Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Yannick Weber (1 year, $1.5M AAV)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If Weber puts up another 10 goal season this year, he might be demanding a lot more cash. I know the Canucks will have some money to play with next year, but I don't know if Weber at a big pricetag is the way to go.

He'll definitely be in line for a hefty raise if he reproduces the last half of last season.
Whether he signs with us should be dependent on how Corrado and Clendening progress as well as who we find as a Hamhuis replacement if he's not extended.

Liked what i heard outta Corrado about playing with more sandpaper in his game... looking forward to how the D all fits together.

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
Thank god he resigned. He was looking like a legit 2nd pair dman / 1st unit PP guy. If he replicates last season, he'll be in store for a raise.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Typical of Benning.

Signs a good player who outperformed to a reasonable contract, hands out money like its nothing to players he brought in.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Typical of Benning.

Signs a good player who outperformed to a reasonable contract, hands out money like its nothing to players he brought in.

Do you think 1.5M was the most Yannick could have gotten?

or was it just a case of Yannick not wanting to move?

Regardless though, I am EXTREMELY glad he's back as we literally have nobody else capable of playing on the powerplay.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Really hope they do the right thing and put Weber on as the PPQB for the 1st unit starting day 1.

Unfortunately, this won't happen because of the guy currently behind our bench.

Better chance of an Elder - Sbisa pairing on the 1st unit.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if Weber wanted to come back. He started to find a little chemistry with the Sedins at the end of last season. I wouldn't be surprised if Canuck management indicated he'd get a good amount of time with them on the PP which could be why the money is less than expected. The Sedins could be his clearest path to having a big season where he gets 30-40pts and finally gets a big payday from someone.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Do you think 1.5M was the most Yannick could have gotten?

or was it just a case of Yannick not wanting to move?

Regardless though, I am EXTREMELY glad he's back as we literally have nobody else capable of playing on the powerplay.

I'd imagine the $1.5M was pretty much the most Weber could get. I seriously doubt he was sitting there with bigger offers on the table from other teams worth more money or term...and opted to turn them down just to stay in Vancouver on a small money 1-year deal.

I mean, if that was the aim, and he was dead set on taking a "discount" to stay in Vancouver, presumably he would've got something like that $1.5M deal done as an RFA...instead, they let him go to market as a UFA. I'd imagine to test the waters a bit at least.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Weber is like a more affordable Ehrhoff.

Same defensively skill, less offensive skill, but has the same amount of chemistry with Sedins. Both are not huge, and both do not play that physically. Both have a good 1st step and above average speed.

Good signing, not a household name, but great 6th guy. But if he's top 4....then I don't know

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Weber is like a more affordable Ehrhoff.

Same defensively skill, less offensive skill, but has the same amount of chemistry with Sedins. Both are not huge, and both do not play that physically. Both have a good 1st step and above average speed.

Good signing, not a household name, but great 6th guy. But if he's top 4....then I don't know

A very very poor man's "Affordable" version of Ehrhoff maybe.

I think describing them as the same defensively is a big stretch. I'd lean on Ehrhoff over Weber quite easily. Overall, Ehrhoff is a guy i'd be plenty comfortable calling a "solid #4" at worst, even having seen a bit of a drop-off in his play offensively...whereas Weber i'd call a #5/6/7/8 depending on the day. Pretty big distinction going from a "top-4D" to a "not top-4D" imo. And while describing them both as "not huge" is i suppose, accurate in a sense, and neither is much of a physical presence at all...there's still a pretty substantial size disparity between the two that is glossed over in that. Personally, i think 5'11" vs 6'2" is a noteworthy difference.

Weber is a bit "younger", for whatever that really matters when the "younger" is still going to be a 27 year old player for us this season. And of course, he is certainly looking likely to be more "affordable" - so there is that. I'd vastly prefer to have seen them pony up the extra dough though, to bring in the "real deal Ehrhoff" rather than the "more affordable" version in Weber (if he is/was willing to come here as his agent indicated he might be).

But then, i'm not nearly so enamored with Weber as much of this board seems to be.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
A very very poor man's "Affordable" version of Ehrhoff maybe.

I think describing them as the same defensively is a big stretch. I'd lean on Ehrhoff over Weber quite easily. Overall, Ehrhoff is a guy i'd be plenty comfortable calling a "solid #4" at worst, even having seen a bit of a drop-off in his play offensively...whereas Weber i'd call a #5/6/7/8 depending on the day. Pretty big distinction going from a "top-4D" to a "not top-4D" imo. And while describing them both as "not huge" is i suppose, accurate in a sense, and neither is much of a physical presence at all...there's still a pretty substantial size disparity between the two that is glossed over in that. Personally, i think 5'11" vs 6'2" is a noteworthy difference.

Weber is a bit "younger", for whatever that really matters when the "younger" is still going to be a 27 year old player for us this season. And of course, he is certainly looking likely to be more "affordable" - so there is that. I'd vastly prefer to have seen them pony up the extra dough though, to bring in the "real deal Ehrhoff" rather than the "more affordable" version in Weber (if he is/was willing to come here as his agent indicated he might be).

But then, i'm not nearly so enamored with Weber as much of this board seems to be.

That's the thing though, both play like 5'6. This is classic 'not how big the dog in the fight is, but how big the fight is in the dog'.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's the thing though, both play like 5'6. This is classic 'not how big the dog in the fight is, but how big the fight is in the dog'.

I don't know about that. I think there's more to the way these two players use their "size" or lack thereof...than just smashing bodies around. Things like reach. And while Ehrhoff is certainly not any sort of crease-clearing monster...i don't see him getting totally punked around the net front and in the corners near as often as it seems to impact Weber for example.

Neither guy really plays anything resembling a "physical game", but i'd say there's still an appreciable difference between them in that regard.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I don't know about that. I think there's more to the way these two players use their "size" or lack thereof...than just smashing bodies around. Things like reach. And while Ehrhoff is certainly not any sort of crease-clearing monster...i don't see him getting totally punked around the net front and in the corners near as often as it seems to impact Weber for example.

Neither guy really plays anything resembling a "physical game", but i'd say there's still an appreciable difference between them in that regard.

Oh yeah, for sure about the reach. I was referring more to their physicality when it comes to their size.

Both are not huge, and both do not play that physically

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If he puts up great numbers like end of last year and get 15 goals move him for a second at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad