Prospect Info: Canucks select F Rodrigo Abols (7th Round, 184th Overall)

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Greetings from Portland

I watched Abols play a few times last year, and I like the pick more than most here. He's obviously not going to set any scoring records, but his play on the boards and his vision are very good, and he is solid in the defensive zone. He strikes me as the type of player that will elevate his game to his linemates level, and may make a better pro than he is a junior. If he puts on some muscle, I think he has a chance at being a serviceable 3rd or 4th line winger.
Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Pretty decent.. Nothing too exceptional but seems to be solid at the offensive aspects.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Abols had 1+2 against Austria, in first out of three Olympic Qualification game. Waiting for video.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since he was drafted as an over-ager, doesn't this guy need a contract or do we lose him as a UFA?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Since he was drafted as an over-ager, doesn't this guy need a contract or do we lose him as a UFA?

Nope, 2 years until they can either a) re-enter the draft (doesn't apply in this case) or b) UFA

Depends on how he does this season, he might get an ELC. Not sure where he'll be playing tho...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From limited viewing in the prospects tournament, the guy needs another gear in his skating....but hopefully he can pick up the step and a half he needs.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
wasn't there an issue with him screwing up their overage / foreigner roster restrictions by taking up two such spots as a single player?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably traded or released.

If Abols does come back, the Hawks would have three European players, one more than the league's limit.

In June, Johnston selected 18-year-old Danish forward Joachim Blichfeld and 17-year-old Finnish defenseman Henri Jokiharju in the import draft. If Abols, who would be the Hawks' leading returning goal scorer, comes back, the Hawks would need to trade him or release one of the other two, who are ineligible to be traded in their first year in the league.

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/index.ssf/2016/09/portland_winterhawks_season_pr.html

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why doesn't he just go to Alaska's camp? He's old enough for pro.

He's not under contract with the Canucks so they can't just assign him there.

He certainly should.

Not really. I don't think ECHL is a good developmental league except for goalies. Sure there are players who played in the ECHL who went onto an NHL career, but pretty much none of them (except for Burrows) spend a full year in the ECHL before jumping to the AHL and then went onto a successful NHL career. In fact, even Cracknell is an example of a successful ECHL graduate. If you're not good enough for the AHL in your first year, the odds are really against you, especially for forwards. That goes for Alexandre Grenier as well.

For Abols, I think the WHL or KHL are better options than ECHL.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Don't think the KHL is a good option. He wouldn't get any ice time over there.

He should go to the ECHL/ AHL if no CHL team takes him. Or a lower European pro league.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Placed on WHL waivers by the WinterHawks. Already looking like another "shrewd" draft pick by Dim Jim.

How silly is this? He was a 7th round draft pick so a long shot anyways. Quick, name the other 7th rounders of that year that are doing great.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
How silly is this? He was a 7th round draft pick so a long shot anyways. Quick, name the other 7th rounders of that year that are doing great.

Joachim Blichfeld, the 210th pick in 2016, is a PPG rookie with the Winterhawks. Portland waived Abols so they can keep Blichfeld as one of their two imports.

Besides that: Bernhardt, McKenzie, Ronning, Soy look good. So do Vehviläinen and Shvyryov, a couple of undrafted players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad