Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Adam Gaudette to 1-Year Deal ($950,000)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Solid deal. Arbitration for Virtanen and buy out Sutter now. Not a huge fan of arbitration but I think the net arbitration and buying out Sutter may be the best option (if Baertschi or other can't be traded).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What do you mean?

They gave him a wing position with Roussel and Sutter? He had some jump and came close a few times but as with a lot of players who haven't experienced the pace and intensity of puck battles in the playoffs he was largely overmatched 5 v 5.

He really couldn't have had a easier role to succeed in.
See the two line mates you listed. That’s what he means.

Reactions: Hit the post

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Seriously?

I get the feeling Gaudette will run through a brick wall.

The issue is he was a 1st PP star scorer before he came here and now at the highest level where he doesn't have a better than average physical trait he needs to learn to do some heavy lifting defensively.

Have some patience. It's not like he came into the NHL as a 2 way beast with plus size and/or speed

almost everybody on the team top to bottom was a 1st pp star before coming to the nhl.

i like gaudette's determination to score very much. you have mistaken my comments on how best to harness it for criticism.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Has Jim suddenly learned how to negotiate?:laugh:
He's always been weirdly good at internal signings and negotiations, relative to UFAs. Horvat, Boeser, and Edlers contract negotiations all went really well. Makes it all the more puzzling he fumbled Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom, and ESPECIALLY Stecher this offseason imo, even if you consider the possibility that he was going to let them go anyway (which probably wasnt the case)

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Gaudette has a lot of natural skill and keeps his feet moving. He's exactly the kind of player than can round out his game with experience and I think there's a good chance he will.

Reactions: Son of Petter

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Solid deal. Arbitration for Virtanen and buy out Sutter now. Not a huge fan of arbitration but I think the net arbitration and buying out Sutter may be the best option (if Baertschi or other can't be traded).
Why do you want to push dead money forward. Ride out the last year of Sutter or trade with retention. A buyout makes very little sense to me.

The $1m next year will be more crucial.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Why do you want to push dead money forward. Ride out the last year of Sutter or trade with retention. A buyout makes very little sense to me.

The $1m next year will be more crucial.
Fair enough. I just have my doubts that he can be traded and they can't re-sign Virtanen with the current cap space. Something has to give and, to me, it seems a buyout is far more likely than trading "dead money". Kinda made that point in the parentheses.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’m not sold on him but this might hurt as he gets arb rights next summer. If he produces like last year the cap just got even tighter to sign Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.

Actually I’m not sure he gets arb rights. Someone please advise on arb rights?
So this was my original line of thinking and now that it’s been correctly proven that Gaudette has arb rights I think it makes next offseason tougher than it already was. It’s a good price for one year but those 33 points and that pace he was on will get close to $2.5m when maybe you could’ve kept it much lower had there been more cap room for a multi year deal.

if I had to guess this far out he’ll be a UFA like Troy and Ben.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gaudette seeming to hint on Twitter that he will go to #96 for a jersey number. He becomes the second player in franchise history to wear it. Any guesses for the other? :p:
imageproxy.php copy.gif

Reactions: Dana Murzyn

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
See the two line mates you listed. That’s what he means.
yes its too bad we didn't have another Petey and Miller to play on the 3rd line so we could help him succeed as opposed to the guys that finished 6th and 9th of our forwards in scoring

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
yes its too bad we didn't have another Petey and Miller to play on the 3rd line so we could help him succeed as opposed to the guys that finished 6th and 9th of our forwards in scoring
Relax just stating that playing with veterans who don’t produce a lot of offense isn’t the best utility of the players skills.

Neither of those two are offensively inclined at this stage.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well there goes the opportunity to lock him into a mid term cost control contract ...

Going to be expensive if he hits 40pts.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Obviously this is a good valued deal, but I think the Canucks missed an opportunity to sign Gaudette to a Virtanen-like 2 year bridge.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He's a winger playing C. Hopefully they figure that out this year. Looked like a different player with different responsibilities on the PP.

If they're going to try to keep ruining him by playing him at C, we should have sold high on him now.

I know this a little off the immediate subject, but still on the exact topic.

They have done the same thing to Lukas Jasek. He showed good promise on RW when he first arrived. The following season without centers, he was pushed into the slot and has never shown the same kind of future hope. Maybe if management acquired enough actual centers, they wouldn't have to keep trying to make them.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Like the deal but wish it coulda been for 2 years at minimum. Now EP, Quinn, Demko, & Gaud all gotta get re-upped next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad