Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Brandon Sutter to 1-Year, $1.125M Deal

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
I am comparing the situations between Cowan and Motte.

EDIT: Also, completely hilariously side stepping the whole bottom six discussion.

For reference

Jeff Cowan NHL Totals 413GP 47G 34A 81PTS 695PIM
Tyler Motte NHL Totals 211GP 28G 19A 47PTS 54PIM

Tyler Motte if keeps on same pace and plays the same amount as Jeff Cowan - 54G - 92A - 146PTS - 106PIM

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The number is fine, Not the end of the world.
Rather we moved on, but can live with this

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
For reference

Jeff Cowan NHL Totals 413GP 47G 34A 81PTS 695PIM
Tyler Motte NHL Totals 211GP 28G 19A 47PTS 54PIM

Tyler Motte if keeps on same pace and plays the same amount as Jeff Cowan - 54G - 92A - 146PTS - 106PIM

Yeah, I understand. I am not saying that they are the same player. I am taking fan hype over a small sample (Cowan's small offensive outburst vs Motte's small offensive outburst against St. Louis) to argue that the example given with Motte might have some sampling problems.

Motte is a better overall player than Cowan, who was a 4th line slug, but he's not someone that's going to be driving the play or being part of an offensive scoring line in the vein of Tampa, which is what @JAK was trying to make allusions to by pointing to his performance in the bubble against the Blues.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, I understand. I am not saying that they are the same player. I am taking fan hype over a small sample (Cowan's small offensive outburst vs Motte's small offensive outburst against St. Louis) to argue that the example given with Motte might have some sampling problems.

Motte is a better overall player than Cowan, who was a 4th line slug, but he's not someone that's going to be driving the play or being part of an offensive scoring line in the vein of Tampa, which is what @JAK was trying to make allusions to by pointing to his performance in the bubble against the Blues.
Motte brings a lot more than Cowan.

Motte might not put up the points, but his on ice performance is a higher tier player than Cowan for sure.

I don't know why people just look at points.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Motte brings a lot more than Cowan.

Motte might not put up the points, but his on ice performance is a higher tier player than Cowan for sure

I agree with you. Motte is absolutely a better player than Cowan and contribute more to a team.

I am simply disagreeing that he's going to be a huge points driver in the bottom six...especially if he's riding shotgun with Sutter, which is what the original discussion was centered on.

I don't know why people just look at points.

Well, it comes down to how you think a team should be constructed. I very much like the Tampa model and feel that the approach of having 2 scoring lines, a 'checking line' and an 'energy line'/4th line is outdated and that you need to be more balanced overall. We appear to disagree on that, so, whatever. It is what it is.

And offense was brought up because, specifically, Motte's performance in the bubble vs the Blues was a point you had made.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I agree with you. Motte is absolutely a better player than Cowan and contribute more to a team.

I am simply disagreeing that he's going to be a huge points driver in the bottom six...especially if he's riding shotgun with Sutter, which is what the original discussion was centered on.

Well, it comes down to how you think a team should be constructed. I very much like the Tampa model and feel that the approach of having 2 scoring lines, a 'checking line' and an 'energy line'/4th line is outdated and that you need to be more balanced overall. We appear to disagree on that, so, whatever. It is what it is.

And offense was brought up because, specifically, Motte's performance in the bubble vs the Blues was a point you had made.

This isn't NHL 21 where you can have 4 scoring lines.

Anyways, I'm done with arguing with someone who thinks a scoring support must be 40 point players.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Just, why? Why is he back? I don't care the term is short and the cap hit manageable. Open up roster spots for younger guys, Sutter's time has long come and gone, move on Jimbo. Jesus. :help:

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Good contract?

Still hate this guy, would've been happy to see him never wear a Canuck jersey again

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I wish they had waited to sign Pearson, but realistically if he's our biggest problem up front we're in so much better shape than years past.
Pearson has a track record of knowing how to play effectively with non-trash linemates. Not a play driver but effective support.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't mind this deal but Green is going to move him up the lineup instead of him playing 4th line C.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I wish we could have someone in the system competing with Sutter for the 4C position but at least he’s now being paid appropriately.
Hopefully he can stay healthy for the season, he’s fine as a 4C when he’s skating well.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Why?

I mean term and AAV...what ever. But Green will probably play him of Dickinson at every given opportunity, so why give him the temptation?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Why?

I mean term and AAV...what ever. But Green will probably play him of Dickinson at every given opportunity, so why give him the temptation?

so who do you sign for around a million with a 1 year term that’s a better option than Sutter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad