Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher - 2 years, 2.325 AAV - avoiding arbitration.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For those wondering about leverage and how Stecher had it, the answer is arbitration. I believe Ryan Biech (or someone from CanucksArmy) did a solid breakdown of some comparable salary awards and the risk that could pose to the Canucks.

I'm in the camp that feels that even though Stecher doesn't put up lofty numbers, that he's a valuable defenseman for us. He reminds me of Mike Weaver - a bit undersized, but brings a huge compete level, is responsible in his own end, blocks shots, works the PK, and seems like the kind of guy who will be a good leader for this team. At the very worst, I think he's better than most of the defensemen on the squad not named Edler or Tanev.

Happy to have him back, and the cap hit -IMO - is reasonable, especially considering what he likely could have attained via arbitration.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Unfortunately, there is *too much* common sense in your post.

The anti-Benning narrative of course, is that Green hates Hutton and Hutton is an innocent victim that has been pushed aside in favor of the “coach’s pet” Derrick Pouliot. Hutton’s commitment and lack of fitness? Nnnnnnope! No issues whatsoever.

The anti Hutton narrative is that Green hates Benning. And that Benning is innocent and Naslund and Gillis.

Yikes.

He was absolutely awful last year and had zero leverage.

He wasn't actually.

Troy Stecher Was One of The Best Penalty Killing Defensemen in the NHL

Canucks Army Year in Review: Troy Stecher

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Based on his rookie season he absolutely was worth keeping around but he wasn't exactly good last year and this is a tad excessive.

I find it ridiculous that this team can be interpreted as even remotely resemblant of a winning culture when we seem to just give the entire team raises and pats on the back every year. Zero f***ing accountability. Simply garbage.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yaaaaaa!!! We now have re signed all of the same 8 guys we had last year. Worst team in the league.... better lock these guys up.

Somehow we got worse and got no draft picks

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I liked stecher but it’s pretty clear his first year success came from being paired with Edler. He’s like a smaller worse version of Yannick Weber who was hated here. A defenseman like him needs to put up points or he’s useless. With that said, I still wanted to keep him for another year or two but I don’t see why he deserves a raise at all. Same defense as last year...

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Ah yes, the signature Benning move to give a sizable multi-year raise to someone who didn't play well for an entire year.

Reactions: timw33

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's $2 million in Vancouver dollars remember. Closer to $1.4 anywhere else.
Is that $1.4 likely what an arbitrator would award? He has arbitration rights unlike someone like virtanen. Canucks likely feel this amount is within what an arbitrator would award him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't really get this he isn't that great and had no leverage.
That isn’t correct.

No leverage is someone like virtanen who has no arbitration rights and hasn’t done much in the nhl.

Stecher has arbitration rights, so someone outside the Canucks can decide how much he gets paid, after which the Canucks can opt to walk away from the award which they were unlikely to do over a few hundred grand.

My guess is that stecher camp came in looking for hutton money at around $2.8 while Vancouver countered between $1.8 to $2 million. Opted to settle for $2.3.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Better than Edler or Tanev? Please. Those two can carry a pairing. 3rd best, I guess one can make that argument (but the rest excluding Stecher is a pretty sorry lot IMHO).

That said, I don't have a problem with the contract he just signed.

Edler (who I still am and always have been) a fan of, really did have a down season. It could be just accumulation of age + injuries. The perception of Edler was kept afloat because of some powerplay production keeping his counting totals fairly high.

Stecher is a capable defenseman and one we should keep around.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Edler (who I still am and always have been) a fan of, really did have a down season. It could be just accumulation of age + injuries. The perception of Edler was kept afloat because of some powerplay production keeping his counting totals fairly high.

Stecher is a capable defenseman and one we should keep around.
I realize both are right side D but I'd like to see Stecher carrying a guy like Guds (which Edler did reasonably well) before I'd rank him higher than Edler (even at Edler's present age & downside of his career). But that's just my perception.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks braintrust must be either in a state of denial or completely delusional about the state of their blueline. Everybody from Craig Button on down has pointed out that one of the big reasons the Canucks can't score is that they can't transition the puck out of their own zone. General consensus was there's no way they could bring the same d-men back this season and expect any improvement.

Yet here we are half way through summer, and the same eight guys are back for another go-around. What am I missing here?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks braintrust must be either in a state of denial or completely delusional about the state of their blueline. Everybody from Craig Button on down has pointed out that one of the big reasons the Canucks can't score is that they can't transition the puck out of their own zone. General consensus was there's no way they could bring the same d-men back this season and expect any improvement.

Yet here we are half way through summer, and the same eight guys are back for another go-around. What am I missing here?
At some point they have to make a decision on Edler. This is hamhuis part 2 right now. Same age, as both would be ufa 15 years after their draft year.

Extend him this summer or ask to trade him so that he can secure a contract before joining the new team.

Edler doesn’t strike me as guy who wants to move at the TDL.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
At some point they have to make a decision on Edler. This is hamhuis part 2 right now. Same age, as both would be ufa 15 years after their draft year.

Extend him this summer or ask to trade him so that he can secure a contract before joining the new team.

Edler doesn’t strike me as guy who wants to move at the TDL.
....just don't wait until like a few weeks or a month before the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad