Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
People are gonna hate me for saying this but,
I'll consider trading him as he's gonna be too old for the future team and he should be able to fetch a very good return. Plus we're loaded with wingers with terms at the moment.
Exactly this. It's why a lot of people didn't like contracts like Mikheyev. Rather have the cap flexibility or improve a non redundant area, or re-sign if Kuz works out. Now we can try and swing him for something with actual value potentially, unlike the majority of the suggested dumps which won't return anything

Reactions: LordBacon

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
The strange thing about Kuz is that his agent said one of the key components of choosing an NHL team was their ability to resign him should things work out.

What did Rutherford say to him? I don't see any world where that's possible without moving some key pieces.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
there are only three guys on this team i wouldn't trade, and obviously kuz isn't one of them

that said, i would think long and hard about keeping him if he and petey continue like this. when i think about complementary players, i don't look at their numbers, i look at how much more than can bring out of our good players.

for ex, jt miller. he and petey obviously had a lot of success together, numerically. but did he bring out anything in petey? did he make petey better? did he make petey more productive? actually, mostly the opposite. he took growth opportunities away from petey, and in the end both guys were better served on separate lines. but even now, miller on the pp, while obviously very effective, stifles petey, who has been mostly ineffective on the pp but has the much higher ceiling if you're willing to give him the opportunities and run possession after hughes passes it through him.

another example was kesler. higgins made kesler better by doing a lot of little things and freeing kesler to focus on his offence. raymond scored more but didn't make kesler better. kesler lifted raymond from a 15-20 goal scorer to 25 goals, but higgins' 15-20 goals lifted all-star kesler to nashville series kesler.

ditto alex burrows. the sedins lifted anson carter and mikael samuelsson, but burrows lifted the sedins.

all to say, petey's a big boy at this pt of his career and doesn't need a guy to help him along. but i'd much rather maximize him than saddle him with guys he needs to carry to career years.

in boeser's rookie year, he had thomas vanek helping him. then vanek was traded, and boeser regressed. hughes had tanev, then he didn't. he kept improving anyway, because he's a very special player, but i think we all can agree hughes is being asked to take on too much too soon in the absence of a good partner. all to say, it's ok to trade those training wheels guys, but you have to have a plan in place. you don't just saddle quinn hughes with myers and call it a day. so if not kuzmenko, who do we have that actually makes petey better?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The strange thing about Kuz is that his agent said one of the key components of choosing an NHL team was their ability to resign him should things work out.

What did Rutherford say to him? I don't see any world where that's possible without moving some key pieces.

I mean, it won't be that hard to move Garland, pay a pick to move Pearson, put Poolman on LTIR, etc.

Getting the money to re-sign him isn't an issue. Him wanting to stay here might be, though.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
Kid has that “it” factor that just is so excitable and should get everyone around him going. Brock who?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Makes you wonder how many other Russian-born players in the KHL are flying under the radar? Time to bring Tryamkin back?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Makes you wonder how many other Russian-born players in the KHL are flying under the radar? Time to bring Tryamkin back?
This might be completely wrong, and Im sure it will be proven so…

But seems to me all the KHL guys that are under the radar seem to want to tear North America and become stars… not just have a good carrier and make a better life for there family.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
kuzmenko is gonna get like 9-10 mil from some team

hopefully vancouver but i dunno if i see a route to clear that kind of cap space
I'm a huge Kuz fan, but suggesting he is going to get $9M is insane. I am hoping that at Xmas they can sign him for $6Mx6 to be honest.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I'm a huge Kuz fan, but suggesting he is going to get $9M is insane. I am hoping that at Xmas they can sign him for $6Mx6 to be honest.

he'll have to continue to play well and put up points but i don't see any reason he'd sign early. he's gonna use kaprizov as a comp and he compares fairly well especially when you consider he'll be a ufa and kap was an rfa. he's also got one long term contract in him probably. if he doesn't get a massive offer i think he'll reup for a year or two at most and try again

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
First off Congrats Canucks fans.

I got to see him play a lot over the last two years (CBJ top prospect Marchenko was why I watched SKA games) and he was usually the most creative on the ice. A good passer (pass first type) with good assist totals - but you have to remember that KHL secondary assists are a lot harder to get than NHL secondary assists, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pick up a few more on this side of the pond. His shot is underrated IMO. I would say that he’s not really going to be a play driver in the NHL, but is a good supporting role if you pair him with a sniper. Similar to Alex Wennberg (if he played W) but with more of a willingness to get to the net.

I think a realistic expectation would be 40-50 points if he’s in the top6. 15-25.
Off to a hot start, I knew he was good but I didn’t think he’d be hovering around a PPG pace.

Canucks fans, what do you think of AK96 so far?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Kuz has been a great welcome surprise..and he's producing...

One should take into account though..How much of his production is simply being the beneficiary of Elias Pettersson's linemate..?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Ridiculous agent speak. The most important component by far, was the total amount he'd net on his next contract (i.e. mostly direct playing opportunity). And it's probably going to pay off. Highest bidder situation here, most likely.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Garland and Pearson ain’t key pieces

• Haha
Reactions: Green Blank Stare

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Garland and Pearson ain’t key pieces
If it comes down to Kuzmenko or Garland and Pearson, then bring out the calculator for 'buy-outs'. They have to move out whatever crap they have on the salary front to get Kuz re-signed. I'd even put Boeser in that category.....who can't stay healthy and has never hit 30 goals in his entire career.

Reactions: MarkMM

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
If it comes down to Kuzmenko or Garland and Pearson, then bring out the calculator for 'buy-outs'. They have to move out whatever crap they have on the salary front to get Kuz re-signed. I'd even put Boeser in that category.....who can't stay healthy and has never hit 30 goals in his entire career.
Neither has Kuzmenko

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Screenshot_20221113-160625_Chrome.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad