Prospect Info: Canucks select F Rodrigo Abols (7th Round, 184th Overall)

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
We need a complete revamp on the scouting department. Hoping this kid does good just won't hold my breath on it at all.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Philosophically, I would not look at 2nd 3rd draft eligible players, especially when no significant event occurred from the previous two drafts (ie growth spurt, injuries). So guys like Aho (swe), this guy, Bleackley get a major pass from me.

The only circumstance that I might be interested in is a NCAA player who has excelled greatly and you want to secure their rights and to get a leg up on a possible contract signing.

Awful, these numbers are what you expect out of someone who's first-time eligible, not a second time overager. He could've easily just been signed as a free agent too, as no one else in their right mind would have drafted him. Yes, he had a good camp last year but a year's worth of data shows that that was likely a mirage. Basically drafted to be a bottom-6 player in Utica, which is a waste of any draft pick as you can sign practically anyone to do that.
This is all that needs to be said. :nod:

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0054022016.html

It doesn't look like he had anyone to play with. He's the 4th highest scoring forward on the 'Hawks, 20 points ahead of the next highest scoring forward.

On one hand, he couldn't beat out a player who was basically a PPG for top line ice time as a 19/20 year old, though, which isn't good.

On the other, his line had the best ESG% on the Winterhawks, so he was probably pulling his weight given his linemates.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
On one hand, he couldn't beat out a player who was basically a PPG for top line ice time as a 19/20 year old, though, which isn't good.

On the other, his line had the best ESG% on the Winterhawks, so he was probably pulling his weight given his linemates.

Some reason for optimism imo. I also think there's reason to stick with these big guys a little longer. It takes a lot more core strength to move a body like that around efficicently, often it takes some time to develop.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I see Abols being ECHL bound. With those kind of numbers in his overage year in junior I highly doubt he'll even have the goods to stick in the AHL.

Mind boggling pick.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Real head scratcher why we'd take Abols over Ronning.

how about.....because Ronning's 5'9, 165 and didn't put up a ppg in his third whl season? the chance of either guy getting a sniff of NHL action is near zero.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I remember him looking good at that prospect camp a while back, but he's pretty clearly not worth a pick. At his age, he should be destroying the WHL if he's going to have any sort of impact in pro hockey. Sigh.

So who else destroyed the WHL that was available? I thought this was a seventh rounder, am I wrong?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Remember when Canucks drafted Gendur and many wondered why the Canucks used one of the last picks in the 7th round to select a guy who was a few picks away from being available to invite to camp and sign for free? The reason was to guarantee that he would attend the Canucks camp?

I have no idea why anyone thinks it's ok to use a draft pick to get a guy that might one day if the stars align be a 4th liner.

I mean we can get that any ****ing year from the UFA markets for league min. Such a waste of time.

It's pretty simple. 7th rounders are unlikely to make it to the NHL. It's even more unlikely that they become top 6 players or top 4 Dman. You can go with a boom or bust pick or a player with a higher chance to make it as a bottom pairing D or bottom 6 forward. It's a gamble either way usually.

List some good 4th liners signed at a minimum in the past 3-5 years. And don't say Cracknell.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Anyone have a list of examples of players that were passed over in one or even two drafts that actually turned out well?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I've watched every prospect game and all the video I can of the prospect camps for the last several seasons because it's the only time of the year I feel remotely enthusiastic about the Canucks. For the life of me, I draw a complete blank when trying to remember this guy. I'll take your words for it though that he was there.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So who else destroyed the WHL that was available? I thought this was a seventh rounder, am I wrong?

Destroyed the WHL? No one.

But there are players who are probably better bets than a 20 year old who scored .79 PPG in junior.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161942

Would have been an interesting gamble at least. Still a long shot but maybe if everything actually does come together you'd have something worthwhile.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
Philosophically, I would not look at 2nd draft eligible players, especially when no significant event occurred from the previous two drafts (ie growth spurt, injuries). So guys like Aho (swe), this guy, Bleackley get a major pass from me.

The only circumstance that I might be interested in is a NCAA player who has excelled greatly and you want to secure their rights and to get a leg up on a possible contract signing.

This is all that needs to be said. :nod:

http://prospect-stats.com/blog/Overage_Prospects.html

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Brayden Burke scored 109 points, led the WHL in assists, and is a year younger than Abols.

Tyler Soy scored almost as many goals as Abols had points and is a year younger.

David Quenneville scored more points as a defender and is 2 years younger.

As a few examples.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Production is certainly important to projecting these players… but is it the be all end all of scouting? If so, the best move would be to fire all the scouts and dump that budget into development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad