Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Adam Gaudette to 1-Year Deal ($950,000)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
putting him on the pk increases his minutes and helps him refine his defensive game.

he's not likely to be moving up from 3c anytime soon barring injuries so this is a good idea if this player if going to progress further as a centre.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
putting him on the pk increases his minutes and helps him refine his defensive game.

he's not likely to be moving up from 3c anytime soon barring injuries so this is a good idea if this player if going to progress further as a centre.

Isn't the idea to win hockey games?

Like, we could have put Goldobin on the PK to 'increase his minutes' and 'help him refine his defensive game' but that would have been a really bad idea because ... Goldobin sucks defensively and wasn't likely at all to succeed in that role, and it would have cost us hockey games.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Isn't the idea to win hockey games?

Like, we could have put Goldobin on the PK to 'increase his minutes' and 'help him refine his defensive game' but that would have been a really bad idea because ... Goldobin sucks defensively and wasn't likely at all to succeed in that role, and it would have cost us hockey games.

not sure if you are serious or even what you are talking about. we are developing a young player by gradually increasing his role and responsibilities on the team. this is how it happens. you want sutter and beagle gone? this is how it happens.

and before you go off on a rant, i understand he is 24 (freshly) and entering his third pro season. i also understand he has limitations in his game. i am just less pessimistic than you about the implications of these facts, and i also see significant strengths. i am perfectly content to see him continue to be developed as a centre for another year and i like the idea of offering him a chance to pk. if gaudette is smart, he will see that any ice time is good ice time, and any opportunity for development of a skill set in the nhl is a good opportunity, and will make the most of the pk ice time and opportunity they are offering him.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I don't see why anyone with the required conditioning can't learn pk. It's not harder than 5v5 defense, mostly just different. In fact since you generally just ice the puck when you get it, that aspect is far less complicated than even strength defence.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I doubt Green is going to just give Gaudette PK time so that he can learn it. Sutter, Beagle, Motte, (sigh) Eriksson, and Pearson will get the PK time. He might get some PK time if there are several injuries. Green isn't going to prioritize developing young players over winning in a normal year, and he certainly isn't going to do it in a contract year.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
not sure if you are serious or even what you are talking about. we are developing a young player by gradually increasing his role and responsibilities on the team. this is how it happens. you want sutter and beagle gone? this is how it happens.

and before you go off on a rant, i understand he is 24 (freshly) and entering his third pro season. i also understand he has limitations in his game. i am just less pessimistic than you about the implications of these facts, and i also see significant strengths. i am perfectly content to see him continue to be developed as a centre for another year and i like the idea of offering him a chance to pk. if gaudette is smart, he will see that any ice time is good ice time, and any opportunity for development of a skill set in the nhl is a good opportunity, and will make the most of the pk ice time and opportunity they are offering him.

It's about skillset maximization.

Like, we could also get Pettersson on the penalty kill to help him develop his defensive game or whatever. Remember when Tortorella had the Sedins killing penalties?

Gaudette put up a 46 point pace in a limited offensive role last year. Get him on Horvat's wing to maximize the value he offers to the lineup. We still have Sutter and Beagle. When they're gone, they should be replaced with penalty killing role players. Quickly scouring the 2021 UFA list; someone like Scott Laughton or Zach Hyman. Or since we have cap constraints, go after guys like Ryan Carpenter (who should get a decent raise from the $1M he's currently making, but might not) or Sean Kuraly. Guys who are already very good at that role.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

a) It's learning to run before you can walk. Like, Green didn't even trust Gaudette to take a faceoff in his own zone last year and gave him the softest, most sheltered minutes imaginable. How about before we talk about PK we work on just being semi-competent at ES defense first? Again, it's like trying to shovel PK work at Goldobin when he clearly had no business anywhere near that role.

b) Again, the guy should be converted to wing. He's the most logical candidate by a mile to fill the Leivo/Toffoli roster spot, and it's incredibly frustrating that we're continuing to try hammering a square peg into a round hole rather than just putting a shoot-first guy with a winger skillset in a position where he can succeed as an offensive player.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's about skillset maximization.

Like, we could also get Pettersson on the penalty kill to help him develop his defensive game or whatever. Remember when Tortorella had the Sedins killing penalties?

Gaudette put up a 46 point pace in a limited offensive role last year. Get him on Horvat's wing to maximize the value he offers to the lineup. We still have Sutter and Beagle. When they're gone, they should be replaced with penalty killing role players. Quickly scouring the 2021 UFA list; someone like Scott Laughton or Zach Hyman. Or since we have cap constraints, go after guys like Ryan Carpenter (who should get a decent raise from the $1M he's currently making, but might not) or Sean Kuraly. Guys who are already very good at that role.

that's your opinion.

my opinion is you don't turn perfectly good prospects who are still developing and progressing as centres into wingers unless you are absolutely jammed, and even then you try and keep that player in touch with centre ice.

we're not jammed.

it's also my opinion that gaudette's biggest skillset is his hunger. he's going to make his own destiny.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
b) Again, the guy should be converted to wing. He's the most logical candidate by a mile to fill the Leivo/Toffoli roster spot, and it's incredibly frustrating that we're continuing to try hammering a square peg into a round hole rather than just putting a shoot-first guy with a winger skillset in a position where he can succeed as an offensive player.

While I don't buy the shoot-first = winger concept, I do buy that this player does not have the positional awareness to be a center. My stomach screams in anguish as I write this, but I think we'd be better off with Gaudette on Petey's wing and Miller centering the 3rd line. Petey is IMO sofaking good that he can make do with passable wingers until the cavalry shows up when Benning's catastrophes come off the books. It's not ideal but is a better configuration than having a 3rd line that can't score or defend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad