Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher - 2 years, 2.325 AAV - avoiding arbitration.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
An arbitrator would have decided his contract this season if they didn't come to terms.

Canucks were certainly free to go to arbitration and push for those numbers if they wanted to. No reason to give Stecher $2.3 million per if they felt that they could convince the arbitrator to come close to those numbers. Canucks would go in citing comps on the low end, while Stecher would use comps on the high end. Ultimately, the arbitrator will weigh all of the numbers, underlying stats, comps, etc. and make a ruling.

The Canucks are in a position to grind Virtanen to around a $1 million or so contract since he has no leverage whatsoever. He has no arbitration rights and with the number of 1 way deals on this roster, he can't afford to miss camp. And he has until Dec 1 to sign or miss the season. His numbers haven't been great during his ELC either. And I doubt any team is coming in with an offer sheet on him.

I think Virtanen will be pleasantly surprised by the contract they will offer him.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Lets grant you all that you just said. How does this tie in to unfair treatment of Benning like you said earlier?

Fair enough. As you said, Stecher was a Benning acquisiton.

Having said all that, I do think the “JD Burke crew” has a massive double standard as it relates to Hutton/Stecher in comparison to Pouliot/Gudbranson.

The JD Burke crew seemingly does everything in their power to defend Hutton and Stecher, despite recognizing the obvious truth that both players were terrible last year.

On the flip side of that, “the crew” greatly exaggerated as to how terrible Pouliot and Gudbranson were. Don’t get me wrong. They stunk. However - if you heard “the crew” enough times, you’d think that Guds and Pouliot were 3rd pairing dmen at the AHL level, while Hutton and Stecher are low end 2nd pairing defensemen that we’re just misused by management and coaching.

The truth however - is that all four guys played like 6th-7th calibre dmen last year and need to step up.

member 290103

This site is twisted as ****,the Benning bashers can troll everything that moves and call for others to be banned??The mods are anti-benning bro's themselves so it makes sense.

Benning has been a complete nightmare. There's no trolling here. The mods are by and large simply rational people that have a good understanding of how horrid the regime has been.

member 290103

Top tier teams like us and Pittsburgh need to pay their awesome bluelines.....wait a minute.....

Low hanging fruit here John. I will be truly impressed if you can continue to make compelling negative points when the team is better......er wait, they will never, ever be good, ever......no matter what, right?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Low hanging fruit here John. I will be truly impressed if you can continue to make compelling negative points when the team is better......er wait, they will never, ever be good, ever......no matter what, right?
If I had to bet, I’d say he is an Oilers fan. I’m always impressed by the level of hate some people can show for another team. I HATE the Leafs but I’m far too lazy to visit their forums

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Im sad that timber has left, his shenanigans were cheeky and fun. Hindustans shenanigans are cruel and tragic.

Anyways congrats to Stecher and he should pick up Huttons bar tab for the entire year

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So it's official.....every blueliner the Canucks employed last year is back. This group that Craig Button described "as the worst in the league" at transitioning the puck out of its own zone, and which contributed a paltry 23 goals of offense. It's like 'groundhog day' with this Canucks 'braintrust'.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So it's official.....every blueliner the Canucks employed last year is back. This group that Craig Button described "as the worst in the league" at transitioning the puck out of its own zone, and which contributed a paltry 23 goals of offense. It's like 'groundhog day' with this Canucks 'braintrust'.
Yes our defence is tragic but what would you do with Stecher? I suspect he is a tradeable asset so it was the right move to sign him. Del Zotto, Hutton and Edler will be our after another tank year and replaced with Hughes and OJ. The team needs to find another young RD in case Woo doesn’t pan out

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah let’s see if message boards even exist in a decade when this team is “good”

Why are you upset that I think it’s ridiculous that we are the only team (outside of Pittsburgh) where every defensman makes over 2M. We are the NHL laughing stock and pay how much for our D??? You think that’s normal?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
$2.33m out of $79.5m cap.

Guys, the cap has gone up since it was first introduced.

Let's shave off $20m and reserve it for the stars's extra portion. Then divide $59.5m by 25 players.

That is $2.38m

Please tell me how Troy is not an average player.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
2 million dollar contracts are really serious business around here.

If this was the only one it wouldn't be serious business. OTOH when the GM starts overpaying almost everybody it becomes serious business. $10m-15m wasted hurts.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

It's actually 21 goals but who's counting

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
$2.33m out of $79.5m cap.

Guys, the cap has gone up since it was first introduced.

Let's shave off $20m and reserve it for the stars's extra portion. Then divide $59.5m by 25 players.

That is $2.38m

Please tell me how Troy is not an average player.
I don't like this argument of "it's not that bad" when you have to use that argument with half the roster.

It adds up.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't like this argument of "it's not that bad" when you have to use that argument with half the roster.

It adds up.

Also, this is where we are: acting like it’s totally unreasonable to expect the GM to actually get a deal that you believe to be above-average.

Reactions: MarkMM

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
He has been excellent the last 2 seasons. Yes, his point production dipped, but that was due to being removed from the power play. All of his other stats improved. And he was one of our only players who consistently pushed play in the right direction.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The recent comparable was Ryan Pulock, who is a 94' born just like Troy, but with size, massive PP upside, draft pedigree, junior dominance, and an excellent 10 goal 32 point rookie season. He got 2 years x $2MM.

No one should use Hutton as a baseline as that was a bad contract handed out to yet another player with almost no leverage.

We are one of two teams (PIT is the other) where every D man on the starting roster makes over $2MM. A D core which is easily one of the worst D cores in the league.

Another seemingly "no big deal" move by Benning that is just par for the course with this management—every single overpayment adds up and skews the internal cap structure on how they value players (look at the Sbisa/Hutton deals–just because a player got overpaid does not mean others should be paid relative to that awful contract)

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The recent comparable was Ryan Pulock, who is a 94' born just like Troy, but with size, massive PP upside, draft pedigree, junior dominance, and an excellent 10 goal 32 point rookie season. He got 2 years x $2MM.

No one should use Hutton as a baseline as that was a bad contract handed out to yet another player with almost no leverage.

Pulock didn't have arbitration rights. Troy did.

With Hutton, I think they were expecting Hutton to keep getting better. The previous summer he had a strong rookie season and won Gold at the WC with Team Canada. If I remember correctly, he also had a good start to the season and was playing top 3 minutes. Hutton too would of had arbitration rights.

I think you're really not taking into account arbitration rights. Matt Benning signed for 1.9M AAV. Pulock signed for $2M. None of those two had arbitration right so if those two are comparables, you can expect Stetcher to get more. It will be interesting to see what Montour gets.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Pulock didn't have arbitration rights. Troy did.

With Hutton, I think they were expecting Hutton to keep getting better. The previous summer he had a strong rookie season and won Gold at the WC with Team Canada. If I remember correctly, he also had a good start to the season and was playing top 3 minutes. Hutton too would of had arbitration rights.

I think you're really not taking into account arbitration rights. Matt Benning signed for 1.9M AAV. Pulock signed for $2M. None of those two had arbitration right so if those two are comparables, you can expect Stetcher to get more. It will be interesting to see what Montour gets.

I understand the arbitration rights, but like, what kind of arbitrator is going to award an 11-point defenceman more than ~1.75MM. Arbitrators do overweigh point production and use comparables and it'd be interesting to see comparables for young-ish D-men putting up ~10-15 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->