Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A coach with the record as bad as the Canucks really has few options when it comes to getting a player's attention.

Sitting in the pressbox is about the only leverage he has. Hoglander, Podkolzin and now Kuzmenko have each taken turns in purgatory. I guess Boudreau found their defense wanting.

Meantime at various times some of the Canuck veterans have outright 'sucked'. But no banishment for them. But it's the coach's prerogative I guess.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Absolutely asinine that Kuzmenko gets scratched.

He should be on a line with Petterson getting PP1 time for the remainder of the season in order to pump his value and flip him at the deadline.

This team does everything so ass backwards it's ridiculous.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

He should be on a line with Petterson getting PP1 time for the remainder of the season in order to pump his value and flip him at the deadline.

Is it..?....Against OTT he had zero hits, zero blocks, zero shots on goal, and one giveaway....He took the night off..Also didnt play well against MON or TOR...

I missed the TOR game, but his reviews didnt look good.

"Kuzmenko had a poor game in Saturday’s 3-2 loss in Toronto, where he made a couple of bad defensive reads that led to Leaf scoring chances. The Canucks were outshot 6-2 while he was on the ice and Kuzmenko did not get a shift in the final 5:34 when the Canucks were: pressing for a tying goal, had a power play and attacked six-against-five at the end. Instead, zero-goal scorer Brock Boeser was in Kuzmenko’s spot.

It’s true that Kuzmenko has a lot of defensive work to learn as an NHL rookie transitioning to a faster game on a smaller surface. It’s also true that even after the Toronto game, he leads Canuck regulars in shots-for percentage (54.2) and is second to linemate Elias Pettersson in expected-goals (56.6 per cent)." Sportsnet.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

dman34

May 6, 2011
Is it..?....Against OTT he had zero hits, zero blocks, zero shots on goal, and one giveaway....He took the night off..Also didnt play well against MON or TOR...

I missed the TOR game, but his reviews didnt look good.

"Kuzmenko had a poor game in Saturday’s 3-2 loss in Toronto, where he made a couple of bad defensive reads that led to Leaf scoring chances. The Canucks were outshot 6-2 while he was on the ice and Kuzmenko did not get a shift in the final 5:34 when the Canucks were: pressing for a tying goal, had a power play and attacked six-against-five at the end. Instead, zero-goal scorer Brock Boeser was in Kuzmenko’s spot.

It’s true that Kuzmenko has a lot of defensive work to learn as an NHL rookie transitioning to a faster game on a smaller surface. It’s also true that even after the Toronto game, he leads Canuck regulars in shots-for percentage (54.2) and is second to linemate Elias Pettersson in expected-goals (56.6 per cent)." Sportsnet.
11 points in 15 games
5th on our team in scoring
3rd on our team in goals scored
An even +/- rating on a team that's atrocious at defending.

But yes, let's bench and sit out Kuzmenko.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
11 points in 15 games

Put yes, let's bench and sit out Kuzmenko.
I'm just demonstrating to you why BB scratched him..he's still learning the league..When you've been a no-show for 3 consecutive games, you get to watch a game.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
11 points in 15 games

Put yes, let's bench and sit out Kuzmenko.

He looked fatigued the past two games.

We have 4 games in 3 days and a had a back2back last week to boot. That is not something you have in the KHL.

Im fine with letting him rest.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

dman34

May 6, 2011
I'm just demonstrating to you why BB scratched him..he's still learning the league..When you've been a no-show for 3 consecutive games, you get to watch a game.
There are players on the Canucks who haven't shown up all season. Why are we benching/sitting players who have actually produced this year?

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
By that standard more than half this roster should’ve been healthy scratched by now

In reality Bruce is desperate and can’t upset the vets so scratching a young guy or scratching the guy who can barely speak English is a pretty much all he can do to “send a message”

Imagine if Tanner Pearson or OEL were held to that same standard.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
By that standard more than half this roster should’ve been healthy scratched by now

In reality Bruce is desperate and can’t upset the vets so scratching a young guy or scratching the guy who can barely speak English is a pretty much all he can do to “send a message”

Imagine if Tanner Pearson or OEL were held to that same standard.
There’s no doubt there’s a handful of players that could be scratched for various reasons …Pearson for taking dumb penalties ,and other players for other bonehead moves..but at least they were trying to make some effort (as misguided as it might be).

Garland was a healthy scratch s few weeks ago.

Kuz was an empty uniform in the first two games on this road trip ..I remember someone in the OTT GDT here asking if he was even in the lineup …and the TOR game I suspected that BB decided to rest him for a game

I’m sure he’ll be back in the lineup tomorrow.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
There’s no doubt there’s a handful of players that could be scratched for various reasons …Pearson for taking dumb penalties ,and other players for other bonehead moves..but at least they were trying to make some effort (as misguided as it might be).

Garland was a healthy scratch s few weeks ago.

Kuz was an empty uniform in the first two games on this road trip ..I remember someone in the OTT GDT here asking if he was even in the lineup …and the TOR game I suspected that BB decided to rest him for a game

I’m sure he’ll be back in the lineup tomorrow.

It's a double standard.

It's not like a player takes a night off purposely - bad games happen at this level even for elite talents.

I can think of 4 fwds that should have been scratched.

Instead, we're tanking his value at the trade deadline while simultaneously pissing one if our better producers off.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

You can scratch literally any forward not named

Bo or Elias and you would be correct.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's a double standard.

It's not like a player takes a night off purposely - bad games happen at this level even for elite talents.

I can think of 4 fwds that should have been scratched.

Instead, we're tanking his value at the trade deadline while simultaneously pissing one if our better producers off.
Sure ..players have an off night..but 3 consecutive ones ?

Time to watch a game.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Sure ..players have an off night..but 3 consecutive ones ?

Time to watch a game.

You're missing the point - and that is that apparently not every player is held to the same standard.

Pearson would be the best example. He hasnt done anything noticeably good the last 10 games. In fact the only thing noticeable has been his lazy ass penalties when he has one hand on his stick as he reaches in the hands in the offensive zone. Perhaps the most selfish and boneheaded penalties you can take.

'Time to watch a game' - is this like a desperate cheap shot when you have no point to make?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
A scratch isn't strictly a punishment. I'd prefer Kuz over Boeser at this point, but he's also been pretty unnoticeable when not scoring. At the price, can't complain.

Can he be traded this year without permission, or at all? Keep seeing posts about pumping his value, but isn't there something in his deal keeping him here?

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
A scratch isn't strictly a punishment. I'd prefer Kuz over Boeser at this point, but he's also been pretty unnoticeable when not scoring. At the price, can't complain.

Can he be traded this year without permission, or at all? Keep seeing posts about pumping his value, but isn't there something in his deal keeping him here?
maybe a handshake deal

i have got to think him being on an elc means nothing can be official in that regard

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You're missing the point - and that is that apparently not every player is held to the same standard.

Pearson would be the best example. He hasnt done anything noticeably good the last 10 games. In fact the only thing noticeable has been his lazy ass penalties when he has one hand on his stick as he reaches in the hands in the offensive zone. Perhaps the most selfish and boneheaded penalties you can take.

'Time to watch a game' - is this like a desperate cheap shot when you have no point to make?
Not missing the point at all..Kuz wasn’t sitting for just making boneheaded plays (in the TOR game)..he was also sitting for literally not showing up for the two previous games..

He’ll learn from that..no need to get all indignant about it

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Not missing the point at all..Kuz wasn’t sitting for just making boneheaded plays (in the TOR game)..he was also sitting for literally not showing up for the two previous games..

He’ll learn from that..no need to get all indignant about it

Who's indignant? You told me to watch a game. Brilliant lack of self awareness.

I don't think benching Kuzmenko is the correct messaging. Plenty of players that could use a night off. You need to bench a scorer why not Boeser?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I don't think benching Kuzmenko is the correct messaging. Plenty of players that could use a night off. You need to bench a scorer why not Boeser?
Before your hair catches on fire….I was implying it was time for Kuz to watch a game..not you..

Obviously players coming back off injuries are not going to be up to speed..It’s one thing to not produce or make boneheaded plays if you’re trying…but playing with zero effort is something else entirely

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Boeser was one of our best forwards the two games before the Bruins game.

Why would you sit him?

I still think its a conditioning thing / getting used to the NHL schedule thing. Kuz has been noticeable less active these past 3-4 games.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I still love this man:

“I don't like,” Kuzmenko said of golf, famously described by Winston Churchill as a game where a small ball is played to an even smaller hole with “weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.” “I don't like, yes. It’s very difficult, golf in Russia. It's very cold... is maybe two-month season, three months.”

“Oh, it's very terrible,” he said. “I don't understand guys to play six hours, seven hours. For me, oh, two hours, thank you, finish, ‘guys, let's go.’ For me, it's very boring game.”

He’s right, golf is a stupid, boring game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad