Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Really bad sign that AQ's cheaping out...especially as you knew the cost-cutting would come in the wrong areas. Coaching? I mean, look at who they've got. You can't tell me that's an expensive lineup. He wants to skimp even more?

Not good.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Really bad sign that AQ's cheaping out...especially as you knew the cost-cutting would come in the wrong areas. Coaching? I mean, look at who they've got. You can't tell me that's an expensive lineup. He wants to skimp even more?

Not good.
Guest on 650 yesterday (Johnson?) said the Canucks trimmed their staff, after the Covid shutdown, from one of the biggest in the league to one of the smallest.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I see no chance green gets resigned, baring a miracle playoff appearance.
Something from the top to bottom is fishy here, No way in hell he should have no contract right now.
Even the ownership are not fans, Or Jimbo is not a fan.

My guess it's something to do with some petty grudge.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Something from the top to bottom is fishy here, No way in hell he should have no contract right now.

Brindamour doesn’t have a contract either. And he’s coaching a team that’s got a shot. Maybe some owners just think a good cheap coach can get results as well as a good expensive coach? Cheaping out on our goalie coach might be even worse than losing Green.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Probably the main factor is that despite the overwhelming support of the Bros in the Media, by every metric of his team, Green is a poor coach.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Spanky-X-

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
My guess - that it is COVID / family related and TG is waiting to see how this plays out, or even has decided to move south of the border.

TG's family doesn't live in B.C. or even in Canada - they are in Orange County (recent news around COVID referenced this). From a family perspective, it would make a ton of sense to move to a US team closer to his family's home.

(Also, I bet he could get more money elsewhere. But my guess is that is lower on the list of priorities).

Reactions: David71

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
My guess - that it is COVID / family related and TG is waiting to see how this plays out, or even has decided to move south of the border.

TG's family doesn't live in B.C. or even in Canada - they are in Orange County (recent news around COVID referenced this). From a family perspective, it would make a ton of sense to move to a US team closer to his family's home.

(Also, I bet he could get more money elsewhere. But my guess is that is lower on the list of priorities).

good point. he may have an offer from one of the los angeles teams, or he may have promised his family that he will spend time with them.

the local media have not really touched this story and there is no doubt a reason for this because it could easily be a big story for them. whatever is up, i don't sense acrimony. i do think green has been mailing it in a little this year at times, but that could be covid fatigue and knowing his team is not good enough.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The local media all want Travis back and have made a point to mention it.

I think it’s the combo of what spanky and Izzy just said.

One, Travis isn’t a great coach and the results and stats point to that.

But on the other hand, he could be the one holding it up.

I think it’s a good sign Aquilini hasn’t signed him even with Benning saying he’d sign him. To me the group needs structure on the ice. Travis has shown little ability to do this.

It was said on here previously that a Green extension basically signifies Benning is locked in here for awhile. I would agree with that.

As long as Green remains unsigned there is hope.

I also think any X’s and O’s Coach would be a better replacement and improve the team.

Reactions: Jyrki21

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Green is a good coach and a players coach.

Because he chooses to attack and play with pressure it leaves the team more vulnerable than the boring risk free systems that Tortz or Trotz would make the team play. This fanbase detested AVs systems prior to Gillis pressuring him to adapt a more attacking philosophy. So careful what you wish for.

This year has been poor for Travis. No camp, all new defense pairings, some disgruntled players, some that fell flat followed by a horrendous schedule with terrible living and co existing arrangements has accentuated it.

Poor roster decisions has been frustrating and i think there is something to the relationship that Travis has had with upper management and ownership that implies he is/was not happy about his arrangement (roster and contractual).

I think the previous posters point about him being from SoCal could have merits but i also firmly believe much of the uncertainty is a wait and see with Benning and whether Aquilini sees him continuing on and whether a new President or manager may opt for a change.

That combined with the valuation of Greens services in the new market place is why this is taking it's time.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Brindamour doesn’t have a contract either. And he’s coaching a team that’s got a shot. Maybe some owners just think a good cheap coach can get results as well as a good expensive coach? Cheaping out on our goalie coach might be even worse than losing Green.

Their owner does seem to do things "differently" though. He doesn't really believe in contracts. Remember he allowed Waddell to interview with other teams. The owner has said that Brind'Amour will be there a long time and Brind'Amour has said in the past that he's not interested in coaching another team. There's likely a handshake guarantee that things would be taken care of.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
AV coached to the players at his disposal. This is not the same.

Uptempo doesn’t mean they need to give up the most shots/chances etc

This style of system has proved ineffective and is a terrible strategy. Some of us want to contend for championships not scrape in.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Please share, I'm curious.
I can’t share. Just saying they aren’t hurting financially. They are as strong as ever. They just don’t want to sink $ into the Canucks right now. It’s pretty short sighted but that’s their right

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Benning over spent.
His lack of restraint and bad judgements have resulted him over spending a years entire budget.
Now he has to pay and he is being kept around to take the heat of what will be a very, very bad off season.
He essentially had the team set up with a poison pill if he was canned last year, the next guy would have faced massive cuts to make the cap and bad feeling when a popular player needs to be traded.
This year and next will be needed to recover from his bad cap management and poor player decisions.
No contracts have been signed, I was actually surprised he had a deal for Demko and even more surprised of the premature Pearson signing. But then Gear took a couple of days off. Pearson is definitely a Benning dumb deal, too old, too much, clause, too soon and another cap risk.

Just fire this guy and get someone with a plan in there. What was the last 7 years for?
Signing Green at the last minute, what he should have done with Pearson, will no change my mind that Benning has to go.
I can see Benning waiting to sign Tryamkin, Podklozin and Green with the hopes that keeps his job or compromises the cap so badly the Aquilini's have to spend an additional 100 million to get rid of his expert decisions.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Here's my tinfoil hat theory: the team is on the verge of bankruptcy.

That's why a new president wasn't hired, why they have been cheap with the coaches, why they keep going for it when they should be rebuilding. FA can't afford to rebuild! He's going to lose the team soon if they don't make the playoffs and COVID has just accelerated the process. They are a cap ceiling team that can't push merchandise. That's why he handed that idiotic deal to TP, he's not planning to be around for year 3 of that deal. His antagonism of the fans has further fueled the death-spiral. Who follows this team anymore? I don't know about you, but I've completely tuned out.

...and yet here you are. We should be so lucky for this team to go bankrupt since that would mean new ownership. I for one would approve...

Reactions: Hammer79

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Wasnt Taj saying (reporting someone else saying as usual) that it sounds like Aquilini has tightened the purse strings, team doesnt want to pay Green; and that if Green walks ownership will not provide budget to pursue a top-value coach.

Frankincense must be hurting with CERB over

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
there was a lot of discussion about this on one of the podcasts this week, either sekeres and price or the vancast. i was only half paying attention while doing dishes and folding laundry, but there was something about either an aqualini quote or info from someone on the inside where FA said he wanted to go into next year with the league's cheapest coach (and GM?)

my guess here is FA is getting cut off by the family. i don't know if he'd want to retain travis, per se, but i think the craziness we're seeing, where they unsuccessfully chase OEL, then cut marky and tanev loose, then splurge on holtby, then lose toffoli, and so on isn't just benning being benning. my guess is things are going back and forth being FA, who would continue to wildly overspend, and the family, who are this close to stripping the team for parts. i think that's also why out of nowhere we extended pearson to that contract, when nobody thought benning had the authority to make those kinds of commitments anymore. i wonder if frankie is just acting out and splashing the pot when the rest of the board isn't looking.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
there was a lot of discussion about this on one of the podcasts this week, either sekeres and price or the vancast. i was only half paying attention while doing dishes and folding laundry, but there was something about either an aqualini quote or info from someone on the inside where FA said he wanted to go into next year with the league's cheapest coach (and GM?)

my guess here is FA is getting cut off by the family. i don't know if he'd want to retain travis, per se, but i think the craziness we're seeing, where they unsuccessfully chase OEL, then cut marky and tanev loose, then splurge on holtby, then lose toffoli, and so on isn't just benning being benning. my guess is things are going back and forth being FA, who would continue to wildly overspend, and the family, who are this close to stripping the team for parts. i think that's also why out of nowhere we extended pearson to that contract, when nobody thought benning had the authority to make those kinds of commitments anymore. i wonder if frankie is just acting out and splashing the pot when the rest of the board isn't looking.
Better that they leave trust fund babies out of the hockey operations (other than hiring an actual experienced NHL executive to run things).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Better that they leave trust fund babies out of the hockey operations (other than hiring an actual experienced NHL executive to run things).

yeah one would hope

i only bring all this up because the narrative right now is "FA is being cheap." but knowing everything we know about him, i strongly doubt that. he has to be getting cut off.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Which metrics are these?
The so called 'metrics' have been identified by Sportsnet and commented on these boards often....but in case you missed the 'in-game' stats, here they are again:

Shots against: 33.6 --30th in the NHL
Slot shots allowed: 16.1 -- 29th in the NHL
Rush chances against: 7.2 --30th in the NHL
Expected goals against: 3.39 --31st (dead last) in the NHL

And keep in mind that's WITH Demko providing Vezina-quality goaltending most nights.

The sad reality is that those kind of 'metrics' would likely get a coach fired mid-season in any other market but this one.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Is it fair to call Aqua cheap when we've paid more $ per win than every club other than Detroit since 2015? I think he just doesn't understand why things have gone so poorly and simply has no idea where all the inefficiencies are. If the rest of the family are asking him why the club has performed so horrifically and he can't come up with answers, it makes sense they might want to tighten up.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The so called 'metrics' have been identified by Sportsnet and commented on these boards often....but in case you missed the 'in-game' stats, here they are again:

Shots against: 33.6 --30th in the NHL
Slot shots allowed: 16.1 -- 29th in the NHL
Rush chances against: 7.2 --30th in the NHL
Expected goals against: 3.39 --31st (dead last) in the NHL

And keep in mind that's WITH Demko providing Vezina-quality goaltending most nights.

The sad reality is that those kind of 'metrics' would likely get a coach fired mid-season in any other market but this one.
We had close to Vezina type goaltending last season as well & I’d hazard to guess the metrics wouldn’t be too far off this year’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad