Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Easy pass
He's not a good coach.
Vancouver is dead last in most neutral zone stats, run away dead last in odd man ruches against.
5v5 play over 3 years hasn't improved
There is teams that have trash talent but still have decent 5v5 systems to be competitve
Vancouver ranks last in the NHL in expected goal differential but 25th in actual goal differential.
Too dependent on goaltending

I'l go with the cheaper coach thank you very much

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think he is good with young players and seems to be a decent motivator. However, the systems are stale and many of the advanced stats look terrible. We are a team very reliant on counterattack, north-south chances, and of course getting outstanding goaltending. I'm not sure how much of that is because of our terrible supporting cast and how much of it is because of the coach.

If we don't get rid of the coach, we should at least get rid of the supporting coaches, such as those running the D and special teams. But I recall Benning said in an interview that they hoped to bring back the exact same coaching staff. That is inexcusable given our results.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Friedman also saying the Canucks are making an offer to Green, and that he thinks there's a gap - albeit not a huge one - and thinks Green wants to stay in Vancouver.

I'm not hugely emotionally invested in Green or anything, but the timing and this whole situation just seems odd. Why wait until now to make an offer?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Green gets an extension after the season the Canucks are going through, then he needs to go out and buy a lottery ticket. The sad reality is that he'd be toast in any other NHL market but this one.

I think it all comes down to Aquilini's cheapness. He won't buck up for a 'name coach' and would rather just pay peanuts to the guy he already has.

What a way to run a franchise!

Reactions: Indiana and Regal

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Green gets an extension after the season the Canucks are going through, then he needs to go out and buy a lottery ticket. The sad reality is that he'd be toast in any other NHL market but this one.

I think it all comes down to Aquilini's cheapness. He won't buck up for a 'name coach' and would rather just pay peanuts to the guy he already has.

What a way to run a franchise!
Not according to Friedman..He said that Green is respected in the league, and wouldnt be unemployed for long.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not according to Friedman..He said that Green is respected in the league, and wouldnt be unemployed for long.
With all due respect to Friedmann, I reiterate my post. Green and the Canucks have lost more regular season games than any other NHL team over the last three seasons, for the simple reason they're one the worst defensive teams in the entire league.

I suppose somebody else might hire him, since coaches constantly get recycled. But there's not a GM in the league that wouldn't have gonged this guy half way through his three-year tenure.

I mean Julien, Babcock, Quenneville, Vigneault and a cast of others have all be fired in the time Green has coached the Canucks....and they all had better records than Green.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Employed, though, in what position? Does he get a job right away as a head coach, and in a situation to succeed for more dollars than offered here, or is it as an assistant, or AHL guy?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
With all due respect to Friedmann, I reiterate my post. Green and the Canucks have lost more regular season games than any other NHL team over the last three seasons, for the simple reason they're one the worst defensive teams in the entire league.

I suppose somebody else might hire him, since coaches constantly get recycled. But there's not a GM in the league that wouldn't have gonged this guy half way through his three-year tenure.

I mean Julien, Babcock, Quenneville, Vigneault and a cast of others have all be fired in the time Green has coached the Canucks....and they all had better records than Green.
When you're transitioning from old core to a new one..you lose a lot...Other than Babcock, all those coaches had far superior players ..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think Green will get another NHL job. The Canucks have had a great track record of their head coaches finding another NHL gig. Their AHL coaches have also managed to find a NHL head coaching job although I suspect Trent Cull will break that streak.

If Dallas Eakins can land another NHL HC job I think Green can too.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I wasn't for resigning Tanev because of his injury history and I thought Van would use the money on stecher and toffoli. that didnt work out as Benning called an audible.
Writing is on the wall.
Season Before Green arrived:
Tanev Before Green.png
Last season with Green:
Tanev last season in Van.png
Calgary:
Tanev with Calgary.png

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Bit of a Random question, but who would you guys want if/when Green is gone? I am personally pulling for Gallant.

Note its who YOU want and not who you think will be grabbed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bit of a Random question, but who would you guys want if/when Green is gone? I am personally pulling for Gallant.

Note its who YOU want and not who you think will be grabbed.

Yes to Gallant. On another note, I actually think Claude Julien is not a bad fit for the team.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yes to Gallant. On another note, I actually think Claude Julien is not a bad fit for the team.

This is Frankie Blueberries we’re talking about. He refused to pay migrant workers fairly for his blueberry profits, why would he want to pay much for a coach? We’re not getting either of those coaches, they would cost too much for cheapskate Frank.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Kinda curious why you would go for julien? I thought his style is more tough which i dont think we really have.

This is Frankie Blueberries we’re talking about. He refused to pay migrant workers fairly for his blueberry profits, why would he want to pay much for a coach? We’re not getting either of those coaches, they would cost too much for cheapskate Frank.
Sure but the question accounts for that.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
FAQ will retain and resign them all so he remains unchallenged as the smartest guy in the room.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The whole thing behind Green (and other coaching staff) not being signed is because of cost cutting ...yet posters here are in fantasy world with Gallant, Julien, Boudreau etc...These established coaches come with a price tag..Fuggedaboutit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad