Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Adam Gaudette to 1-Year Deal ($950,000)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Like the deal but wish it coulda been for 2 years at minimum. Now EP, Quinn, Demko, & Gaud all gotta get re-upped next year.
It would have to be higher on a 2 year deal. I would have liked a Terry 3 year deal that Anaheim got. Or at least a 2 year one. Gaudette seems to be banking on a big year. Figure all of the Arbitration qualifications will end up getting prorated.

I had expected he would have gotten Terry's $1.45 mill AAV over 2 years or around $1.6-$1..7 mill AAV over 3 years. $950K for 1 year is very surprising. But, maybe he figures, best to take the financial hit next season with a shortened season plus high escrow. That $950K is likely $650K or less based on a 54 game or so season and another $200K is gone for Escrow and Deferral. So, he'll have under $450K of taxable salary.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
I wish they had gone a bit higher and tried to get a second year from Gaudette. I mean maybe they tried and he wasn't going to sign, so I'm not really being critical, but this could be adding one more talented young player that needs a contract next year alongside Pettersson, Hughes & Demko. Ah well.

Reactions: Son of Petter

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wish they had gone a bit higher and tried to get a second year from Gaudette. I mean maybe they tried and he wasn't going to sign, so I'm not really being critical, but this could be adding one more talented young player that needs a contract next year alongside Pettersson, Hughes & Demko. Ah well.

They could have played hard ball with him. One of the underestimated advantage of burning a year of a player's ELC is that when the player becomes a RFA, he has essentially no rights.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I didn't miss a game when Bure came to Vancouver. Pure electricity.

Agreed. Bure was amazing. One of the most exciting players to ever play the game. Every time he touched the puck something happened. I miss the Russian Rocket.

Back on topic - Very happy with this show me signing for Gaudette. I thought being was going to make 1.5-2 million this year. A pleasant surprise today.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Doubt he has established himself as bona vide NHL player. Getting the Hobey probably has allowed him to get fast tracked into the League and will give him second chances but he has got to prove more. At present, he is a bit of puck chaser who races around getting out of position. Has trouble maintaining proper spacing and overall positioning. He really puts in an effort but sometimes less is better. Next year he must start to get his game together

I could still envision a trade to someone like Boston or being thrown in on a deal to get cap space.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
He's always been weirdly good at internal signings and negotiations, relative to UFAs. Horvat, Boeser, and Edlers contract negotiations all went really well. Makes it all the more puzzling he fumbled Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom, and ESPECIALLY Stecher this offseason imo, even if you consider the possibility that he was going to let them go anyway (which probably wasnt the case)

Jim respec'ed his character and took all the points from resigning and moved them to UFA and trades this off season.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
This is a player with a limited offensive ability that is severely undermined by his defensive inability. It's no surprise that he is happily discarded in a large number of trade proposals. The writing is on the wall for this player. His best quality atm is the illusion of potential provided by the pedigree of his college accomplishments. Bottom line is that we need a 3c because this experiment has failed.

Reactions: Canucks1096

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This is a player with a limited offensive ability that is severely undermined by his defensive inability. It's no surprise that he is happily discarded in a large number of trade proposals. The writing is on the wall for this player. His best quality atm is the illusion of potential provided by the pedigree of his college accomplishments. Bottom line is that we need a 3c because this experiment has failed.

A tad harsh. He's 24, and he's definitely running out of time, but he is better value than at least 5 other forwards.But he needs to either put on some weight and get tougher and meaner, or start upping his production by 50%.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
A tad harsh. He's 24, and he's definitely running out of time, but he is better value than at least 5 other forwards.But he needs to either put on some weight and get tougher and meaner, or start upping his production by 50%.
Upping his production? You will find yourself very disappointed when he isn’t shooting 18% (elite goal scorer territory) next season.

He needs speed more than he needs bulk. He’s not quick enough to get there. That was evidenced in the playoffs.

That said I think the club failed him a bit development wise by not developing him in the AHL to hone his craft as a center. The NHL isn’t a development league and the sheltered NHL minutes even with last year’s surprising production isn’t making him better.

I would agree he doesn’t have the chops to be a 3rd line Center that isn’t sheltered. Try him in the Toffoli spot.

Remember the “better than Kesler” posts ? Lol.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Upping his production? You will find yourself very disappointed when he isn’t shooting 18% (elite goal scorer territory) next season.

He needs speed more than he needs bulk. He’s not quick enough to get there. That was evidenced in the playoffs.

That said I think the club failed him a bit development wise by not developing him in the AHL to hone his craft as a center. The NHL isn’t a development league and the sheltered NHL minutes even with last year’s surprising production isn’t making him better.

I would agree he doesn’t have the chops to be a 3rd line Center that isn’t sheltered. Try him in the Toffoli spot.

Remember the “better than Kesler” posts ? Lol.

When the GM himself is comparing garbage to Lidstrom and Bergeron, we should take it easy on fans comparing Gaud to Kesler.

We should, but . . . well, username

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
When the GM himself is comparing garbage to Lidstrom and Bergeron, we should take it easy on fans comparing Gaud to Kesler.

We should, but . . . well, username
I think we forget how good Kesler was. They put a few of the replays of Canucks v Blackhawks from 2011 on recently. The size, power, acceleration was insane. His skating was elite of the elite before that damn game 5 against San Jose.

Horvat might produce more points but give me that powerful asshole over the nice guy 10/10.

Reactions: I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When it comes to Gaudette, you have to throw out his age and ask yourself one basic question. Is he done improving as a hockey player and is this his ceiling?

Based on his track record as a late bloomer in both the USHL and the NCAA, I think the clear answer is 'no'. I expect him to have a big year with the Canucks and cement himself as a third line center.

It's not like the Canucks have a lot of options anyway. Sutter and Beagle as your third and fourth line centers would be the equivalent of an offensive black hole. And guys like Michaelis and Hawryluk are in the right age group, but you can hardly count on them.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I like that Gaudette attempts shots a lot. He’s a bit limited making plays and his skating is week. I dont mind that he turns a lot of shots lose. The amount he missed the net didn’t impact his elite sniper 16% shooting.

If there was ever a player to expect a regression from its Gaudette.

He really didn’t look any better than the year prior he just kept getting points.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I hate Ryan Kesler as a person , but AG should not even be in the same sentence or page as RK17.

To be honest AG is super underwhelming. He really doesn’t do anything all that great. He’s kind of like a dollar-store Swiss Army knife. You want it to be good and work in a lot of different situations but really just does nothing great but take up space.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I hate Ryan Kesler as a person , but AG should not even be in the same sentence or page as RK17.

To be honest AG is super underwhelming. He really doesn’t do anything all that great. He’s kind of like a dollar-store Swiss Army knife. You want it to be good and work in a lot of different situations but really just does nothing great but take up space.

Agree that Gaudette shouldn't be compared to Kesler but that's a bit harsh. I think Gaudette has does have some talent and room to go. Some tools in the swiss arm knife such as the knife part can be very good and useful.

At the end of the day you got to let the player be the player he can be and not the player he's not. If Gaudette is going to enjoy a long NHL career and not be a journeyman he needs to produce offensively.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Now this will be interesting

I like it. I think Gaudette can be good at it eventually.

I think some of the dismissive comments about Gaudette in this thread are off base. He can skate just fine it’s his endurance and his first steps which are mostly because he gets flat footed and lacks anticipation in his own zone that make him look too slow.

He might be 24 but AG is a late bloomer just like Tanev was in terms of his physical development I think it would be hasty to just point as his age and think he can’t develop.

He has offensive talents that will thrive if he can be trusted with better defensive play and decision making. I still see a Tyler Bozak type career if he can get his defensive game in order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad