Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’m excited that we signed this player but I think I’m more excited that we now have a management group capable of making a signing like this.

Kuzmenko was getting the same contract from whoever signed him, and the fact that we were able to make a presentation and win out over other quality NHL organizations based on the merits of our organization going forward is massive.

This could never in a million years have happened with the previous group in place, and even picturing Jim Benning trying to organize something like this is comical.

The only trick Benning had in is bag was just to offer more money to try and get deals done. BEAGLE MIGHT BE GETTING 3 YEARS ELSEWHERE? UH HERE, TAKE 4 FROM US!

Like I said earlier, a Western Canadian team signing a top Russian free agent over LA and Florida is not something that I can remember happening in a very long time.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
So, fellow Canucks' fans — I don't know much about Andrei Kuzmenko, but he appears to be a highly coveted prospect by many NHL teams.

If any of you don't mind breaking him down and giving me the condensed version of both his assets and his weaknesses, I would be greatly appreciative.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Free asset. Good job from management. Hope it works out.

Also, at some point Edmonton needs to stop relying on the 80s glory days to attract players.....

Reactions: B-rock

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I’m excited that we signed this player but I think I’m more excited that we now have a management group capable of making a signing like this.

Kuzmenko was getting the same contract from whoever signed him, and the fact that we were able to make a presentation and win out over other quality NHL organizations based on the merits of our organization going forward is massive.

This could never in a million years have happened with the previous group in place, and even picturing Jim Benning trying to organize something like this is comical.

The only trick Benning had in is bag was just to offer more money to try and get deals done. BEAGLE MIGHT BE GETTING 3 YEARS ELSEWHERE? UH HERE, TAKE 4 FROM US!

This x 100.

My feeling on this was even if he landed somewhere else it was nice to be in the mix. Sometimes I think with these kinds of things you can actually have the best presentation etc but the player just wants to play elsewhere. For example, from the outside it looks like what was best for him was probably signing in EDM to cash in on his next contract. In terms of quality he was better off in LA or FLA. We actually beat teams out that had more to offer on the ice at-least (other than maybe opportunity).

The idea is in the process, that they put themselves in a spot to pick up a free asset and if you can do that enough times eventually it hits.

For the first time in a long time it feels like we just got some arbitrage on the rest of the NHL. This is a good day even if this guy isn't in our lineup at Christmas time. Different feeling from management.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Pleasantly surprised that this got done. Speaks well to the new management team's ability to entice players without having to pay extra to get them here.

If he ends up playing a middle 6 role and contributing on the powerplay, that's big surplus value without having to draft + develop or expend assets to acquire - something that hasn't really happened in the last 7 or 8 years for us.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So, fellow Canucks' fans — I don't know much about Andrei Kuzmenko, but he appears to be a highly coveted prospect by many NHL teams.

If any of you don't mind breaking him down and giving me the condensed version of both his assets and his weaknesses, I would be greatly appreciative.

This is culled from posts and articles written about him.

Strengths:
-high motor
-adept at creating neutral zone turnovers
-plays down low and in the corners
-good playmaker and shot
-typically plays the roll of shooter on the PP

Weaknesses:
-decent size but nothing special
-doesn't really have an elite skill
-not sure if he can keep up with the North American pace or how long it will take him to adjust
-his offensive skills on the PP are a bit redundant considering Pettersson and Boeser also fill that role
-profiles more as a 3rd liner until proven otherwise
-occasional defensive errors

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Looks like a sub 6 foot player who has good hands and make plays -specifically around the net, loves to operate near the goal line and even behind the net.

top 6 or bust type of player, hes not fast so will be pretty useless in the bot 6.

canucks absolutely need to add size/toughness in the top 9.

Should at least help the pp, if used correctly.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I know the Benning cartoon was retired, but I can't help but picturing a Benning on Empty of them trying to make a presentation.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

There’s like three posters on this board who can claim to have watched a KHL game in the past year, so I think we are all relying on info from articles.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
His highlights look great -- his playing style reminds of Miller but with better stickhandling skills. Miller uses brute force and puck movement to create room in the offensive zone while Kuzmenko likes to pull moves to create room.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Canucks new Managment group has been such a breath of fresh air, Looks like everybody is on the same page, Very organized, and just an overall promising start

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
His highlights look great -- his playing style reminds of Miller but with better stickhandling skills. Miller uses brute force and puck movement to create room in the offensive zone while Kuzmenko likes to pull moves to create room.

He looks more like Garland to me. Shifty player that likes to make passes and scores in close to the net.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not sure if this has been posted already;

Lots of highlights from the PP here. He's the down low guy, and SKA seemed to use that "pass to the bumper" play a fair bit, much like the Canucks have with Horvat in that bumper slot. Seems like Kuzmenko should be familiar with that setup.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to echo what a lot of other posters have already pointed out......without a regime change, it's doubtful this player signs in Vancouver. But Allvin and Rutherford are obviously doing their homework, particularly with players in Europe.

Undoubtedly it will take him awhile to adjust to the smaller rink and the heavier physical play. But based on that highlight package alone, you can definitely see that he projects as a legitimate top-six winger. Pretty hard to acquire one of those, without giving up any assets.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This is culled from posts and articles written about him.

Strengths:
-high motor
-adept at creating neutral zone turnovers
-plays down low and in the corners
-good playmaker and shot
-typically plays the roll of shooter on the PP

Weaknesses:
-decent size but nothing special
-doesn't really have an elite skill
-not sure if he can keep up with the North American pace or how long it will take him to adjust
-his offensive skills on the PP are a bit redundant considering Pettersson and Boeser also fill that role
-profiles more as a 3rd liner until proven otherwise
-occasional defensive errors
Thank you. I appreciate that.

So basically, we can be hopeful that he may have a
positive effect on our team, but we also shouldn't be expecting Gretzky 2.0.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted already;

Lots of highlights from the PP here. He's the down low guy, and SKA seemed to use that "pass to the bumper" play a fair bit, much like the Canucks have with Horvat in that bumper slot. Seems like Kuzmenko should be familiar with that setup.

I've been waiting to see if he signs before posting but this guy is a fantastic fit for our PP1.

As you noted, he played at the goalline in Russia, but he seems far more comfortable in that spot than anyone on our team. He seems far more comfortable executing the wrap-arounds and jam plays common at that spot on the ice.

Brock has manned that spot and I believe Miller tried it as well. Neither seemed like a great fit there - I think both those players want to be on the half-wall. I suspect Miller will be moved and Brock fills his spot on the PP.

Kuzmenko could then slot in on the PP1 there. I don't see elite skill but I see very good skill and a player who constantly plays in the dirty areas of the Ozone.

Not saying he'll get there but I see the potential for a 60 point player, which is a huge add for nothing. It seems we are giving him every chance and hopefully he succeeds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad