Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Darren Archibald to 1-Year, Two-Way Deal ($650k/$250k)

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
No idea why he'd sign here when he's not going to play in the NHL now that theres a glut of overpaid 4th liners ahead of him.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I liked what he brought to the team last year, though he should not be a regular in an NHL lineup. Good for Utica, good for call-ups.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
For how long and how much??? Has to be a minor league deal with the Comets

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Two-way deal per Rick Dhaliwal.

Win win for us here - he's a leader and top player if he goes to Utica, and he's a solid fourth liner if he goes to Vancouver.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Two-way deal per Rick Dhaliwal.

Win win for us here - he's a leader and top player if he goes to Utica, and he's a solid fourth liner if he goes to Vancouver.

It'll be good for Utica. Unless there's dramatic stuff happening between now and October, I can't see him in the NHL line-up.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
With our recent spree, he would at best be a role player on that 4th line.

How ever, I like Archibald, and if we do have injuries, I like that we have someone who can be called up and step into that kind of role.

We have depth, and short of another 3+ million dollar, 4 year contract, I am happy we brought him back.

Now we have depth, let's get a game break with the rest of this money.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Good for Archi. Not likely good enough to be a full time NHLer but played great for the first few games of his call up last year. Hopefully will be good for young guys to look up to in Utica

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The sad part is that hes most likely an upgrade over Roussell and yet the idiot thought it would be amazing to sign the inferior player to a larger contract worth more money given the rat from Dallas is now his new shiny toy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He'd be a pretty good fit on the 4th line with Beagle and Roussel though. I bet we see that in the preseason

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Glad to have Archibald back. Loyal soldier that is a valuable piece in Utica and provides some depth.

The sad part is that hes most likely an upgrade over Roussell and yet the idiot thought it would be amazing to sign the inferior player to a larger contract worth more money given the rat from Dallas is now his new shiny toy.

The reason Archibald circled back to our apparently 2way offer is because he didn't have any one year options. Or do you think he turned down one way money to stay in our organization?

Meanwhile Roussell apparently had multiple suitors that drove his contract to <$12m. Let's keep a foot in reality.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Glad to have Archibald back. Loyal soldier that is a valuable piece in Utica and provides some depth.

The reason Archibald circled back to our apparently 2way offer is because he didn't have any one year options. Or do you think he turned down one way money to stay in our organization?

Meanwhile Roussell apparently had multiple suitors that drove his contract to <$12m. Let's keep a foot in reality.

Regardless of what transpired, signing him is great.

If we want to set a foot in reality, we simply don't sign the 4th liner Rousell to begin with given the demands he laid out. He's not an upgrade over Archibald if we see the performance Russell threw out last season. He's already shown signs of regression which is likely given his age. If we are going to sign him, limit the term at the very least. If you can't do that, you look somewhere else or better yet internally from the organization.

As a Benning apologist, you can do better than that.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm not sure what being a Benning apologist has to do with anything. You're claiming Archibald is a better player than Rousell. I'm just pointing out that the market doesn't even see Archibald as an every day NHLer. Is the market also a Benning apologist?

Reactions: Zippgunn

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The general market (on the competent side) does not see Roussell to be the type of player that should be given four year term contracts , only Benning or a bad GM sees it that way. If Roussell was drove in to the <$12 M, a GOOD GM simply relinquishes/ escape from it when looking at long term implications.

Also he's been given more offers than Archibald since he's more established/more proven, not that he's better.

Last year's Roussell is not better than the performance Archibald brought to the table.

You're basically defending Benning (albeit not as excessive) hence the apologist claim can be considered valid. YMMV.

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
If Benning was the only GM interested in Roussell you might have a point. But reports are that numerous teams made offers. I don't know who those other teams are, so possibly they are all bad GMs.

I also think it's a safe assumption that no GM offered Archibald a 1way deal. That means none of the good GMs viewed Archibald as an every day NHLer, neither did any of the bad ones.

Just acknowledge that your statement that Archibald is "most likely an upgrade on Roussell " is not supported by the market, and we can get back to celebrating Archibald being back with the organization.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Archi is not an NHL player. Utica bound.

0 interest from other teams.

This post wins the thread.

It truly is amazing how certain players on here have become “faces” and “heels” based on whether Benning traded a pick for said player or signed then via free agency.

Is Archibald being held down by the man? Is Archibald being overlooked? No. The has difficulty skating at the NHL level and management made the right decision by trying to upgrade on him. Period.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm not sure what being a Benning apologist has to do with anything. You're claiming Archibald is a better player than Rousell. I'm just pointing out that the market doesn't even see Archibald as an every day NHLer. Is the market also a Benning apologist?

It’s just like a few years ago when many posters on here lost their minds over the fact that Benning couldn’t get atleast a 2nd round pick for Eddie Lack. The league wide perception at the time was that Eddie Lack was a back-up goalie.....and was a slight tier below the likes of Robin Lehner and Cam Talbot. Hence, a 3rd rounder and 7th rounder. Time has proven that Lack was actually below the calibre of NHL back-up.

Similarly, many posters on here are angry because their misguided “JD Burke/HF” perception is vastly different from the perception of the NHL market.

Archibald is not a good 4th line NHL player as the “braintrust” on here would have you believe. Archibald is an AHL calibre player that should only get a sniff of the NHL when there are injuries.

Reactions: Warh1ppy

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
If Benning was the only GM interested in Roussell you might have a point. But reports are that numerous teams made offers. I don't know who those other teams are, so possibly they are all bad GMs.

I also think it's a safe assumption that no GM offered Archibald a 1way deal. That means none of the good GMs viewed Archibald as an every day NHLer, neither did any of the bad ones.

Just acknowledge that your statement that Archibald is "most likely an upgrade on Roussell " is not supported by the market, and we can get back to celebrating Archibald being back with the organization.

They may have made offers, but not to the point of what Benning has chosen for.

That's because he's not that proven at this point in time, but whenever he played, he was an upgrade over some of our players along with last year's Roussell.

I never implied that the market deemed Archibald an upgrade, nor was that the point being made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad