Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Yannick Weber (1 year, $1.5M AAV)

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Happy to have him back. Still relatively young and made some good strides. He has faults to his game but hard to complain at 1.5m, seems fair for both sides.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Fingers crossed that Weber is inspired by his hot finish last season to hulk up this summer and pick up where he left off in April. The team is sorely lacking offense from the back end so it should be good value for one season.

God knows fans have had a lot to shake their head's about the last few months but this signing isn't one of them. A lot of the people were convinced other signings had blown the budget for retaining Weber.

I don't really think there's much of any "hulking" or "bulking" up this summer for Weber. He's already probably about as heavy/strong as he's going to get physically, at his size.

It's his mindset defensively that's weak/soft, as much as anything.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Logical signing...their best offensive d-man, which isn't saying much...my only issue is that the knock on the Vancity blueline was that it was soft and couldn't handle the forecheck...so they unload Bieksa and Stanton and add Barkowski....has to be more moves coming...otherwise the blueline is going to actually be less physical than last year's crew.:shakehead

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'm genuinely surprised... The only reason I can think Weber would shrug off UFA-dom (particularly after his team deliberately let him go to avoid paying market value) is that Kayla Price doesn't want to leave BC.

He went to UFA-dom. There likely wasn't much interest, so he took the cheap 1 year deal.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Management did a good job here. Weber definitely earned the contract and they got around arbitration. Not sure about the term but Weber is, at least, a marketable commodity to be used at the deadline to pick up a draft choice if there is no NMC.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He went to UFA-dom. There likely wasn't much interest, so he took the cheap 1 year deal.

Yeah. Pretty much.

It was smart maneuvering by management to let him hit the market, avoid a potential arbitration snafu, and come back around on a cheaper deal when he realized the market that wasn't out there for him.

Works for Weber too, as he gets to stay in Vancouver, and he's probably going to get a huge opportunity that i can't imagine he'd get on pretty much any other blueline in the league. Which is a bit terrifying really.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yeah. Pretty much.

It was smart maneuvering by management to let him hit the market, avoid a potential arbitration snafu, and come back around on a cheaper deal when he realized the market that wasn't out there for him.

Works for Weber too, as he gets to stay in Vancouver, and he's probably going to get a huge opportunity that i can't imagine he'd get on pretty much any other blueline in the league. Which is a bit terrifying really.

Yeah, I just couldn't wrap my head around the criticism to not qualify him. Seemed so obvious...

They likely got him for 50-80% less letting him hit free agency. Was the perfect handling of this asset.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I am actually glad we got him resigned. I liked the strides he made last year offensively with the Sedins, and his shot is getting better.

I just hope they can teach him how to play defense. When under pressure he likes throwing it up the middle. It has to stop.

I like the amount we got him for, and the term. Leaves lots of options open.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
More likely they agreed to this deal earlier and just took their time dotting eyes, filing it, whatever.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
It's a whole hell of a lot better than signing Franson to do exactly the same thing.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Management did a good job here. Weber definitely earned the contract and they got around arbitration. Not sure about the term but Weber is, at least, a marketable commodity to be used at the deadline to pick up a draft choice if there is no NMC.

this is one of the cases where i'll admit they probably had information that i didn't and retract my criticism

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
http://canucksarmy.com/2015/7/14/canucks-year-in-review-yannick-weber

a useful look that gives weight to what i (and some others.. arsmaster?) have been trying to say: weber's a good player

Weber had an outstanding finish to the season last year... took a definite developmental step forward.

With Edler and Tanev doing the heavy lifting at likely 22ish+ mins/per.. Weber, Hamhuis and Sbisa will be taking turns as 20 min men on a nightly basis, with the 6th working his way towards earning trust....

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
this is one of the cases where i'll admit they probably had information that i didn't and retract my criticism
I still imagine it's linked to Kayla Price, and Yannick's desire to stay in BC. Otherwise I can't imagine why he would be unwilling to test his newfound UFA status. Although if there was some side deal to avoid the QO and salary arbitration, you'd kind of think Weber would get a bit of extra money out of that.

That said, Sbisa also has the "local girl" factor tying him to the region, and that obviously made zero difference, so who knows.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I just really like how having a second defensemen on the powerplay over the final 12 games allowed it to come alive. Weber getting 6 points and Edler 7 in that stretch really helped the look of their seasons numbers. Edler especially going a point per game over the last 14 really saved it for him.

Weber's 5 on 5 really did come along way. Just needs to limit the amount of times he gets rocked in the corner and continues to produce on the powerplay he willhave a decent year.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If Weber puts up another 10 goal season this year, he might be demanding a lot more cash. I know the Canucks will have some money to play with next year, but I don't know if Weber at a big pricetag is the way to go.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
If Weber puts up another 10 goal season this year, he might be demanding a lot more cash. I know the Canucks will have some money to play with next year, but I don't know if Weber at a big pricetag is the way to go.

Well then lets hope he doesn't score 10 goals again. :dunno:

If he keeps improving as a player then so be it. It's not like he's going to be demanding 4+... then again, if he uses Sbisa as a baseline...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00