Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Getting this highly sought after free agent looks good on this new management team, and gives me confidence that they can bring in the right pieces to build around the big core pieces we already have.

I have to think with Kuzmenko now in the mix at elc, somebody has just become highly expendable. I hate to say it, but I think JR will be looking to unload Boeser. Maybe someone else to so they can sign Kane, who fits the mild of what Rutherford is looking for.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Miller
Boeser
Kuz
Podz
Horvat
Garland
Pettersson
Hoglander

Forward group doesnt look too shabby....now.about that D...?

D was performing at a top 5 pace under BB.

To quote Rutherford, "I don't mind the defence.'

Miller won't be traded unless Canucka are not competing by the trade deadline. When you add essentially a high impact asset at league minimum, you build to win.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Getting harder to temper expectations, but something like 10G and 25-30A seems realistic for Kuzmenko. Anything more and we should be ecstatic.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
1655750868005.jpeg

Pretty slick!

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
My money is personally on one of Horvat/Miller being gone. I think Pettersson slides to the middle and skates between Boeser and Kuzmenko, while Podkolzin and Garland will be the wingers for whichever of Horvat/Miller stays.

Just my hunch.

That's my take away as well. Not sure of the line combinations until everything shakes out, though. If Miller is the only forward moved out, then you could realistically go with the following:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Podkolzin
Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-???-Garland
???-???-???

Depending on who the 3rd line centre is, that could be a decently effective forward group.

I expect more changes, though.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

This is interesting...I also wonder if Podkolzim played a part in this...Podz spends his off season in St Petersburg, which is where Kuz resides....They were also teammates in 2020-21.

Good on Boudreau for going the extra mile..Bruce, there he is...

Last edited:

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Hoglander Pettersson Podkolzin
Kuzmenko Miller Boeser
Pearson Horvat Garland
Dickinson Lamikko Highmore

At least the forwards are playoff caliber

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think a lot of credit has to go to Allvin who has kept in touch with him regularly through the years. These personal relationships are just so important and likely got the Canucks the interview in the first place.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Apparently it was the first meeting in Michigan that really set the tone for Kuzmenko and by the time he got to Vancouver it was more about just seeing the city and meeting ownership.

Additionally:

Reactions: Indiana

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Kuzmenko Miller Boeser
Pearson Horvat Garland

Trade Dickinson for cap savings and have Lockwood in the 4th RW position.

Pearson-Miller-Garland
Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Horvat-Kuzmenko
HIghmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

I still think it might be worth letting Lammiko go and have Lazar as the 4C, Canucks need a RH center in the line-up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My money is personally on one of Horvat/Miller being gone. I think Pettersson slides to the middle and skates between Boeser and Kuzmenko, while Podkolzin and Garland will be the wingers for whichever of Horvat/Miller stays.

Just my hunch.
As cool as this signing is for the organization..I would still put the brakes on any expectations, that he is going to replace/ or be better than any of our current core forwards.

The NHL is a lot faster than the KHL (remember how slow Podz looked in camp..?..he had to find another gear to keep up)..Hopefully Kuz's game translates.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
As cool as this signing is for the organization..I would still put the brakes on any expectations, that he is going to replace/ or be better than any of our current core forwards.

The NHL is a lot faster than the KHL (remember how slow Podz looked in camp..?..he had to find another gear to keep up)..Hopefully Kuz's game translates.

It's also not the speed but the pace. Everything moves at a faster rate; decision making, passes, etc. For a 26 year old, that'll be the big adjustment. Training his muscle memory to go at a faster rate. Given his age and upcoming contract status, you hope that he can adjust faster than most rookies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Trade Dickinson for cap savings and have Lockwood in the 4th RW position.

Pearson-Miller-Garland
Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Horvat-Kuzmenko
HIghmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

I still think it might be worth letting Lammiko go and have Lazar as the 4C, Canucks need a RH center in the line-up.
I like Lockwood/Highmore but I think we still need a fast aggressive sandpaperish bruiser. Deslauriers would be great but someone will pay him like $2m

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Kuzmenko Miller Boeser
Pearson Horvat Garland

bit green on the top line W, maybe Garland slots up there and one of thse 2 moves to 3W

I still will be happier if they find a way to move Miller for big prospects and picks, and also find a way to move (and replace) Myers. Free up a ton of cash, get younger ...i still see us like the Avs pre-Duchene trade ..still have a long way to go, need to move away from the big-money over-30 set.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Regardless of Kuzmenkos performance, its a free asset, and man does it feel good hearing our coach and GM doing the right things, the right way. Gotta love seeing them put in the effort and thought process to get these types of players.

Reactions: geebaan

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Great start to the offseason for the new regime. Expect to see JTM dealt, and am excited to see how the roster looks midway through July.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad