Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Yannick Weber (1 year, $1.5M AAV)

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Benning is a clown! This inept management will send the team into imminent collapse. 1.4 million overpayment. Team will groan under the weight of this contract for the next 10 years. Cap structure in disarray. Fire everyone.

Weber is a guy I really could've cared less about bringing back (he was a calamity in the playoffs) but he's probably more reliable than Clendening at this stage, is an asset that has at least middling value, and signed for .5-.7 million less than I'd have anticipated, and the term is perfect. So...good deal? There's really not a lot to complain about, although lord knows the usual suspects will find a way.
lol typical

the one signing that "benning haters" actually support and you throw in a strawman

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reasonable deal (unlike others I'm not convinced he had a big arbitration pay day lined up if he was qualified).

Still the bottom 4-7 is horrensous.

Yeah I think this is about what he would have received in arbitration also.

That said, solid value. Glad to have him back.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Weber is a guy I really could've cared less about bringing back (he was a calamity in the playoffs) but he's probably more reliable than Clendening at this stage, is an asset that has at least middling value, and signed for .5-.7 million less than I'd have anticipated, and the term is perfect. So...good deal? There's really not a lot to complain about, although lord knows the usual suspects will find a way.

The complaining has already been done. For not qualifying Weber and giving him the $2.5mil plus he was looking for.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Good deal, our defense would look ugly if he walked.

Would like to see him play a bigger PP role next season, though for whatever reason Desjardins never seemed thrilled with the idea.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
And brutally exposed in the playoffs for what he is... a small, soft player that Calgary was clearly focused on. No point and a minus 5 in 6 games.

Well to be fair calgary made bieksa and the rest of our blueline look soft as well.....outside our first pair when edler was laying hits.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well that's one decision that worked out well enough, though still extends from the Sbisa mistake that they had to do this to avoid arbitration. I guess either Weber did a quick shop around the league and didn't get much interest, or he figures he can raise his stock best for next year playing as the #4 here beside Hamhuis and #1 PP man.

Last seasons stint was too short to convince anyone, need to see if he can do that over a full year before he gets a payday.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Also the best news may be that we probably aren't going to sign Franson to a massive contract now.

Benning didn't even call to ask what Franson was looking for.

The notion Benning was going to be blinded by Franson's 'tools' didn't make sense to me. Happy with the pro scouting here.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Well to be fair calgary made bieksa and the rest of our blueline look soft as well.....outside our first pair when edler was laying hits.

Yes, no question. It's not all bad, they at least appear resigned to the fact they need a year or two of top end picks. This will help that cause.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I would turn Round and fire off Edler to the highest bidder so fast heads would spin

I wouldn't mind doing that either. I still don't trust his back. He had a solid season. Time to trade him. By the time we are half-decent again, Edler will be old.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Good signing. Let him get some points and then trade him at the deadline along with everyone else who isn't bolted to the ground.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'm just guessing Weber sees that he has a real chance to get some good icetime (Bieksa's departure leaves a hole on the right side).

Good price for not much.

MAN I hope one of Corrado or Clendening takes serious strides this summer.
Weber's signing means neither of those players will be forced into top four roles (a good thing)

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Good deal. Very surprising (how the heck does he sign for 2 million less than Sbisa while outplaying him so clearly?). If Willie understands to play Weber on PP, he could have decent value at deadline.

After Tanev, Edler and Hamhuis, right now Weber is our best option for top 4 minutes out of this massive amount of #7 defencemen we have (Sbisa, Clendening, Corrado, Bartkowski).

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Fingers crossed that Weber is inspired by his hot finish last season to hulk up this summer and pick up where he left off in April. The team is sorely lacking offense from the back end so it should be good value for one season.

God knows fans have had a lot to shake their head's about the last few months but this signing isn't one of them. A lot of the people were convinced other signings had blown the budget for retaining Weber.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
Good job Benning.

Even when they were decimated by injuries last year our defence somehow managed to keep it together, so there is reason for optimism. Sticking with this group is logical.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00