Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
“Andrei Kuzmenko will likely help a second power play unit and be a bottom-six forward who brings a lot of energy and can help create offence.

It’s not all about the points with Kuzmenko, I really like his effort level in KHL hockey and he generates a lot of turnovers in the neutral zone that he then quickly transitions to offensive breaks that lead to odd-man rush scoring chances. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to in-zone defending against NHL players but there’s no question about his motor. Kuzmenko gives a full effort on every shift and he was rewarded for his effort last year in the KHL.

He might surprise and become a top-six forward. I just think that the jump is very tough to do. Kuzmenko has the hand that makes him a good option to join the top-six in a pinch but I could easily see him being a player who actually finds some success on the penalty kill if he is given the opportunity. It’s going to take a coach who believes in him to add that to his game and Bruce Boudreau might be the right guy for that job.

My projection is that he scores 7-15 goals and adds 10-25 assists.”

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Andrei Kuzmenko will likely help a second power play unit and be a bottom-six forward who brings a lot of energy and can help create offence.

It’s not all about the points with Kuzmenko, I really like his effort level in KHL hockey and he generates a lot of turnovers in the neutral zone that he then quickly transitions to offensive breaks that lead to odd-man rush scoring chances. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to in-zone defending against NHL players but there’s no question about his motor. Kuzmenko gives a full effort on every shift and he was rewarded for his effort last year in the KHL.

He might surprise and become a top-six forward. I just think that the jump is very tough to do. Kuzmenko has the hand that makes him a good option to join the top-six in a pinch but I could easily see him being a player who actually finds some success on the penalty kill if he is given the opportunity. It’s going to take a coach who believes in him to add that to his game and Bruce Boudreau might be the right guy for that job.

My projection is that he scores 7-15 goals and adds 10-25 assists.

Maybe but that wasn't the selling point:

Certainly seems like he has the skill to be a productive top-6 forward and it'll come down to how fast he can adjust and what opportunities he gets.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Doesn’t matter if he busts
It’s been a while where a hot commodity FA actually choose Vancouver
Says a lot of the current management ability
Benning and Green would not have gone the whole way to see him or seal the deal. Maybe a Zoom call by Green without Benning. Good riddance to the past regime.

Reactions: Indiana

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
As I said in the other thread, no matter how this turns out it's a great start for management.

Yep. Being chosen as the most desirable landing spot for a guy that was highly coveted and woo'd by multiple organizations is a great sign.

If he can have an impact, that's some serious gravy, too.

I don't care if he busts, but we finally beat out other teams in something. This a major win and I'm not letting any negativity ruin this day.

WE WON THE f***ING KUZMENKO SWEEPSTAKES!

This is a BIG win. Even if he turns into a nothing burger, we finally got a big fish and it's only a 1 year deal.

His advanced stats suggest a near PPG season based on his KHL #s from this year.

Dont we actually kind of need this guy to be really good?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Organization NHL LW chart is now: Miller, Pearson, Kuzmenko, Hoglander.

Probably nice for them to have at least one certainty pencilled into their top nine left side going into the draft because I don’t see any of the previous three as guarantees to be back next season.
I’d bet money Miller and Pearson are gone before the start of the season.

Whether that was mentioned or not, who knows.

But if I’m Kuz, and you put 2 and 2 together, you see there’s the opening to play a lot on the Top 2 lines.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If Kuz pans out, he helps the rebuild/retool quite a bit. Either he makes us more competitive, or we deal him at the deadline for more assets. Win-win.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Dr_Bruce_Cusamano.png

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Well, obviously yes that's the hope.

For the moment, just celebrating the fact that a coveted player chose Vancouver. That's a win.

It'll be an even bigger win if he ends up performing. But it's a long off-season to wait until we get to see how that's going to look.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

All depends on your perspective of what the purpose of next season is. Personally, I view it as the reset year. Probably finish around the same spot or a little worse. Play competitive games, integrate players (returning and new) into a new system and culture, and evaluate who's a long term part of the next great Canucks teams.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well, obviously yes that's the hope.

For the moment, just celebrating the fact that a coveted player chose Vancouver. That's a win.

It'll be an even bigger win if he ends up performing. But it's a long off-season to wait until we get to see how that's going to look.
I’m excited that we signed this player but I think I’m more excited that we now have a management group capable of making a signing like this.

Kuzmenko was getting the same contract from whoever signed him, and the fact that we were able to make a presentation and win out over other quality NHL organizations based on the merits of our organization going forward is massive.

This could never in a million years have happened with the previous group in place, and even picturing Jim Benning trying to organize something like this is comical.

The only trick Benning had in is bag was just to offer more money to try and get deals done. BEAGLE MIGHT BE GETTING 3 YEARS ELSEWHERE? UH HERE, TAKE 4 FROM US!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

We didn't trade a pick. We didn't sign him to a bloated contract with stupid term. It's a free asset.

Other teams legitimately wanted this guy. This is a major W.

I don't care if he ends up sucking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad