Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Brandon Sutter to 1-Year, $1.125M Deal

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
Cause the best way to build team morale is to squeeze every penny out of the other players to pay the superstars?

Shouldn't be a problem; we overpay a lot for veteran leadership and intangibles to keep team morale up through hell and high water.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose at age 32 there's a chance Sutter discovers the 'fountain of youth'. But then at his current price-point of $1.1m, all the Canucks need out of him is to be reliable in the face-off dot; kill some penalties; and be a leader in the dressing-room.

It's really too bad about Sutter in Vancouver. Obviously the negativity was entirely based on his contract and the fact that he was beset with a rash of serious injuries during this career. And even in the games he did play, I doubt he was ever fully healthy and gutted it out nevertheless.

But now the Canucks aren't relying on him to be anything more than a reliable veteran forward earning slightly above the league minimum. I just hope for his sake he can go through an entire year without landing on IR for an extended period.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I suppose at age 32 there's a chance Sutter discovers the 'fountain of youth'. But then at his current price-point of $1.1m, all the Canucks need out of him is to be reliable in the face-off dot; kill some penalties; and be a leader in the dressing-room.

It's really too bad about Sutter in Vancouver. Obviously the negativity was entirely based on his contract and the fact that he was beset with a rash of serious injuries during this career. And even in the games he did play, I doubt he was ever fully healthy and gutted it out nevertheless.

But now the Canucks aren't relying on him to be anything more than a reliable veteran forward earning slightly above the league minimum. I just hope for his sake he can go through an entire year without landing on IR for an extended period.
or that we traded him for a superior Center & downgraded a pick. A DimJim special.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Sutter at $1.25M is a completely fine contract. People may actually start to like him if he plays the way he has the last few seasons at that price. Not being overpaid goes a long way with casual fans. Someone should mention that to Pettersson/Hughes. I think of Marner/Matthews and how much flack they take for their play especially after they demanded the extra few million a year. Someone like Brayden Point did the right thing in the long term, his fans will like him more, and he will give himself a better opportunity for better linemates. Pettersson for 8 years at 7 million is a god in Vancouver, Pettersson for 3 years 10 Million will be called out every time he mishandles the puck.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Sutter at $1.25M is a completely fine contract. People may actually start to like him if he plays the way he has the last few seasons at that price. Not being overpaid goes a long way with casual fans. Someone should mention that to Pettersson/Hughes. I think of Marner/Matthews and how much flack they take for their play especially after they demanded the extra few million a year. Someone like Brayden Point did the right thing in the long term, his fans will like him more, and he will give himself a better opportunity for better linemates. Pettersson for 8 years at 7 million is a god in Vancouver, Pettersson for 3 years 10 Million will be called out every time he mishandles the puck.

only way any Canuck takes a discount is if they believe the team is a perennial winner and they are within reach of the cup. Right now that’s not clear

I do agree with everything you have said though

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So is this NEW Sutter contract an ADMISSION by Benning that his first ridiculous contract for Sutter was 4x worse than it should have been? Or should we account for that the cap was actually LOWER back then so maybe is 5x worse than what it should have been???

Reactions: LordBacon

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So is this NEW Sutter contract an ADMISSION by Benning that his first ridiculous contract for Sutter was 4x worse than it should have been? Or should we account for that the cap was actually LOWER back then so maybe is 5x worse than what it should have been???

Don't think it's an admission of anything beyond what Sutter is worth now. Clearly a 27 year old 3rd line C who plays almost every game and coming off a 21 goal season is worth more than a 32 year old C who has had trouble staying healthy and not the player he was.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Would really love to give the kids a shot and/or sign a guy like jumbo joe (barf) to a one year deal instead of sutter.
He’s proved time and time again over the years he’s really not that good, why are we even re-signing him when he’s obviously on a steep decline

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not me. He is a 13th forward. It should have been the league minimum, if we really had to bring him back.

Weird. This is one of our only contracts that we get more value than the money. There’s 15 other contracts to be more upset about.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In a perfect world, or at least in the case of the Canucks 'a more perfect world' some hotshot rookie or young guy acquired from another organization would come in and bump Sutter to the press-box or even to the minors.

But as we all know, after you get past Pettersson, Horvat and maybe Miller or Dickinson, the Canucks depth at center basically falls off a cliff.

So I suppose the 'good news' is that Sutter is back on a far more affordable contract of $1.25m. The 'bad news' is that the Canucks had absolutely nothing in the pipeline to replace him with as a fourth line center.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In a perfect world, or at least in the case of the Canucks 'a more perfect world' some hotshot rookie or young guy acquired from another organization would come in and bump Sutter to the press-box or even to the minors.

But as we all know, after you get past Pettersson, Horvat and maybe Miller or Dickinson, the Canucks depth at center basically falls off a cliff.

So I suppose the 'good news' is that Sutter is back on a far more affordable contract of $1.25m. The 'bad news' is that the Canucks had absolutely nothing in the pipeline to replace him with as a fourth line center.
Well, Gaudette was supposed to be that guy..He had some offensive chops, good shot..but was fairly clueless without the puck..Not good enough to be a top 6, and not really defined enough to be a bottom 6...Who knows though, with a different system and players..maybe he'll flourish.?

I like the centre depth on the Canucks this upcoming season..EP,Bo, Miller/Dickenson,Sutter..They all bring something unique to the team.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I just want to see sutter in a different teams sweater. I'm so tired of him idc if its even league minimum, just replace him with a waiver pickup.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Honestly, I have no idea why they didn't bring Graovac and Hawryluk back. They were solid 4th liners with us and they would be making league minimum probably. Like, you could do a lot worse.
Thats my thinking. Cheaper and younger. Graovac didnt even look bad last year as well in the like 9 games he got.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Honestly, I have no idea why they didn't bring Graovac and Hawryluk back. They were solid 4th liners with us and they would be making league minimum probably. Like, you could do a lot worse.

Thats my thinking. Cheaper and younger. Graovac didnt even look bad last year as well in the like 9 games he got.

I think the Canucks were interested in bringing Graovac back but Graovac decided to go and play in the KHL.

Hawryluk had his worst NHL "season" ever statistically.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
My guess is he's getting paid a lot more in the KHL than he would have made in the NHL, and he's betting on himself a bit being more than a 4th line contributor there, which he probably will be.

Good for him, just would have been nice to have him back for cheap.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think the Canucks were interested in bringing Graovac back but Graovac decided to go and play in the KHL.

Hawryluk had his worst NHL "season" ever statistically.
He was an absolute non factor last season..and was given lots of opportunities to prove himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->