Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Brandon Sutter to 1-Year, $1.125M Deal

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
1 year at 1 Mill is about all the Sutter I can stomach. Actually it's more than I wanted to stomach.

I suppose it doesn't hurt having a RHC who can anchor the 4C role. But I would have preferred to move on, even on a gamble like Graovac.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
A 1yr $1.1M deal is not a bad deal for the Canucks at all and I'm not sure why people are getting their panties in a bunch. I can stomach him on that type of contract where he isn't expected to be a core piece. Could also be better for him as a player as well. On this type of deal he'll be expected to be a 4th line depth player with experience. Could be valuable come playoffs.

There are a number of ways this could have turned out badly for the team but this isn't one of them.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Seems like a nice team friendly deal to me. Sutter fills the void left by Beagle at a cap hit and term I can get behind 100%. His problem was always the contract was a negative asset. This however, can be moved if we're not in the race.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Well the contract is a ton better than before. If he can ever stay healthy will help on a limited basis (faceoffs and PK - which he is actually good at). Just got to hope for the best (probably forlornly) and that he can survive injury in a less prominent role.

Down side is he can't supply the sand paper Beagle provided. (although Beagle could provide little else)

Reactions: mathonwy

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If Sutter is used exclusively on the fourth line and on the PK, I'm indifferent to this. He's good enough in both those roles (in fact, he's actually quite good on the PK). My concern is Green moving him up the lineup.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sutter is actually a capable 4C. The issue is the acquisition cost and former contract were so far beyond his actual ability.

Now Sutter should be paid and utilized appropriately. Nothing wrong with this.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Benning would have been in on a guy like Kuraly if not for this deal, dodged another Benning self-inflicted bullet wound

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
In a vacuum, it's not a bad deal for a depth player that has some uses. However in reality, I'd rather the team move on from players that didn't work out rather than assign them lesser roles and lower expectations.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I have been banging the Derek Ryan drum for a while so if he signs for similar, I’ll be a bit disappointed.

Just wanted to move on from Sutter man.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

LogicalOrca

Jul 25, 2021
About 2 million and 3 years too low for me for a caliber of player that SuperGM Jet Black was willing to trade hefty draft capital for. Rare mistake from Jim for not giving the respect the Sutter family name deserves.

Reactions: vanuck

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Player / Coach in Abby..... ???

Sutter can be our Reggie Dunlop.......

reg.jpg

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Of all the contracts handed out to day, this is one of the ones that people should get annoyed with the least.
It's less about numbers and more about continuing to cling on to the same problems that haven't worked for 5+ years.

It sends the message that the product that has been put on the ice, and for the most part failed, is good enough (which it isn't).

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Annoyed we went with Sutter for another year. If we see Green put him out on the PP or in 3on3 again over the likes of Hog/Garland/Pod (which is highly likely) i’m going to lose it

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Can't stand the player or his attitude.

It's a good contract from an on-ice or salary cap perspective but I dislike him as a person and was looking forward to him finally being gone.

Hopefully there's no trade protection so a new GM can flip him at the deadline.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
The only issue I have with this is that he'll be Green's vet pet, but the additional middle 6 talent should alleviate the most egregious usage issues.

Scoring should still be an issue of the bottom 6 though and I wonder if reallocating the money better in the musical chair FA battle would have solved this. Like Bonino, Pysyk, Nosek and an expansion dman target vs Dickinson, Sutter, Poolman and Schenn.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
He's not more than a league min at this point...Classic Benning giving him some incentive when he has all the leverage in the world...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00