Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Yannick Weber (1 year, $1.5M AAV)

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
went to go check mike weber's wikipedia page to check his contract status, and it currently states he plays for the vancouver canucks...:sarcasm:

at least duthie corrected himself there

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd rather not. :(

Think he'll end up getting a lot of the "babysitting" that would be better earmarked for our two young righty defencemen, Corrado/Clendening. And i just really don't like watching him play very much.

But at least it's cheap i guess. Knew it was coming.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

Think he'll end up getting a lot of the "babysitting" that would be better earmarked for our two young righty defencemen, Corrado/Clendening. And i just really don't like watching him play very much.

why can't our two young right dman get babysat by sbisa

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Good signing. I doubt Clendening makes the team over Weber and Corrado.

Clenny will be our #7/8.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

They need Weber for the PP. The PP took off with his big RH shot.

Weber also was pretty good alongside Hamhuis. Really grew as the season went along.

He's also another guy you could move at the deadline to a team looking for defensive depth, which is important here...

I thought he would get 50-70% more than this. Terrific handling of the RFA situation.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
It's just getting the fan base prepared for the arrival of an even shorter right shooting D-man in a year or two.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They need Weber for the PP. The PP took off with his big RH shot.

Weber also was pretty good alongside Hamhuis. Really grew as the season went along.

He's also another guy you could move at the deadline to a team looking for defensive depth, which is important here...

I thought he would get 50-70% more than this. Terrific handling of the RFA situation.

They definitely dodged the RFA situation well, where he clearly would have ended up getting more money. So that's good.

I just don't think Weber is a top-6 NHL defenceman though. Really dragged Hamhuis down with him.

PP presence is nice, but i'm still not even sold on his ability to sustain that either. Wouldn't be the first addition to give the PP a jolt and then go stale.

It's a cheap 1-year deal though, not a big deal. Just don't like what that hints at for our projected defence corps next year. There were plenty of better actual depth defencemen out there.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
There were plenty of better actual depth defencemen out there.

But were there any that would be better on the PP? Because without Weber, we would be looking pretty suspect on the point, lacking the big RH shot. This team would be sunk with a poor PP IMO.

I think they still look at a fast skating dman like Bartkowski to improve the footspeed on the backend.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Benning is a clown! This inept management will send the team into imminent collapse. 1.4 million overpayment. Team will groan under the weight of this contract for the next 10 years. Cap structure in disarray. Fire everyone.

Weber is a guy I really could've cared less about bringing back (he was a calamity in the playoffs) but he's probably more reliable than Clendening at this stage, is an asset that has at least middling value, and signed for .5-.7 million less than I'd have anticipated, and the term is perfect. So...good deal? There's really not a lot to complain about, although lord knows the usual suspects will find a way.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
But were there any that would be better on the PP? Because without Weber, we would be looking pretty suspect on the point, lacking the big RH shot. This team would be sunk with a poor PP IMO.

I think they still look at a fast skating dman like Bartkowski to improve the footspeed on the backend.

Yea still wouldnt be surprised if they add one more D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad