Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Adam Gaudette to 1-Year Deal ($950,000)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I like it. I think Gaudette can be good at it eventually.

I think some of the dismissive comments about Gaudette in this thread are off base. He can skate just fine it’s his endurance and his first steps which are mostly because he gets flat footed and lacks anticipation in his own zone that make him look too slow.

He might be 24 but AG is a late bloomer just like Tanev was in terms of his physical development I think it would be hasty to just point as his age and think he can’t develop.

He has offensive talents that will thrive if he can be trusted with better defensive play and decision making. I still see a Tyler Bozak type career if he can get his defensive game in order.
Pretty much . Gaudette had a disappointing playoffs I guess, his first experience,but he didnt cost the team anything. He is a GRADUAL learner so we should be patient with him. Hes a cost control guy who has some energy in the bottom 6. Hes like the one guy in the bottom 6 whose like the least of our problems

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Now this will be interesting

Can't see this working out too well. Guys who can't defend at ES usually don't magically defend well SH.

Is it really that hard to do the obvious thing and convert this shoot-first skill center who can't win faceoffs or play defense into a shoot-first scoring line winger?

Also LOL at 'secondary youth movement', which is a really nice way of saying they're rebuilding after Fake Stanley Cup 2020.

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
Can't see this working out too well. Guys who can't defend at ES usually don't magically defend well SH.

Is it really that hard to do the obvious thing and convert this shoot-first skill center who can't win faceoffs or play defense into a shoot-first scoring line winger?

Also LOL at 'secondary youth movement', which is a really nice way of saying they're rebuilding after Fake Stanley Cup 2020.

Gaudette massively improved last season, doubled his production, looks to be establishing himself in the NHL as a center who has barely 100 games under his belt and you want to throw a wrench into his development by changing his entire game? It's not always the case that a center moves seamlessly to the wing.

Defending is defending - I've never seen someone who defends well SH be bad at defending ES. Looks to me like they're trying to help Gaudette improve his overall defensive game in all situations by giving him PK training. That's the right approach. Gradually expanding a young player's role is the proper way to develop, not throwing your players off by radically switching their roles on a whim.

Looking to the future, teamwise, we already have enough wingers in the organization already, no need for Gaudette at wing. Would also create a hole at C - after Beagle and Sutter are gone we will desperately need guys to step up and fill the void by taking on the defensive responsibilities. Gaudette isn't going to displace Miller, Boeser, or Pearson or Hoglander if he makes the team and certainly won't be a better option than Podkolzin the year after.

None of what you said makes any sense unless your only concern is maybe getting a few more goals out of Gaudette next year.

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
It's pretty clear to see that Gaudette isn't fast or strong enough to be a winger and win puck battles in the corner, or beat defenders to the outside. Hopefully he can get stronger, but I don't see him getting much faster. Playing him at centre helps hide some of his foot-speed issues. That's why he's remained there. I'm still a believer in this player's offensive potential, but Sutter significantly outplayed him in the playoffs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gaudette massively improved last season, doubled his production, looks to be establishing himself in the NHL as a center who has barely 100 games under his belt and you want to throw a wrench into his development by changing his entire game? It's not always the case that a center moves seamlessly to the wing.

Defending is defending - I've never seen someone who defends well SH be bad at defending ES. Looks to me like they're trying to help Gaudette improve his overall defensive game in all situations by giving him PK training. That's the right approach. Gradually expanding a young player's role is the proper way to develop, not throwing your players off by radically switching their roles on a whim.

Looking to the future, teamwise, we already have enough wingers in the organization already, no need for Gaudette at wing. Would also create a hole at C - after Beagle and Sutter are gone we will desperately need guys to step up and fill the void by taking on the defensive responsibilities. Gaudette isn't going to displace Miller, Boeser, or Pearson or Hoglander if he makes the team and certainly won't be a better option than Podkolzin the year after.

None of what you said makes any sense unless your only concern is maybe getting a few more goals out of Gaudette next year.

Changing his entire game? No, nobody wants that. You want to put his skillset and play style in a position where it can succeed.

The problem is that he has a total winger skillset and the team has been trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole for years.

He can't win faceoffs, he's a shoot-first player who doesn't distribute the puck well, and he's very poor at tracking the play back defensively. Trying to shape him into a checking line center is bizarre, doesn't suit him well at all, and is what is actually 'changing his entire game'.

Hoglander won't be on the team this year and Pearson won't be on the team in 21-22. Your roster math is bad.

It's pretty clear to see that Gaudette isn't fast or strong enough to be a winger and win puck battles in the corner, or beat defenders to the outside. Hopefully he can get stronger, but I don't see him getting much faster. Playing him at centre helps hide some of his foot-speed issues. That's why he's remained there. I'm still a believer in this player's offensive potential, but Sutter significantly outplayed him in the playoffs.

Footspeed can be hidden much easier on the wing than at C. This is an absolutely bizarre comment.

This is why a slugs like Toffoli who played C in junior was converted to wing in pro. As Gaudette should be.

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
Footspeed can be hidden much easier on the wing than at C. This is an absolutely bizarre comment.

This is why a slugs like Toffoli who played C in junior was converted to wing in pro. As Gaudette should be.
This is an absolutely bizarre comment. Footspeed can be hidden much easier at C than at wing, for the reasons I already mentioned: forechecking, and pushing defenders back with speed to the outside. A centre is more of a quarterback, while wingers are more like wide receivers. I wonder which one needs more footspeed.

Unfortunately Gaudette doesn't match up to the pure skill nor hockey IQ of Toffoli, so it's not a great comparable. And part of Toffoli's conversion to wing if I remember correctly was due to his improving footspeed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is an absolutely bizarre comment. Footspeed can be hidden much easier at C than at wing, for the reasons I already mentioned: forechecking, and pushing defenders back with speed to the outside. A centre is more of a quarterback, while wingers are more like wide receivers. I wonder which one needs more footspeed.

Unfortunately Gaudette doesn't match up to the pure skill nor hockey IQ of Toffoli, so it's not a great comparable. And part of Toffoli's conversion to wing if I remember correctly was due to his improving footspeed.

If you think there are more slow centres in the NHL than slow wingers, or that the lesser defensive responsibilities at wing don’t make it easier for a slower player to track the play there, I really don’t know what to say.

You are correct about the C being a QB and distributor ... which is why a shoot-first guy like Gaudette who isn’t a great distributor is a poor fit there.

How would you compare and contrast the speed and physicality of Gaudette vs. Markus Granlund, a player this team thought was a top-9 winger for 4 years?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like, there are 4 main reasons why guys can't play C in the NHL and need to be shifted to wing.

1) Can't handle the defensive demands of the position and don't track the play back well enough defensively.

2) Shoot-first player who can't distribute the puck and make his linemates better.

3) Can't skate well enough.

4) Can't win faceoffs.

Gaudette is 4-for-4.

The notion that it's a good idea for this player who at age 24 couldn't handle any defensive responsibilities at all at C in the NHL to be converted into a checking line/PK center is absolutely bizarre.

Maybe they should have converted Goldobin into a high-leverage 4th line PKer, too. Watch out, Tyler Motte! And all it would have taken was sending him some PK videos over the summer to watch! What a shame, especially after the whole watching video of other guys thing worked out so well for Tryamkin here.

And moreover, if the positional needs of the team dictated him staying at C, OK. Like if we needed a #2 center he could probably fill that role in sheltered minutes. But our top 2 centers are locked down while we have a massive hole on the wing created by the Leivo/Toffoli departures.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

You'd expect it to be a sure thing after losing Toffoli but nope, the circus music must go on

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
well if you think about it, holding a wedding in june 2020 is a lot like kicking the person you love in the face while trying to arouse her in a big not well thought out public spectacle, isn't it?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Like, there are 4 main reasons why guys can't play C in the NHL and need to be shifted to wing.

1) Can't handle the defensive demands of the position and don't track the play back well enough defensively.

2) Shoot-first player who can't distribute the puck and make his linemates better.

3) Can't skate well enough.

4) Can't win faceoffs.

Gaudette is 4-for-4.

The notion that it's a good idea for this player who at age 24 couldn't handle any defensive responsibilities at all at C in the NHL to be converted into a checking line/PK center is absolutely bizarre.

Maybe they should have converted Goldobin into a high-leverage 4th line PKer, too. Watch out, Tyler Motte! And all it would have taken was sending him some PK videos over the summer to watch! What a shame, especially after the whole watching video of other guys thing worked out so well for Tryamkin here.

And moreover, if the positional needs of the team dictated him staying at C, OK. Like if we needed a #2 center he could probably fill that role in sheltered minutes. But our top 2 centers are locked down while we have a massive hole on the wing created by the Leivo/Toffoli departures.
Wasn’t Gaudette seen as a two way forward in college?

I think it’s worth it to continue to develop Gaudette as a center for at least another season. It’s not like we have some amazing options at 3C.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think it’s worth it to continue to develop Gaudette as a center for at least another season. It’s not like we have some amazing options at 3C.

Well Horvat was considered one of the best defensively at the junior level. Entering his 7th season in the NHL, the defensive part of his game isn't considered his strength.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Problem with Gaudette is that he's 24. This isn't some 21 y/o kid with years to mold into something. He's closer to UFA age than he is the WJCs. Only a year younger than Horvat.

Right now he's probably the worst defensive forward on the team, and Green didn't trust him with even an iota of defensive responsibility and gave him the softest assignments imaginable. And he still struggled defensively with those. Sending him some videos over the summer isn't somehow going to magically turn him into a high-leverage PK beast.

Again, if we had no #2 center or Pettersson was injured for the whole season or something, sure, it's worth leaving him at center in that case and using him as your sheltered #2 guy. But on a team with Horvat/Pettersson, he just isn't going to be able to carry the load as a #3 defensive type.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Problem with Gaudette is that he's 24. This isn't some 21 y/o kid with years to mold into something. He's closer to UFA age than he is the WJCs. Only a year younger than Horvat.

Right now he's probably the worst defensive forward on the team, and Green didn't trust him with even an iota of defensive responsibility and gave him the softest assignments imaginable. And he still struggled defensively with those. Sending him some videos over the summer isn't somehow going to magically turn him into a high-leverage PK beast.

Again, if we had no #2 center or Pettersson was injured for the whole season or something, sure, it's worth leaving him at center in that case and using him as your sheltered #2 guy. But on a team with Horvat/Pettersson, he just isn't going to be able to carry the load as a #3 defensive type.

Exactly this. Gaudette is not developing at all to be an okay two-way, 3rd line centre. Bo Horvat played a less sheltered role as a 19yo and had better defensive numbers than Gaudette at 24.

A comparison I keep hearing a comparible for Gaudette is Bozak. Bozak had some bad defensive rates, but he was playing first line centre for very bad teams. He did much better defensively in his last year or two in Toronto and St Louis playing the 3rd line center role. This isn't the case with Gaudette. Like you said, he gets the some of the easiest minutes on the team and is 3rd worst on the team in GA/60.

I would try him on Pettersson's wing next year.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

I don’t really value Gaudette as a long term piece on the team. I would be using him as the 3C with sheltered deployment and 2nd unit pp time. Maybe put him on the wing in the top 6 when we have injuries.

This would all be to inflate his stat totals, with the intention of trading him. I would try to finesse some team and make them think they are getting a good young center.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How much 'upside' or 'downside' Gaudette might have as a third line center, the Canucks have little choice but to play him. I mean, who else is there? Michaelis? Hawryluk? Sutter? or Beagle? The Canucks have no cap space to acquire anyone else.

I suppose if Gaudette really slumps, then there's always Green favorite Sutter, But at this point in his career, he's basically a faceoff guy and a penalty killer. Otherwise he's an offensive black hole.

The Canucks are entering this season with more 'ifs' than an underfunded startup company. 'If' Gaudette can play. 'If' Virtanen can be a top-six winger. 'If' any of Juolevi, Rafferty or Rathbone can slot it at 5-8 on the blueline depth chart and give them productive minutes. 'If' a couple of their regular d-men go down, do they have anyone who can play higher in the lineup? 'If' Demko's playoff performance wasn't a mirage, and he can give them goaltending at least as solid as the departing Markstrom?. 'If' Holtby can recover his Vezina form of a few seasons ago? 'If' Hughes and Petterson can actually better than last season?

That's a lot of 'ifs'. And usually teams with that many question marks are ripe for a regression, particularly in a shortened season with a ton of games over a short period.

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
Changing his entire game? No, nobody wants that. You want to put his skillset and play style in a position where it can succeed.

The problem is that he has a total winger skillset and the team has been trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole for years.

He can't win faceoffs, he's a shoot-first player who doesn't distribute the puck well, and he's very poor at tracking the play back defensively. Trying to shape him into a checking line center is bizarre, doesn't suit him well at all, and is what is actually 'changing his entire game'.

Hoglander won't be on the team this year and Pearson won't be on the team in 21-22. Your roster math is bad.

Um are you kidding? Gaudette took and won over 3x more face offs than Pettersson with an identical 41.6-8 win%. Should Pettersson be shifted to the wing too?

Toffoli was super overrated he is not big or fast enough to be an effective winger. He floats around and isn’t able to skate or battle through the playoff defense. He is not an effective forechecker. He isnt good at board battles or anything involving physical play. He does have a good nose for the net, knows how to score and set up plays. Just OK defensively. With Gaudette you’re getting winger with all the deficiencies of a Toffoli and less of the offensive upside.

That being said, Gaudette did score a whole bunch of points in the NCAA - he might be able to make it work and be effective as a winger if he gets stronger and maybe a bit faster. He needs to clean up his defensive game regardless of C or W. If he falters at center I wouldn’t mind giving it a look but he hasn’t faltered in fact he’s taken a big step forward this year at center and we really do need centers more than wingers.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
At this point I expect very little from Gaudette at either end of the ice, but expecting him to magically become an effective PK'er when he can currently barely find the puck in his own end seems... dumb? Yeah, dumb.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Um are you kidding? Gaudette took and won over 3x more face offs than Pettersson with an identical 41.6-8 win%. Should Pettersson be shifted to the wing too?

Toffoli was super overrated he is not big or fast enough to be an effective winger. He floats around and isn’t able to skate or battle through the playoff defense. He is not an effective forechecker. He isnt good at board battles or anything involving physical play. He does have a good nose for the net, knows how to score and set up plays. Just OK defensively. With Gaudette you’re getting winger with all the deficiencies of a Toffoli and less of the offensive upside.

That being said, Gaudette did score a whole bunch of points in the NCAA - he might be able to make it work and be effective as a winger if he gets stronger and maybe a bit faster. He needs to clean up his defensive game regardless of C or W. If he falters at center I wouldn’t mind giving it a look but he hasn’t faltered in fact he’s taken a big step forward this year at center and we really do need centers more than wingers.

Gaudette was 139th out of 142 forwards who took 300+ faceoffs last year in faceoff %. He sucks in that regard.

Pettersson also sucks, which is why they do this complicated thing where Miller takes most of his key draws. But Pettersson does enough otherwise well enough to justify that concession. Gaudette does not.

And this notion that you can hide bad defensive players by playing them at C is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad