Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Is it fair to call Aqua cheap when we've paid more $ per win than every club other than Detroit since 2015? I think he just doesn't understand why things have gone so poorly and simply has no idea where all the inefficiencies are. If the rest of the family are asking him why the club has performed so horrifically and he can't come up with answers, it makes sense they might want to tighten up.
Easy to spend Daddy’s money.;)

See Tony Khan & AEW.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Have wanted Green gone for a while and replaced by a more established coach like Boudreau or Gallant. Feels like we're going back to square one if we hire another no named AHL guy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Have wanted Green gone for a while and replaced by a more established coach like Boudreau or Gallant. Feels like we're going back to square one if we hire another no named AHL guy.
Owner appears to be going cheap on coaching. Imo our next coach will be paid under 1 mil per. likely won’t be Green, so maybe Cull gets promoted?

Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Both of these coaches would require substantial $....If the Aqualini's theme is 'cost cutting', these two coaches are miles off the mark.

Reactions: Peen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green is a good coach and a players coach.

Because he chooses to attack and play with pressure it leaves the team more vulnerable than the boring risk free systems that Tortz or Trotz would make the team play. This fanbase detested AVs systems prior to Gillis pressuring him to adapt a more attacking philosophy. So careful what you wish for.

This year has been poor for Travis. No camp, all new defense pairings, some disgruntled players, some that fell flat followed by a horrendous schedule with terrible living and co existing arrangements has accentuated it.

Poor roster decisions has been frustrating and i think there is something to the relationship that Travis has had with upper management and ownership that implies he is/was not happy about his arrangement (roster and contractual).

I think the previous posters point about him being from SoCal could have merits but i also firmly believe much of the uncertainty is a wait and see with Benning and whether Aquilini sees him continuing on and whether a new President or manager may opt for a change.

That combined with the valuation of Greens services in the new market place is why this is taking it's time.
There's really a lot of 'excuses' here....with not much merit imo.

Every team in the league faced the same handicap entering the season.....three practices and you were plunged into the regular season. And none came out of the gate worse than the Canucks. That speaks to me of a lack of preparation and coaching.

Travis Green seems like a decent guy....his players seem to like him and the media fawns all over him. But the reality is, he's completing his third season behind the bench....and the bottom line is that the Canucks simply haven't won enough games. And the common factor in all three seasons is that the Canucks have been atrocious defensively.

There's a lot of teams in this league who don't have near the talent the Canucks do, but the one thing the coaches and players can control is keeping the puck out of their own net with a strong defensive system......something completely lacking in VanCity.

If Green had been the coach in Montreal, Toronto, Philly or New York, would he have lasted three seasons? Hardly.

But then, that's just the reality of coaching in the NHL. In the same time period, Gerard Gallant; Mike Babcock; Joel Quenneville ; and Claude Julien have all been fired. And three of them have won Cups during their careers.

So barring any sort of miracle post-COVID run by the Canucks, there's a coaching change coming this off-season. And why would anyone be shocked?

Reactions: Zippgunn

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Green is a good coach and a players coach.

Because he chooses to attack and play with pressure it leaves the team more vulnerable than the boring risk free systems that Tortz or Trotz would make the team play. This fanbase detested AVs systems prior to Gillis pressuring him to adapt a more attacking philosophy. So careful what you wish for.

This year has been poor for Travis. No camp, all new defense pairings, some disgruntled players, some that fell flat followed by a horrendous schedule with terrible living and co existing arrangements has accentuated it.

Poor roster decisions has been frustrating and i think there is something to the relationship that Travis has had with upper management and ownership that implies he is/was not happy about his arrangement (roster and contractual).

I think the previous posters point about him being from SoCal could have merits but i also firmly believe much of the uncertainty is a wait and see with Benning and whether Aquilini sees him continuing on and whether a new President or manager may opt for a change.

That combined with the valuation of Greens services in the new market place is why this is taking it's time.

i question whether green has ever had the personnel to implement his game plan or ever will for that matter. i agree that if he does, it will be hard to beat a team that can play a high tempo pressure game for 60 minutes.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Owner appears to be going cheap on coaching. Imo our next coach will be paid under 1 mil per. likely won’t be Green, so maybe Cull gets promoted?

It is very bizarre that Aquilini is apparently fine with paying mediocre players like Beagle or Roussel $3,000,000 + a year but doesn't think getting a first-class coach is worth a similar investment.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
There is a plan don't worry about it. First Burrows will be head coach, then Luongo will be made GM, Then the team will be relocated to Quebec.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
It is very bizarre that Aquilini is apparently fine with paying mediocre players like Beagle or Roussel $3,000,000 + a year but doesn't think getting a first-class coach is worth a similar investment.
Yeah, there is something missing in all of this. None of these theories out there make any sense at all. Something is happening behind closed doors regarding the Aqua family that we aren't aware of.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

One of them has a Stanley Cup ring and the other was a heart and soul player for his buddy Sandman's team. Want what you don't have.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I take the opposite view.....the fact that Benning is presiding over a "capped-out" team, mainly because of the contracts for guys like Beagle, Roussel, Sutter etc., the owner probably thinks they're better than they really are. And that the coaching shouldn't make much difference.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I can’t share. Just saying they aren’t hurting financially. They are as strong as ever. They just don’t want to sink $ into the Canucks right now. It’s pretty short sighted but that’s their right

The team could go bankrupt without FA going bankrupt if they are two separate entities. These are billionaires toys to be sure, but they aren't supposed to be hemorrhaging cash like they (I speculate) are.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder if things would go any different if they took control of the team away from Aquilini and let Roberto or Paolo have final say. Revert back to an owner that signs the cheques but is very hands off.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
There's really a lot of 'excuses' here....with not much merit imo.

Every team in the league faced the same handicap entering the season.....three practices and you were plunged into the regular season. And none came out of the gate worse than the Canucks. That speaks to me of a lack of preparation and coaching.

Travis Green seems like a decent guy....his players seem to like him and the media fawns all over him. But the reality is, he's completing his third season behind the bench....and the bottom line is that the Canucks simply haven't won enough games. And the common factor in all three seasons is that the Canucks have been atrocious defensively.

There's a lot of teams in this league who don't have near the talent the Canucks do, but the one thing the coaches and players can control is keeping the puck out of their own net with a strong defensive system......something completely lacking in VanCity.

If Green had been the coach in Montreal, Toronto, Philly or New York, would he have lasted three seasons? Hardly.

But then, that's just the reality of coaching in the NHL. In the same time period, Gerard Gallant; Mike Babcock; Joel Quenneville ; and Claude Julien have all been fired. And three of them have won Cups during their careers.

So barring any sort of miracle post-COVID run by the Canucks, there's a coaching change coming this off-season. And why would anyone be shocked?
Every D pair was new and Hughes Pettersson and Miller were not themselves as well as Virtanen and Gaudette shat the bed.

I'm not sure what any coach would have been able to do to mitigate that without a camp and a chance to bring the group together to gel but that wasn't possible with Covid and the restrictions

The rest of your post i can agree with but i think it's unnecessary and just will make the group go through another adjustment period.

i think he's a good coach who lost his way a bit this year. It's been a weird year. I would be more willing to grant Travis some slack than Benning who's issues were from his own doings but i could understand change top to bottom given the results

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
i question whether green has ever had the personnel to implement his game plan or ever will for that matter. i agree that if he does, it will be hard to beat a team that can play a high tempo pressure game for 60 minutes.

Yeah, I'd put the majority of blame for team performance on Benning, it's inarguable he's made terrible roster decisions that handicap the coach.

But even with the roster being as weak as it is, it's still under-performing on things that are within the coach's control (team seems chronically unprepared, defensive system which is more about discipline and structure than talent is lacking).

So both should probably be fired, but start with new management and then let them decide if they want to/can work with the coaching staff.

But re-sign Clark.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

i think he's a good coach who lost his way a bit this year. It's been a weird year. I would be more willing to grant Travis some slack than Benning who's issues were from his own doings but i could understand change top to bottom given the results

I wish I could be as charitable. The team was hemmed in its own zone pre-COVID and hemorrhaging high quality chances against. The team continued to be hemmed in post-COVID, only surrendering even uglier high quality chances with the departure of Tanev (I'll be nice and say the drop off from Marky to Demko wasn't awful).

To play Travis Green hockey is the equivalent of employing a full court press all of the time. In other words, totally unsustainable.

That's on Green and his AHL-level defensive schemes that just do not translate at the NHL level.

Benning needs to go, no doubt. But really, so does Green.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I wish I could be as charitable. The team was hemmed in its own zone pre-COVID and hemorrhaging high quality chances against. The team continued to be hemmed in post-COVID, only surrendering even uglier high quality chances with the departure of Tanev (I'll be nice and say the drop off from Marky to Demko wasn't awful).

To play Travis Green hockey is the equivalent of employing a full court press all of the time. In other words, totally unsustainable.

That's on Green and his AHL-level defensive schemes that just do not translate at the NHL level.

Out of curiosity given Gallant seems to be earmarked for Seattle who would you want to replace him

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Yeah, there is something missing in all of this. None of these theories out there make any sense at all. Something is happening behind closed doors regarding the Aqua family that we aren't aware of.

The rumour was that FAQ was interested in selling the Franchise but not the stadium or the land the stadium is on. Meaning the new owners would have to build a new stadium somewhere else leaving FAQ to develop the land the stadium is on for a massive profit.

The other rumour relating to this was that FAQ was actually going to use the proceeds from selling the Franchise and buy into the new Seattle franchise.

Either way, it flies in the face of their Motto that they are "Your Vancouver Canucks."

I have previously posted the links to these stories by (supposed) journalists of the 5th Estate before.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I seriously doubt it is a money thing. Green will not command a lot of money and if they aren't willing to pay Green money to someone they are looking at a very shallow pool of candidates who will likely be worse than Green.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wish I could be as charitable. The team was hemmed in its own zone pre-COVID and hemorrhaging high quality chances against.

This is it exactly. A full press works great in lower levels, because the opposing players don’t have the elite skills to break it down. In the nhL the talent is too good. The puck gets moved through the press, and it ends up being an odd man rush (with no back pressure) the other way. This is exactly why we don’t see full court presses used in the NBA and they shouldn’t be used in the NHL. It just will not work. If they worked, then winning teams would use them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad