Prospect Info: Canucks select F Rodrigo Abols (7th Round, 184th Overall)

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010
Weird. He appeared in our prospect camp a few years back and everyone wanted to sign him over Kenins.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Haven't chimed in yet. Love this pick. Liked him last year in the prospects tourney but the Canucks couldn't sign him because of some cba bs issue.

Very tall and rangy. Good speed. Obviously a prospect but he is AHL eligible last year so solid depth move across the board.

'96 born.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Passed through two drafts already. Underwhelming as a 19 year old in the WHL.

Likely an overager in the WHL or ECHL bound next season.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Keep in mind, had a stint in the KHL and it was his FIRST year in Canada last year.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I remember him looking good at that prospect camp a while back, but he's pretty clearly not worth a pick. At his age, he should be destroying the WHL if he's going to have any sort of impact in pro hockey. Sigh.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
From HP:

While he has good size and made some plays with the puck, it is hard to imagine him getting drafted after being passed over twice already. He’s a decent player but not quite skilled enough to play the game he wants to play. His compete level was OK, but I don’t think he packs enough punch or defensive smarts for a bottom 6 NHL role either.

Ugly. I was interested to see how he would do in the WHL after the decent camp he put together... Was not impressed with the results.

---

Weird. He appeared in our prospect camp a few years back and everyone wanted to sign him over Kenins.
No you are confusing him with the other Latvian we had at camp a few years ago, i forget his name but he was forgettable. Anyone who went to the camp liked Kenins more than that guy.

Abols was just last season and Kenins was already with us.

EDIT: the guy we signed Kenins over was Miks Indrasis, NOT Abols.

Last edited:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
What are you guys talking about he looked good at our prospects camp a few years ago and we signed Kenins over him? SMH what are there only two ****ing Latvian hockey players?

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
What are you guys talking about he looked good at our prospects camp a few years ago and we signed Kenins over him? SMH what are there only two ****ing Latvian hockey players?

The CBA didn't allow us to sign him then.

"We can’t sign him. The deal with him is that we watched him last year, we were thinking about drafting him, and then for whatever reason we didn’t draft him. He’s playing in Portland this year, and because he’s a European player, he’s ineligible to sign with us right now, or with anytime, so he’ll play in Portland this year, he’ll go through the draft next year, and that’ll decide where he ends up." (CanucksArmy)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad