Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The rumour was that FAQ was interested in selling the Franchise but not the stadium or the land the stadium is on. Meaning the new owners would have to build a new stadium somewhere else leaving FAQ to develop the land the stadium is on for a massive profit.

The other rumour relating to this was that FAQ was actually going to use the proceeds from selling the Franchise and buy into the new Seattle franchise.

Either way, it flies in the face of their Motto that they are "Your Vancouver Canucks."

I have previously posted the links to these stories by (supposed) journalists of the 5th Estate before.
Was it Burke who kept saying it only took one quarter (phone call) to move our team?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
There's more rumours than ever with this team and it has hardly to do with the actual players on the ice. Is it because the TSN 1040 guys lost their jobs and can't find anything better to do than gossip?

I don't mind the surplus of coverage from Rogers/Bell, but they need more former hockey players instead of nice radio voices/constant tweeters.

So what's the rumour? AQ is cheaping out? Maybe Green takes the cheap money because he sees an opportunity to win and get a bigger contract later?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Out of curiosity given Gallant seems to be earmarked for Seattle who would you want to replace him
I think we need someone who can institute a staid defensive system but allows our offensive talent to generate speed through the neutral zone once they exit the zone. That's a long list of coaches, but I would favor going with a proven commodity like Claude Julien.

To take the next step as a perennial playoff team (totally doable with our personnel), we need to play sound defensive hockey while not burning a ton of energy or counting on night after night of all-world goaltending. Julien could take us there. But so could other coaches like Babcock or Boudreau or even Bylsma.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There's really a lot of 'excuses' here....with not much merit imo.

Every team in the league faced the same handicap entering the season.....three practices and you were plunged into the regular season. And none came out of the gate worse than the Canucks. That speaks to me of a lack of preparation and coaching.

Travis Green seems like a decent guy....his players seem to like him and the media fawns all over him. But the reality is, he's completing his third season behind the bench....and the bottom line is that the Canucks simply haven't won enough games. And the common factor in all three seasons is that the Canucks have been atrocious defensively.

There's a lot of teams in this league who don't have near the talent the Canucks do, but the one thing the coaches and players can control is keeping the puck out of their own net with a strong defensive system......something completely lacking in VanCity.

If Green had been the coach in Montreal, Toronto, Philly or New York, would he have lasted three seasons? Hardly.

But then, that's just the reality of coaching in the NHL. In the same time period, Gerard Gallant; Mike Babcock; Joel Quenneville ; and Claude Julien have all been fired. And three of them have won Cups during their careers.

So barring any sort of miracle post-COVID run by the Canucks, there's a coaching change coming this off-season. And why would anyone be shocked?

Yeah, if Green had chops from his other locations he coached (as he is fresh) I might feel differently, but at the very least I do not believe he is going to coach us to hit above our weight, and there are coaches available right now who can do this for us.

Green's track record is really not that great with our team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah, if Green had chops from his other locations he coached (as he is fresh) I might feel differently, but at the very least I do not believe he is going to coach us to hit above our weight, and there are coaches available right now who can do this for us.

Green's track record is really not that great with our team.
Ain't that great at any hockey level (with respect to being a head coach).

Willie D has actually won championships as a head coach in the minors. Travis Green has well, participated.

3d306-2T.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Green has been serviceable.

We should have extended him already. And definitely should have extended IC asap, if winning was a priority.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Green has played youth when they earned it, for that reason alone i would be okay with him staying.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Green has played youth when they earned it, for that reason alone i would be okay with him staying.
So every coach ever?

This is some extremely low bar demands on a coach.

Has Green made anyone better?

The guys he’ll get credit for walked into the league as top 6 forwards/top 4 defensman.

edit* and lol to Travis never having the right personnel. Does any coach? Coaches deal with what they have.

I don’t think Travis actually brings any on ice value. He just rides his top players offensively and his vets defensively. Any structure or system is all out attack and prevent defense.

I want coaching to bring an element of competitive advantage. Trotz took the worst defensive team in the league to near the top in one season. It’s possible.

Too many pessimists around here willing to ride out the status quo.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Voted other.

Timing wise Benning has two years left. Guessing they offered Green two years at much less money than he was willing to take, and so now he's holding out for either a huge bump or 3+ years. Aquilini won't budge, and Benning the ever-talented self-preservationist, is willing to take his chances on another coach.

IMO, all of this stems from one factor; Aquilini seems to have absolutely no interest in firing someone in management and continuing to pay their salary. This is evident in how the franchise as a whole seems to treat Mike Gillis, John Tortorella and Roberto Luongo. And related. I think the team's financial troubles are overblown/gossip. This seems like a classic "principles" thing where the owner is cutting back office costs while cash flows are low, but gets to still maintain the "reputation" of always running a max cap roster. In the real estate business, it'd be like continuing to buy up more properties while paying the barebones minimum for your property managers, and placing harsh eviction rules on delinquint payments from tenants. That's not a profitability issue - that's a business decision based on a (scummy) philosophy and probably some odd billionaire/trust fund ego shit.

As a slightly different hot take; I'd be fine and probably happy with the Canucks hiring the lowest paid GM / coach. Stay away from the same recycled big names and find the next unheralded upcoming executive / coach. There are 32 positions - a team should absolutely be able to pay below market and find above average talent.

Reactions: bossram and F A N

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Since he is performing the duties of the Board of Governor, Managing Director, President, CEO and GM, one question remains: Does FAQ have any previous coaching experience...

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Voted other.

Timing wise Benning has two years left. Guessing they offered Green two years at much less money than he was willing to take, and so now he's holding out for either a huge bump or 3+ years. Aquilini won't budge, and Benning the ever-talented self-preservationist, is willing to take his chances on another coach.

IMO, all of this stems from one factor; Aquilini seems to have absolutely no interest in firing someone in management and continuing to pay their salary. This is evident in how the franchise as a whole seems to treat Mike Gillis, John Tortorella and Roberto Luongo. And related. I think the team's financial troubles are overblown/gossip. This seems like a classic "principles" thing where the owner is cutting back office costs while cash flows are low, but gets to still maintain the "reputation" of always running a max cap roster. In the real estate business, it'd be like continuing to buy up more properties while paying the barebones minimum for your property managers, and placing harsh eviction rules on delinquint payments from tenants. That's not a profitability issue - that's a business decision based on a (scummy) philosophy and probably some odd billionaire/trust fund ego shit.

As a slightly different hot take; I'd be fine and probably happy with the Canucks hiring the lowest paid GM / coach. Stay away from the same recycled big names and find the next unheralded upcoming executive / coach. There are 32 positions - a team should absolutely be able to pay below market and find above average talent.

I agree. There's often a pattern with wealthy business owners so to me nothing surprises me. Only with governments is it common to spend more when revenues decrease. Most well-managed companies would look to preserve capital. Make cuts where you can. Keep the top guys and staff that you don't need. You don't need that many people selling tickets when there are no fans allowed in the stadium etc.

And this is Travis Green we're talking about. How many of us here think he's a great coach and a big mistake to let him go? If you can choose to have the Canucks get rid of Eriksson's contract this summer but the price is you lose Green to Seattle would you do it? I would. I don't think Green is all that important. I'm not opposed to giving him another year with the team but I wouldn't mind a change either.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just watching the Pen’s broadcast intermission. Their experts spent a lot of time talking about the importance of back pressure from the forwards so the D can engage in the neutral zone, which slows down any attack. Watch us play, and count how many times we get forwards trapped deep and our
D have no support, so they’re for .edu to give up our blue line, because Green wants to full court press in hope for the odd turnover n the o zone. Teams play a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 forecheck for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
I don’t profess to know hockey systems very well, but lately, ever single team seems to have a distinct edge in the offensive zone versus the Canucks, who rely heavily on point shots and tips to generate offence.

Pettersson changes the complexion of the Nuck’s attack, and his absence is visible, but it appears to me that coaching (and personnel, Benning has to take some heavy blame here too) isn’t exactly creative. The only players who looks creative are Miller, complete with untimely turnovers, and Höglander.

If Green wants a massive raise to stay, good on him. Don’t know if resigning him is a step towards competing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t profess to know hockey systems very well, but lately, ever single team seems to have a distinct edge in the offensive zone versus the Canucks, who rely heavily on point shots and tips to generate offence.

Pettersson changes the complexion of the Nuck’s attack, and his absence is visible, but it appears to me that coaching (and personnel, Benning has to take some heavy blame here too) isn’t exactly creative. The only players who looks creative are Miller, complete with untimely turnovers, and Höglander.

If Green wants a massive raise to stay, good on him. Don’t know if resigning him is a step towards competing.
Listening to Kevin Woodly (650 goalie expert guest) and he was saying the highest danger chances come mostly off the rush, especially when it’s an outnumbered chance, because the goalie has to often track the puck across the top of the circles. We give up a boatload of those types of chances, where our lack of back pressure allows the other team to either skate the puck across the top of our circles or just pass it across.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Voted other.

Financially, speaking, would make the most sense to move off everyone in the off-season.

I don't know how Aquaman in 2019 can give Benning 3 additional years on top of his contract that had a year left. A 2 year deal at the time would have bought him last season and this season before they return to the same situation they were in 2019. Expectation should have been that by 2021 (pre-Covid world), is when the Canucks make the playoffs.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Lebrun is reporting that “a source suggested to me Friday that perhaps there could be news on this front sooner rather than later. So stay tuned there.”

Will be fascinating to see what happens next.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The so called 'metrics' have been identified by Sportsnet and commented on these boards often....but in case you missed the 'in-game' stats, here they are again:

Shots against: 33.6 --30th in the NHL
Slot shots allowed: 16.1 -- 29th in the NHL
Rush chances against: 7.2 --30th in the NHL
Expected goals against: 3.39 --31st (dead last) in the NHL

And keep in mind that's WITH Demko providing Vezina-quality goaltending most nights.

The sad reality is that those kind of 'metrics' would likely get a coach fired mid-season in any other market but this one.

Apparently they are extending this guy instead.

Must mean GMJB is staying as well.

So in summary, Failure has its rewards.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
H and B saying Lebrun reporting an offer coming today from Canucks to extend Green. But Lebrun wonders if the amount offered is much more than Green is getting now.
This is seemingly just like this management operates. Wait and wait then offer low (and take away certain levels of control) to guys they don’t really want back, like they did with Bracket.
With Green I’m wondering if the offer is low, the term is short, and management hires all the assistant coaches?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad