Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Darren Archibald to 1-Year, Two-Way Deal ($650k/$250k)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So you're admitting that Archibald was a better NHL player last year?

Smart GM’s don’t just look at one year’s body of work. They take into account a player’s history, his age, and possible reasons as to why a player had an off year (in Roussel’s case, it likely had to do with his incompatibility under Hitchcock’s system).

Eddie Lack also had a year that was as good or better than Ryan Miller’s season in 2014-2015. How did that pan out by the way?

Reactions: F A N

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
None of this has anything to do with how Archibald actually played this year.

None of this has anything to do with how Roussel actually played last year.

I don't think anyone would argue that Roussel was a better player in 2014.

I wasn't asking any of that. I was asking who was the better player last year.

Also 27 games is 1/3 of an NHL season. Apparently 9 games is enough to convince our GM that Sutter is again a #2 center.

So you're admitting that Archibald was a better NHL player last year?

Who was better last year doesn't really matter. What's important is who will be better next year. You want to bet based on 27 games, GMs prefer to bet based on 5 years.

Anyways, this doesn't really matter. You're a big Archibald backer, and the opinions of every NHL franchise is just an appeal to authority to you. I also like Archibald, but more as organizational depth, not an everyday NHLer. I also don't really like the Roussell signing. I still think claiming Archibald as a clear upgrade on Roussell is ridiculous.

If you were betting on who is going to have the better 2018/19 season, would you really bet on Archibald? If you would, imo you are way overvaluing the 2nd half of 2 teams having bad seasons.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Jeff Skinner scored more goals than Ovechkin in 2016-17, nobody was taking Skinner over Ovechkin. This argument is stupid, Roussel is better than Archibald.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Jesus /facepalm

Neither the last season nor the previous seasons matter except implicitly. What matters is the projection.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Jesus /facepalm

Neither the last season nor the previous seasons matter except implicitly. What matters is the projection.
So, Archibald has a decent AHL season by his standards (0.61 PPG in 16-17 vs 0.64 in 17-18), and all of a sudden he's a NHL player because we got hit by a ton of injuries upfront? That's the only reason he got in the line-up. He didn't show anything in pre-season. Roussel has his best season in 16-17, a bad one in 17-18, and all of a sudden he's worse than Archibald.

Archibald is the worst skater on our roster, and it isn't close. Why are we discussing this? I like Archibald in his role as a 3rd-4th call-up, but he's not a NHL regular, you need to be able to skate in the NHL, and Archibald isn't a good skater at the AHL level.

The statistics say what? He didn't get scored on? Look at Vegas and the Capitals, their 4th lines score goals. You can't play in the league without scoring goals.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So, Archibald has a decent AHL season by his standards (0.61 PPG in 16-17 vs 0.64 in 17-18), and all of a sudden he's a NHL player because we got hit by a ton of injuries upfront? That's the only reason he got in the line-up. He didn't show anything in pre-season. Roussel has his best season in 16-17, a bad one in 17-18, and all of a sudden he's worse than Archibald.

Archibald is the worst skater on our roster, and it isn't close. Why are we discussing this? I like Archibald in his role as a 3rd-4th call-up, but he's not a NHL regular, you need to be able to skate in the NHL, and Archibald isn't a good skater at the AHL level.

The statistics say what? He didn't get scored on? Look at Vegas and the Capitals, their 4th lines score goals. You can't play in the league without scoring goals.

That’s the problem with the JD Burke crew on here. Everything is about reading spreadsheets and advanced statistics.

If you actually tell these guys to watch the bloody games and SEE FOR THEMSELVES that Archibald is too damned slow, they pull out their spreadsheets and read you the riot act. Add to that, they simply hate Benning. That’s why the JD Burke crew on here are also quick to attack any Benning UFA signing or any young player that Benning traded a pick to get.

It never dawns on these guys that the reason why guys like Archibald and Gaunce will be hard pressed to make the team next season, is because they simply aren’t good enough. Advanced Stats and Corsi be damned. Watch the bloody games!

Reactions: jimslob

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I mean, our 4th line still isn't going to score. The difference is we're going to be paying over 6m for two guys who can't score, as opposed to 650k to one guy who already seems to have good chemistry with Sutter.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

The fact that you say he didn't show anything in pre season shows you are just making things up. He had an excellent pre season and many people wanted him on the team based on that.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I like this deal. It gives Utica a good leader, especially when it looks like lots of prospects (Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko, Lind, Palmu, Gadjovic?) will be there. Great leader down there and can get called up if Rousell/ Schaller get hurt on the 4th line.

My take on the actual contract is that he probably did have some feelers from other NHL teams, but at 28 years old there's not much room for improvement realistically. Other teams were probably offering him 2 way contracts as well, but at that point it makes more sense where he has an arguably (if it wasn't for all the extra UFA signings) to eventually play in the NHL this season. Additionally, he already has familiarity with the coaches in both Vancouver and Utica, so it would be easier to hit the ground running by staying in the organization.

I'd like him to wear the C in Utica, but realize that won't happen when he is a possibility for a callup but an A will do.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
That’s the problem with the JD Burke crew on here. Everything is about reading spreadsheets and advanced statistics.

If you actually tell these guys to watch the bloody games and SEE FOR THEMSELVES that Archibald is too damned slow, they pull out their spreadsheets and read you the riot act. Add to that, they simply hate Benning. That’s why the JD Burke crew on here are also quick to attack any Benning UFA signing or any young player that Benning traded a pick to get.

It never dawns on these guys that the reason why guys like Archibald and Gaunce will be hard pressed to make the team next season, is because they simply aren’t good enough. Advanced Stats and Corsi be damned. Watch the bloody games!

Who are the people in this nebulous "JD Burke crew" that you keep mentioning in multiple posts? Are you just putting up a strawman? I dislike Benning's body of work and think he is a bonifide moron but I was never asked to join a crew. Sounds cool though!

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The fact that you say he didn't show anything in pre season shows you are just making things up. He had an excellent pre season and many people wanted him on the team based on that.

Yeah, people recognized that it was moronic that the team hadn’t bothered to get him on an NHL deal from basically the moment they didn’t.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Who are the people in this nebulous "JD Burke crew" that you keep mentioning in multiple posts? Are you just putting up a strawman? I dislike Benning's body of work and think he is a bonifide moron but I was never asked to join a crew. Sounds cool though!

How daft and intellectually bankrupt does one have to be to not think that bloody MS watches the games?

The one guy who has been banging the drum hardest for Archibald all year is the same guy who probably has the highest levels of insane masochistic will to watch every damn shift no matter how terrible is the product Benning gives us.

I could care less about Archibald really, and freely admit to checking out last season, but to accuse MS of being a spreadsheet nerd, how clueless do you have to be? It's ridiculous. I am a spreadsheet nerd. Call me that if you want. I can barely watch this garbage team anymore, but I've said nothing about Archibald's play last season.

It's the guys who watched him who are praising his play, not nerds like me or that other guy who paid so little attention that he thought Megna was on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Whether Arch plays in Vancouver this year or not this contract was the right thing to do. One year at the NHL minimum with a nice AHL paycheck.

Archibald has been a loyal soldier for this organization and hasn't always been treated that well. Arch blew out his knee during the 2015 Calder Cup playoffs and wasn't offered either a NHL or AHL contract that summer. Instead he had to start out in Kalamazoo on an ECHL contract until the Comets brought him back on a PTO. He played for about half the season on a PTO before they finally offered him a standard AHL contract.

The following year he comes back on another AHL deal and leads the Comets with 23 goals. This past season he was the final training camp cut in Vancouver despite being on an AHL contract and eventually gets a NHL contract in February after leading the Comets to a long points streak after returning from injury.

This contract is the proper reward for all of the hard work that he has displayed and his loyalty to the organization. It also shows the rest of the guys playing in Utica as well as Kalamazoo that if they work hard and improve their game it won't go unnoticed.

Investing one of 50 contracts to reward a guy like Darren Archibald is the right thing to do and is a better use of a contract than many of the long shot ELCs that they hand out too often.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Archibald was in competition for a spot between Dorsett, Boeser, and Virtanen. He didn't outplay these guys. He's not a NHL level skater either, he's not suitable for anywhere in the line-up other than the 4th line because he can't keep up with other players.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

The poster you're replying to is utterly deranged

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Those are some good stats, but I think that could be more indicative of the fact that stats do not tell the whole story.

To me, the eye test will always take precedence over advanced stats, and perhaps this is where I differ from the JD Burke Army.

As a guy that watched the games, I saw a guy that was simply too slow for the NHL. After starting off inpressively, I think Archie’s lack of speed was evident.

Hence - management’s decision.

I know that you’re going to use the ‘appeal to authority’ argument against me, but here’s what I have to say in response to that:

IF Archibald is even half as good as you say he is.....or was......then he’ll go back to the American League and tear it up. I mean if he “magically” took such a quantum leap while he was here, he’ll surely go back to the American League and start tearing it up over there will he not? Like you said - he was on a 27 Point ES pace up here so lord only knows what his ES pace will be in the AHL.

IF Archie’s really that good, then a smart GM will (or already would have) low ball(ed) Benning for Archibald right? I mean do you REALLY think that Archie will go unnoticed by every single GM in the league if he was that effective?

And I know that you’re going to use the ‘Vegas’ example again to illustrate your thesis here, so I’ll leave you with this:

1) Did YOU predict that Vegas would be that good after Vegas assembled their roster last year?

2) Did JD Burke or any other “advanced stats” guru’s accurately predict the success of Vegas last year?

No. Absolutely no one predicted, or could have predicted, Vegas’ success last year and so for anyone to sit there on their high horse and claim that all GM’s in the league are idiots is extremely pretentious.

My eye test said he looked great, so that puts us at a stalemate. Which is kinda the thing with eye tests.

So thank goodness we have things called 'results' and 'evidence'. And those things strongly indicate that your eye test sucks.

And yes, this is another appeal to authority.

I thought Vegas' forwards would be good. I thought their defense would suck. I really don't see the point of the question.

Smart GM’s don’t just look at one year’s body of work. They take into account a player’s history, his age, and possible reasons as to why a player had an off year (in Roussel’s case, it likely had to do with his incompatibility under Hitchcock’s system).

Eddie Lack also had a year that was as good or better than Ryan Miller’s season in 2014-2015. How did that pan out by the way?

I'm glad you asked that. Even though Lack's career went through the worst-case scenario possible, trading him was still the wrong move. Markstrom was just as good as Miller right from the start of the next season, Miller's goaltending made zero difference to the team's fortunes, we would have received a higher return for Miller, and would have saved $5 million in cap space to improve the team elsewhere.

And you realize there are countless examples to the contrary, right? In our disappointing 05-06 season, two nobody prospects named Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa were called up and played pretty well but not outstandingly in the 2nd half. But showed something and were cheap, and I remember arguing against people who didn't want them on the roster for the next year. Imagine if we'd buried them behind a bunch of Jay Beagles instead of giving them a chance.

You can't be f***ing serious here.

I watch pretty much every goddamn game. And I watched Archibald play damned effective hockey in tough minutes, being a beast winning board battles, finishing every check, showing (almost impossibly) chemistry with Sutter, and consistently starting shifts in our zone and finishing in theirs. I never use Corsi or that kind of stuff when evaluating players. I do use zone starts which are hugely important when putting performances in context. And I apologize if my using the newfangled 'points' stat confused you.

How many games did you watch last year?

Oh, and by the way, Darren Archibald isn't slow. He has a clunky first step (which isn't ideal) but is one of the fastest players on the team in a straight line. Look what a slug he is here :

The guys on the team who are actually slow are players like Granlund and Gagner. But your shitty broken eye test probably doesn't pick up on that.

Reactions: rypper and timw33

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who was better last year doesn't really matter. What's important is who will be better next year. You want to bet based on 27 games, GMs prefer to bet based on 5 years.

What an astonishing statement. You have a guy on your team who played well last year and is signable for $650k, and it 'doesn't matter' that the guy you're going to spend $13 million to plug into that roster spot wasn't as good as him last year?

Of course there's a balance. If both guys were making $650k, the concerns about Roussel's brutal season probably cancel out the concerns about Archibald's sample size.

And if the choice was the other way around and we could spend $13 million on Archibald or $650k on Roussel, I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs for a Roussel signing.

But neither of those are the case, and if you take the two players performances, factor in the financial commitment, and choose Roussel, you're a moron and a terrible manager.

Anyways, this doesn't really matter. You're a big Archibald backer, and the opinions of every NHL franchise is just an appeal to authority to you. I also like Archibald, but more as organizational depth, not an everyday NHLer. I also don't really like the Roussell signing. I still think claiming Archibald as a clear upgrade on Roussell is ridiculous.

The stupidity of the NHL market is beyond belief. And constantly wrong.

I'm not sure why it's so tough for you guys to just talk about the merits of the player.

If you were betting on who is going to have the better 2018/19 season, would you really bet on Archibald? If you would, imo you are way overvaluing the 2nd half of 2 teams having bad seasons.

In equal opportunities, absolutely my money would be on Archibald.

Unless we get eviscerated by injuries, this will be a moot point as it's basically impossible that Archibald makes the team.

Reactions: timw33

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The guys on the team who are actually slow are players like Granlund and Gagner. But your ****ty broken eye test probably doesn't pick up on that.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

1). If Archibald gets another crack in the NHL (here or on another team) and does noticeably well (so we’re going with produces at a 3rd line rate?), I’ll give you your props. You can bump this post, tag me, and say I told you so. I’ll have zero issue with that.

For those of you reading this, remember what I said here.

2) I have no idea what the hell you are going on about with regards to Gagner and Granlund. I am not a fan of Gagner and never once praised his speed. Wtf? I have been somewhat complimentary of Granlund in the past, but never once praised his speed from what I remember.

If it was up to me, Granlund would be the 13th forward.......while Gagner would be shot out of a cannon into the Pacific Ocean.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So, Archibald has a decent AHL season by his standards (0.61 PPG in 16-17 vs 0.64 in 17-18), and all of a sudden he's a NHL player because we got hit by a ton of injuries upfront? That's the only reason he got in the line-up. He didn't show anything in pre-season.

Archibald had a very good camp and preseason what are you talking about

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
In our disappointing 05-06 season, two nobody prospects named Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa were called up and played pretty well but not outstandingly in the 2nd half. But showed something and were cheap, and I remember arguing against people who didn't want them on the roster for the next year. Imagine if we'd buried them behind a bunch of Jay Beagles instead of giving them a chance.

Haha, I still remember that epic thread on CDC. Titled something like "Burrows...do we really want him?"

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Dislike both of these (Beagle/Roussel) contracts to varying degrees.
Really, really, really don't like the Jay Beagle deal. I saw more logic in the Roussel signing. This article from TSN's Travis Yost trashes (justifiably) the Canucks approach to free agency, but for @MS, he also makes a good stats-based case for Roussel not being garbage.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/canucks-take-a-curious-approach-to-free-agency-1.1129744

As for Archibald, he's a big pile of meh for me, and his contract is just about perfect for what he is.
Unless he's left some better opportunities on the table for some crazy unknown reason, this appears to be the best he could get.
I'm open to the idea that he's better than I think, and hopefully he gets a chance to prove it this year. But there's a section of the board that's always going on about small sample sizes. Isn't 27 games a small sample size to make a definitive judgement on?

He's got another year to 'prove it,' and no doubt he'll see NHL time because the Canucks are annually one of the most banged up teams in the league.

Last edited:

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Just finished listening to the 31 Thoughts podcast with Jeff Marek and Elliott Friedmann.
Friedmann's take on Canucks free agency is it was all Travis Green driven. The coach wanted Beagle and Roussel and Benning obliged.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I like the Archibald contract. While I think he could come in and play amongst the top 12 forwards on this team every night as they plummet to the bottom of the standings, I'm not sure he is actually NHL material in the long run. However, he is a fantastic player in the AHL for whover has him so the 250k AHL salary is well deserved.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Just finished listening to the 31 Thoughts podcast with Jeff Marek and Elliott Friedmann.
Friedmann's take on Canucks free agency is it was all Travis Green driven. The coach wanted Beagle and Roussel and Benning obliged.

Doesn't surprise me. Coaches like veterans especially when they are asked to win. And whether they say the rebuild word or not, I believe the primary instructions are to try to win first and incorporate youth second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad