reliable "2nd Line". Is the money better spent on a top notch winger to separate Pettersson and Miller to solve the 2nd line issue? I am inclined to not mess with a good thing or give up on a proven commodity for an uncertainty, but I guess we've got until the end of the season to sort that out.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If we think that the success and chemistry of Blueger and Joshua with Garland can be maintained, how much does it cost to re-sign them? How much would be too much? It honestly might be imperative, given the struggles of forming a reliable "2nd Line". Is the money better spent on a top notch winger to separate Pettersson and Miller to solve the 2nd line issue? I am inclined to not mess with a good thing or give up on a proven commodity for an uncertainty, but I guess we've got until the end of the season to sort that out.
if it comes down to it, the chemistry between Blueger and Garland is more noticeable than with Joshua. they read off each other better, since that line is possession/forecheck based. having BLueger's defensive conscience and positioning is a higher priority than forecheck/finishing of Joshua.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Unsung hero, easily. He gets no attention (less than Pius Suter, even), despite being an equally important piece of a line that's been critical to our success.

Probably our best defensive forward alongside Pettersson, great on the PK, and even somehow doesn't look bad on the 2nd PP unit, despite being viewed as a hands-of-stone guy heading into this season.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You've got to give Allvin some props for signing guys like Blueger, Suter, Cole, Soucy and picking up guys like Lafferty and DeSmith.

I mean on July 1st, with the possible exception of Soucy, they were the flotsam and jetsam on the UFA market.....nobody really wanted them. But they've come into Vancouver and transformed the team's character and depth.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Liked the signing when it was made, love it even more so far.

Sucks that they couldn't get him locked in for 2 years like Suter

Reactions: Raistlin

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You've got to give Allvin some props for signing guys like Blueger, Suter, Cole, Soucy and picking up guys like Lafferty and DeSmith.

I mean on July 1st, with the possible exception of Soucy, they were the flotsam and jetsam on the UFA market.....nobody really wanted them. But they've come into Vancouver and transformed the team's character and depth.

I would absolutely not give Allvin props for signing three guys the first day of free-agency to a combined 8.whatever million cap hit if no other teams wanted them. What?

Reactions: HairyKneel

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
best case - he loves his role and the success he's had here, and he agrees to commit short-term below market - something like a $7.25m/2 year deal

average case - the pro scouts have to do some work and the negotiators have to convince the next blueger to sign here for cheap. the market doesn't look great but maybe kevin stenlund or thomas novak are that guy

worst case - the team gets attached to him, gives him a big dollar and term deal (ie. $17m/4 years or $22m/5 years) and he turns into a pumpkin with something changed (ie. joshua walks)

it's cool that we identified him once, but truly well run teams (vegas) don't get attached to unsung third liners.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

no one wanted Suter, but there is a healthy market for Blueger and Soucy for sure. Cole very likely too as vet presence.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Blueger and Joshua could both be looking at 3-4m in free agency,

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Dickinson got $4.25 mil a year. Blueger is actually good so if he continues at the point pace must be looking for $7-8 mil a year :laugh::sarcasm:

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad