Prospect Info: Canucks select F Rodrigo Abols (7th Round, 184th Overall)

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
I just shake my head at all you experts. What a joke. This guy was at the Shawnigan camp last year and looked to have some skill. You were there watching him? I suppose you all have scouted him more thoroughly than the Canucks ? How many times did you see him play ? Going only on stats are we ?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Alaska bound along with Stewart. Real gud drafting there oh mighty draft guru. Why didn't you just wait 20 hours to sign him? Moron.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I just shake my head at all you experts. What a joke. This guy was at the Shawnigan camp last year and looked to have some skill. You were there watching him? I suppose you all have scouted him more thoroughly than the Canucks ? How many times did you see him play ? Going only on stats are we ?

We could have signed him for free in less than a day. He's 20 years old and couldn't even crack PPG in juniors. He has one more junior year then is likely ECHL bound or over to Europe and that will likely be the last you hear of him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Saw him in prospects camp games and saw him in the WHL.

He's a 49-point player as a 3rd-time draft eligible. He also has ties to the organization already and could have been signed tomorrow if we liked him. Nobody else was drafting him.

Mad Brills*

If you're drafting d+2 players, make sure they're at least a fair bit over PPG.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I don't believe he can play in the ECHL as some are suggesting.

He was drafted out of the WHL, hasn't played 4 seasons in the CHL, and doesn't turn 21 until January 5th, so is still eligible to play in the WHL. Unless I'm missing something from the CBA, I believe that makes him ineligible for the ECHL/AHL.

My overall reaction is: meh.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I don't believe he can play in the ECHL as some are suggesting.

He was drafted out of the WHL, hasn't played 4 seasons in the CHL, and doesn't turn 21 until January 5th, so is still eligible to play in the WHL. Unless I'm missing something from the CBA, I believe that makes him ineligible for the ECHL/AHL.

He's 20 and any 20 year olds can play in the AHL or ECHL.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm quite positive this is the right answer. I guess part of the affiliation agreement was Benning had to help fill out Alaska's roster a bit.

Guess they should have specified the "what" part of filling out the roster a bit better.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
This guy played on our young stars team last year right? I remember him playing quite well and Benning getting mocked because he couldn't actually sign him. That being said not sure what he's done over the past year to warrant a draft pick.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm quite positive this is the right answer. I guess part of the affiliation agreement was Benning had to help fill out Alaska's roster a bit.

He could have accomplished that without using a single draft pick. Using picks to stock your ECHL team is a hilarious concept. Who's our single A affiliate? Maybe we should help them out next year.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He looked decent at the youngstars but I put more stock into what he did during the season and his numbers are really underwhelming for his age.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Awful, these numbers are what you expect out of someone who's first-time eligible, not a second time overager. He could've easily just been signed as a free agent too, as no one else in their right mind would have drafted him. Yes, he had a good camp last year but a year's worth of data shows that that was likely a mirage. Basically drafted to be a bottom-6 player in Utica, which is a waste of any draft pick as you can sign practically anyone to do that.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
For a 7th rounder, not a bad pick since he could develop into a decent bottom 6 player. Fits the mold of the team Benning is trying to build since he's big and fast.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rodrigo Abols?....name sounds more like an opera singer than an NHL hockey player...surely the guy's at least got to shorten it to 'Rod'

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
For a 7th rounder, not a bad pick since he could develop into a decent bottom 6 player. Fits the mold of the team Benning is trying to build since he's big and fast.

I have no idea why anyone thinks it's ok to use a draft pick to get a guy that might one day if the stars align be a 4th liner.

I mean we can get that any ****ing year from the UFA markets for league min. Such a waste of time.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Well at 20 years of age he's already pretty "developed" so I don't know how much more he has in him. I mean he's 6 months older than Jake Virtanen and barely hit 20 goals in junior.

Guys like that usually become decent bottom 6 ECHL players far more than decent bottom 6 NHL players. Even an energy play has to have *some* transferable puck skills unless you just want your fourth line to bleed goals in between throwing the odd glass rattling body check.

Like I think Dereck Dorsett is a terrible hockey player and even he would look like a superstar in junior compared to this guy. That's not a bottom 6 NHLer, that's a guy who likely will never see an NHL game.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Why was he picked? If we wanted him couldn't we have just signed him earlier or invite him to camp again?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Saw him in prospects camp games and saw him in the WHL.

He's a 49-point player as a 3rd-time draft eligible. He also has ties to the organization already and could have been signed tomorrow if we liked him. Nobody else was drafting him.
That's really the part that blows my mind. They could have drafted someone else and just signed him.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
That's really the part that blows my mind. They could have drafted someone else and just signed him.

Asset management. Something Benning fails most at, and why he's the worst gm in the league. Forget the other stuff, those are just the icing on the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad