Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher - 2 years, 2.325 AAV - avoiding arbitration.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
....just don't wait until like a few weeks or a month before the trade deadline.
For Edler I’m not sure he’s waive mid season. Might just say, I’ll just pick my spot in free agency. I think it’s actually better to move him in the summer if they aren’t extending him.

He’d likely be more willing to go now than at the tdl. He can go settle in at his new city and know that he has a contract beyond this season. I am assuming he would want to sign a new deal prior to ok’ing a trade. Like how turris signed right after his trade, same with burrows.

Reactions: Hit the post

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
We have let the salary structure become very very loose and that is never a good idea. If Guddy is worth what he is and Hutton is worth what he is and MDZ is worth what he is, then you don't have a strong negotiating point as management. I don't see it as that overpaid, or this as a big risk at all, but it is just the same thing as always. Which has completely spiraled.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's 2 years at small dollars. Plus, Stecher is a young work horse - he deserves a raise. I don't approve of all of our signings or understand why we are going to be running the same defense as last year; but Stecher was far from the problem. I'm in the group that thinks he's the 3rd best D on the team.

member 290103

Canucks braintrust must be either in a state of denial or completely delusional about the state of their blueline. Everybody from Craig Button on down has pointed out that one of the big reasons the Canucks can't score is that they can't transition the puck out of their own zone. General consensus was there's no way they could bring the same d-men back this season and expect any improvement.

Yet here we are half way through summer, and the same eight guys are back for another go-around. What am I missing here?

I don't disagree with you, but including this in a Stecher thread is a bit odd. Stecher is a guy with good underlying stats, a player that bleeds for the team, has local ties and did everything he could to play in Vancouver. His offense dried up last year on account of Green's insistence that he change his game and hold back.

Reactions: Hockey Fan in PG

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
This is where you find yourself when you screw up your salary cap structure by giving out terrible contracts. Everybody ends up overpaid. Guess it's only $500k-$600k per year over where he should be, but still.
It’s $500K for a player on a team who isn’t up against the cap...The contract won’t hurt us whatsoever.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It’s $500K for a player on a team who isn’t up against the cap...The contract won’t hurt us whatsoever.

It's not a disaster, but overpaying hurts. It diminishes the value of the player in a potential trade, and it has possible consequences for future contracts, as Hutton's deal may have had for Stecher.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The anti Hutton narrative is that Green hates Benning. And that Benning is innocent and Naslund and Gillis.

He wasn't actually.

Troy Stecher Was One of The Best Penalty Killing Defensemen in the NHL

Canucks Army Year in Review: Troy Stecher

Canucks Army is complete rubbish.

Anyone who thinks Troy Stecher had a good year last year seriously needs to give their head a shake. This is jus another example of the JD Burke crew trying to further their own agenda and create divide between casual fans and Benning.

Stecher was sub-par. Plain and simple.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Anyone who thinks Troy Stecher had a good year last year seriously needs to give their head a shake. This is jus another example of the JD Burke crew trying to further their own agenda and create divide between casual fans and Benning.

This makes no sense considering Stecher was 100% a Benning acquisition (ironically it’s probably one his best acquisitions too).

You’re jumping at shadows again and doing more to widen this divide between pro/anti Benning crowd than the people you are accusing.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This makes no sense considering Stecher was 100% a Benning acquisition (ironically it’s probably one his best acquisitions too).

You’re jumping at shadows again and doing more to widen this divide between pro/anti Benning crowd than the people you are accusing.

The JD Burke crowd hates Gudbranson and Poliliot the most, and so they will do whatever they can to discredit those two (even if it means trying to make Hutton and Stecher look better than they actually were).

The truth of the matter is that all 4 of the aforementioned defensemen were complete rubbish last year, give or take a few flashes.

The JD Burke crew ruthlessly criticizes Guds and Pouliot while looking for positives within Hutton and Stecher. It’s a disgusting double standard.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The JD Burke crowd hates Gudbranson and Poliliot the most, and so they will do whatever they can to discredit those two (even if it means trying to make Hutton and Stecher look better than they actually were).

The truth of the matter is that all 4 of the aforementioned defensemen were complete rubbish last year, give or take a few flashes.

The JD Burke crew ruthlessly criticizes Guds and Pouliot while looking for positives within Hutton and Stecher. It’s a disgusting double standard.

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with “creating a divide between casual fans and Benning.” Why not just say this to begin with unless you are pursuing an agenda?

The difference between Hutton/Stecher and Gudbranson/Pouliot is that two of them were cheap or basically free to acquire while the other two cost us assets that would have been better served for a rebuild. Gudbranson was especially expensive on the asset side. Two of them also get inexplicably overplayed despite being as bad as or worse than the rest of our defense minus Edler/Tanev.

People have reasons for disliking these players and the reasons are fairly easy to understand.

member 290103

Why? Because you say so? JD Burke presents a strong statistical argument, and your retort is that he needs to give his head a shake and he was sub par. Enlighten us.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Benning acquired this player and just gave him a massive raise after a terrible season, and yet the people claiming he had a good season are pushing an anti Benning agenda.

Right. Okay then.

you do realize that the Canucks brass must have felt that this was about what the arbitrator was going to award Stecher right? So, the guy was going to get a raise. There is no convincing a guy to sign here, thus no premium to pay. You have to prepare your arguments to convince the arbitrator that his number should land closer to the team's rather than the player's.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
you do realize that the Canucks brass must have felt that this was about what the arbitrator was going to award Stecher right? So, the guy was going to get a raise. There is no convincing a guy to sign here, thus no premium to pay. You have to prepare your arguments to convince the arbitrator that his number should land closer to the team's rather than the player's.

The amount he was given was probably the maximum he could have ever gotten from arbitration. He had 11 points last year.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Signing Stecher is just a part of the process of keeping the defense intact. This isn't crazy if you think the defense is improving. So, the push is expected to come from within. Again, not crazy if you believe the rookies will challenge for spots. That's a lot of blue sky in the forecast.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The amount he was given was probably the maximum he could have ever gotten from arbitration. He had six points last year.

I think you're confusing Stecher with Hutton. Hutton had six points last season while Stecher had eleven over the season. It's worth noting that both players lost nearly all of their points from last season to this one due to vastly reduced PP usage. Stecher went from 2:43 pp toi/gp and 8 pp points to 0:14 pp toi/gp and 1 pp point while Hutton dropped from 2:03 pp toi/gp and 11 pp points to 0:53 pp toi/gp and 2 pp points. Stecher especially never had a chance to put up points.

One other thing to note is that both Hutton and Stecher finished with far better +/- this season than they did last season. Stecher went from -16 last season to minus -7 this season while Hutton went from -22 last season to minus -9 this season. This suggests at least so improvement defensively whatever the ever trustworthy eye-test might say.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

HS, I think you need to take a break from posting here. Either you are trolling us and should be banned from posting, or you are seriously getting paranoid about your friend Benning being hunted by everything that moves or that stays still but looks damn suspicious.

How does finding positive aspects to Stetcher's play (100% Benning acquisition) as opposed to bashing Gudbranson (100% Benning acqusition) equal "creating a divide between casual fans and Bennin?"

Last edited:
Reactions: pomorick

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think you're confusing Stecher with Hutton. Hutton had six points last season while Stecher had eleven over the season. It's worth noting that both players lost nearly all of their points from last season to this one due to vastly reduced PP usage. Stecher went from 2:43 pp toi/gp and 8 pp points to 0:14 pp toi/gp and 1 pp point while Hutton dropped from 2:03 pp toi/gp and 11 pp points to 0:53 pp toi/gp and 2 pp points. Stecher especially never had a chance to put up points.

One other thing to note is that both Hutton and Stecher finished with far better +/- this season than they did last season. Stecher went from -16 last season to minus -7 this season while Hutton went from -22 last season to minus -9 this season. This suggests at least so improvement defensively whatever the ever trustworthy eye-test might say.

Yes, I was posting from memory and got his point total confused with Hutton. I corrected my post but you got in beforehand.

In any case, I am extremely dubious that this contract is significantly less than what would have been awarded by an arbitrator. How much less do you think this contract is compared to the worst case arbitration scenario and upon what precedent? Is there a history of arbitrators awarding 4M contracts to 11 point players of which I am unaware?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, I was posting from memory and got his point total confused with Hutton. I corrected my post but you got in beforehand.

In any case, I am extremely dubious that this contract is significantly less than what would have been awarded by an arbitrator. How much less do you think this contract is compared to the worst case arbitration scenario and upon what precedent? Is there a history of arbitrators awarding 4M contracts to 11 point players of which I am unaware?

It's a symptom of our team's salary structure combined with being able to use Hutton's contract as a comparable. It's probably fairly close to what he'd have gotten in arbitration without all the ugliness and hurt feelings that can come from arbitration. Comparing him to other players on Capfriendly he looks a touch overpaid for points generated but it's close when all factors are taken into account, he's pretty average for his signing age and salary. It only really looks bad because we have so many other bad contracts on the team.

Stecher is likely worth that contract given his lack of NHL playing time and his rookie season scoring. We might as well keep him to the end of this contract hoping he grows while trying to trade a guy like Hutton or Gudbranson who have worse contracts and less room for optimism with regards to their growth as players.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's a symptom of our team's salary structure combined with being able to use Hutton's contract as a comparable. It's probably fairly close to what he'd have gotten in arbitration without all the ugliness and hurt feelings that can come from arbitration. Comparing him to other players on Capfriendly he looks a touch overpaid for points generated but it's close when all factors are taken into account, he's pretty average for his signing age and salary. It only really looks bad because we have so many other bad contracts on the team.

Stecher is likely worth that contract given his lack of NHL playing time and his rookie season scoring. We might as well keep him to the end of this contract hoping he grows while trying to trade a guy like Hutton or Gudbranson who have worse contracts and less room for optimism with regards to their growth as players.

Okay, that's fair.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Signing Stecher is just a part of the process of keeping the defense intact. This isn't crazy if you think the defense is improving. So, the push is expected to come from within. Again, not crazy if you believe the rookies will challenge for spots. That's a lot of blue sky in the forecast.
Uh...why would you think the defense is improving?

Edler = vet.
Tanev = vet.
Gudbranson = vet.
Del Zotto = vet.
Biega = vet.
Stecher = young, but coming off a crap season.
Hutton = youngish, but coming off a crap season where the coach totally lost confidence in him.
Pouliot = youngish, but coming off a crap season where he was utterly lost in his own zone.

What logical basis is there to think that one of if not the worst d corps in the league last year will improve aside from hope and wishful thinking?

And we've got 8 dmen signed now. What spots are there for the rookies to challenge for?

You're looking down. That blue sky is in fact a chewing gum wrapper floating in a parking lot puddle.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Uh...why would you think the defense is improving?

Edler = vet.
Tanev = vet.
Gudbranson = vet.
Del Zotto = vet.
Biega = vet.
Stecher = young, but coming off a crap season.
Hutton = youngish, but coming off a crap season where the coach totally lost confidence in him.
Pouliot = youngish, but coming off a crap season where he was utterly lost in his own zone.

What logical basis is there to think that one of if not the worst d corps in the league last year will improve aside from hope and wishful thinking?

And we've got 8 dmen signed now. What spots are there for the rookies to challenge for?

You're looking down. That blue sky is in fact a chewing gum wrapper floating in a parking lot puddle.

Biega or Pouliot could be waived pretty easily from a salary standpoint so that could be a spot or two if Hughes and Juolevi prove NHL ready this coming season. Worst case they force us to make a trade which would be ideal as we have 4 players (Edler, Del Zotto, Hutton, and Pouliot) who are going into the final year of their contracts. Absolute worst case nobody is waived, we trade no-one, and we still have four potentially open roster spots for the 19-20 season.

As for down years, Stecher really only had a down year offensively. Defensively, he was better in terms of plus-minus, had more hits, more blocked shots, and fewer giveaways. His offense should be excused as he went from 2:34 minutes per game of PP time down to a paltry 0:14 seconds per game which, if his numbers held from the previous season, cost him 7 points. If Stecher had been used on the PP and scored 18 points instead of 11 we wouldn't be saying he had a down season at this point.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

This is reaching even for you

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
HS, I think you need to take a break from posting here. Either you are trolling us and should be banned from posting, or you are seriously getting paranoid about your friend Benning being hunted by everything that moves or that stays still but looks damn suspicious.

How does finding positive aspects to Stetcher's play (100% Benning acquisition) as opposed to bashing Gudbranson (100% Benning acqusition) equal "creating a divide between casual fans and Bennin?"
This site is twisted as f***,the Benning bashers can troll everything that moves and call for others to be banned??The mods are anti-benning bro's themselves so it makes sense.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->