Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher - 2 years, 2.325 AAV - avoiding arbitration.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Everyone keeps saying that yet he's still a Canucks.

Hutton has one last chance with the team, it's up to him whether he is staying or not.

Unfortunately, there is *too much* common sense in your post.

The anti-Benning narrative of course, is that Green hates Hutton and Hutton is an innocent victim that has been pushed aside in favor of the “coach’s pet” Derrick Pouliot. Hutton’s commitment and lack of fitness? Nnnnnnope! No issues whatsoever.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Everyone keeps saying that yet he's still a Canucks.

Hutton has one last chance with the team, it's up to him whether he is staying or not.

Yeah it's up to him to decide his fate. I don't think anyone should be getting a easy ride in camp though, maybe outside of Tanev and Edler. But I have to believe that if Hutton has a great camp, and say MDZ or Gudbranson float their way through it, Hutton still will have not done enough to earn a spot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Probably should have been in the 1.75-2.0 range.. but whatever.

I've learned long ago to expect the worst when it comes to this management negotiating contracts, so in that regard I guess it could have been worse.

Absolutely hilarious that as of now they are bringing back this entire defense.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Seems like a bit much for a small defenseman that couldn’t put up points. I don’t mind Stecher but what leverage did he have to earn himself over 2 mill/year?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Probably should have been in the 1.75-2.0 range.. but whatever.

I've learned long ago to expect the worst when it comes to this management negotiating contracts, so in that regard I guess it could have been worse.

Absolutely hilarious that as of now they are bringing back this entire defense.

You know its July 20th right and the season doesnt start till October

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Tons of upside on this kid!

If i recall, he had 10 teams or so pursuing him when he was a Free Agent out of North Dakota.

Class act too, he stayed at hospital all night with Brock when Brock was rushed to the hospital after his injury vs Islanders.

Solid kid who works everyday to get better. I see him all the time at Richmond Oval

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Seems like a bit much for a small defenseman that couldn’t put up points. I don’t mind Stecher but what leverage did he have to earn himself over 2 mill/year?
One thing he's got going for himself is ice time.

He averages over 2 minutes more per game than Matt Benning and Ryan Pulock who both recently signed comparable, but cheaper contracts.

The Canucks poor defensive core definitely worked in Stecher's favour. Along with the obligatory Benning tax.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

The contract that Benning gave to Ben Hutton.

I wouldn't judge defensemen by points too much. I think there's a decent argument that Stecher is our 2nd best defenseman right now. He actually improved all of his underlying numbers as well as being effective on the PK. The drop in counting totals can largely be attributed to being cut out of the PP for the most part.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Is it fair to say that Stecher got this contract using Hutton's as leverage? If yes, then maybe there is a downside to overpaying players (500k-1m) and cap does matter?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Jim Benning is GM = the leverage you are looking for.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think there's a decent argument that Stecher is our 2nd best defenseman right now
Better than Edler or Tanev? Please. Those two can carry a pairing. 3rd best, I guess one can make that argument (but the rest excluding Stecher is a pretty sorry lot IMHO).

That said, I don't have a problem with the contract he just signed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is where you find yourself when you screw up your salary cap structure by giving out terrible contracts. Everybody ends up overpaid. Guess it's only $500k-$600k per year over where he should be, but still.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good signing. I like Stetcher a lot. He’s even more important now given the Canucks drafted Quinn instead of a RS Dman. If he had Hutton’s size he might be a potential top pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad