Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Darren Archibald to 1-Year, Two-Way Deal ($650k/$250k)

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
"27 games in garbage time" ? What ? That's 54 points worth of games. That's one third of an entire season. That's plenty of time with plenty of teams looking to try and make the playoffs/improve their place in the standings. Saying 27 games in garbage time just seems like an excuse to write off Archibald's strong play.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
"27 games in garbage time" ? What ? That's 54 points worth of games. That's one third of an entire season. That's plenty of time with plenty of teams looking to try and make the playoffs/improve their place in the standings. Saying 27 games in garbage time just seems like an excuse to write off Archibald's strong play.

did you watch those games?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Multiple sources are saying it's a one year, 2-way deal. No numbers yet.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Well the whole "garbage time" argument was used when people wanted to denigrate the improved play of guys like Sutter, Gagner and Jokinen during the last quarter of the season so why not here? Strangely Virtanen got exactly 25% of his points in this same "garbage time" and there are many who think he was terrific during this period. Makes you think...

Reactions: alternate

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He would look good beside Roussel and Beagle. Crash and bang and can play. Too bad we have 5000 forwards right now; hopefully someone like Gagner gets moved

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
He would look good beside Roussel and Beagle. Crash and bang and can play. Too bad we have 5000 forwards right now; hopefully someone like Gagner gets moved
I am hoping Gagner and Granlund are moved. Would be a dream to move Eriksson as well, but that ain't happening.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Good for Archie; I like the guy but I fear that his recent injuries have affected his physical game. He was pretty good for awhile last year and then kind of levelled out. Looks like he cares. I would love it if he took another step to NHL regular status. A quarter mil in the AHL is pretty good...

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I forgot we had Jokinen. Seems like forever ago.

Well the whole "garbage time" argument was used when people wanted to denigrate the improved play of guys like Sutter, Gagner and Jokinen during the last quarter of the season so why not here? Strangely Virtanen got exactly 25% of his points in this same "garbage time" and there are many who think he was terrific during this period. Makes you think...

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I don't know, that's a pretty fair value for a guy like Archibald; I don't really see why anyone would expect him to garner much more than that. While I was very impressed with his time in the NHL last season, he's also 28 years old and hasn't managed anything close to a point per game season in the AHL. That's naturally going to hurt his value, regardless of how he played in the final half of the year.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't know, that's a pretty fair value for a guy like Archibald; I don't really see why anyone would expect him to garner much more than that. While I was very impressed with his time in the NHL last season, he's also 28 years old and hasn't managed anything close to a point per game season in the AHL. That's naturally going to hurt his value, regardless of how he played in the final half of the year.

I don't expect him to get more money, but I expect him to get a shot with another organization.

Not really sure why he keeps coming back here for table scraps.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is all just spin.

Archibald played for a Canucks team with a ton of injuries. They were shutting guys down for the rest of the season after a sneeze. He had played for Green in Utica, so there was a level of familiarity. He earned an opportunity with his play in Utica, and kudos to Archibald, because he held his own in the situation. But he simply wasn't this tour de force your making him out to be. While his skating has improved, he's simply not an NHL level skater. He's a feel good story and easy to root for. But considering the circumstances (meaningless games), it feels a bit disingenuous to project 27 games to an 82 game pace.

None of this has anything to do with how Archibald actually played this year.

On the other hand, Roussell has more or less produced in the NHL at the same rate as Archibald has been producing in the AHL, until Archi had a break out two seasons ago. I'm not a big fan of this signing, so I'm not here signing the praises of Rousell or his contract, but over the last 5-6 years, he's clearly been the much better hockey player between the two.

None of this has anything to do with how Roussel actually played last year.

I don't think anyone would argue that Roussel was a better player in 2014.

So we should take 27 games played in garbage time, and one season played on a badly underachieving team with an old-school coach, and just flush the rest of their careers down the toilet? Just ignore that Roussell has been good for 12+ goals in the NHL for the past four seasons preceding this one, while Archibald has 5 NHL goals total in his career?

I wasn't asking any of that. I was asking who was the better player last year.

Also 27 games is 1/3 of an NHL season. Apparently 9 games is enough to convince our GM that Sutter is again a #2 center.

Personally, I wouldn't make the assumption that Archibald's 27 games in garbage time represent a sustainable uptick in play, nor that a down year for Roussell sets a permanent ceiling on his level of play. But hey, you want to, so fill your boots.

So you're admitting that Archibald was a better NHL player last year?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I have no idea what every GM thinks and no idea what our coaching staff thinks.

But yes, he was that effective.

He played 15 minutes/game on a high leverage checking line next to Sutter that sawed off goal differentials despite having the toughest usage in the NHL. That line was the biggest bright spot in the 2nd half of our season.

He scored at a 27-point ES pace which is exceptional for his usage (Baertschi just got $10 million for scoring at a 30-point ES pace from the #1 line).

He was a PK unit regular who generated amongst the better results of our teams' forwards.

He was on pace for 243 hits/82 games which would make him one of the most physical players in the league and our most physical forward by a mile (that's more than the two 'tough' wingers we signed yesterday *combined* by the way).

If you can look at that mountain of evidence that this player was an effective 3rd line NHLer and then conclude he isn't even 4th line caliber ... I'm not sure what to say.

And I give zero ****s about your appeals to authority about the market. These are the sort of idiots who traded 2/3 of one of the best #1 lines in the NHL to Vegas so they wouldn't lose a healthy scratch 7th defender.

Those are some good stats, but I think that could be more indicative of the fact that stats do not tell the whole story.

To me, the eye test will always take precedence over advanced stats, and perhaps this is where I differ from the JD Burke Army.

As a guy that watched the games, I saw a guy that was simply too slow for the NHL. After starting off inpressively, I think Archie’s lack of speed was evident.

Hence - management’s decision.

I know that you’re going to use the ‘appeal to authority’ argument against me, but here’s what I have to say in response to that:

IF Archibald is even half as good as you say he is.....or was......then he’ll go back to the American League and tear it up. I mean if he “magically” took such a quantum leap while he was here, he’ll surely go back to the American League and start tearing it up over there will he not? Like you said - he was on a 27 Point ES pace up here so lord only knows what his ES pace will be in the AHL.

IF Archie’s really that good, then a smart GM will (or already would have) low ball(ed) Benning for Archibald right? I mean do you REALLY think that Archie will go unnoticed by every single GM in the league if he was that effective?

And I know that you’re going to use the ‘Vegas’ example again to illustrate your thesis here, so I’ll leave you with this:

1) Did YOU predict that Vegas would be that good after Vegas assembled their roster last year?

2) Did JD Burke or any other “advanced stats” guru’s accurately predict the success of Vegas last year?

No. Absolutely no one predicted, or could have predicted, Vegas’ success last year and so for anyone to sit there on their high horse and claim that all GM’s in the league are idiots is extremely pretentious.

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad