Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Alex Edler to 2-Year, $6M AAV Deal

May 31, 2006
Edler is still a child who is afraid of living anywhere else other than Vancouver. He was desperate to stay.

Screw Benning. Not giving him any credit here.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

member 290103

For once Jimbo held out and used some leverage to make the player take less. Very "Gillis" of him. I suspect if Linden were here, Edler would have a 5 year contract with full NMC.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Process? Not enough info to judge, and it's secondary to:

Result? Awesome. Benning. Deserves. Full. Credit. Full. Stop. Period.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nice deal. If it saves us from 7x7 for Gardiner even better.
Uhhh You do understand that signing this deal, is the starting point

Jim said he’s completely changing our defence this year.

Getting Edler Signed is basically the bare minimum, at the end of the year basically everybody already assumed he would’ve signed and the negotiations would be pretty quick.

We are in on a ton, FA trades etc.
I can see us getting Gardiner and something still

Reactions: Peter10

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think this signing may mean the end of Chris Tanev's tenure in Vancouver. I can't see Benning bringing him back in a key role and in order to upgrade they may want to shed his contract to do so. I guess it depends largely on the return but if they can get back a couple of high picks ala Justin Braun, I think they'll move him and for better or worse target Gardiner/Myers/Stralman in UFA. I think Ben Hutton will also be heavily shopped between now and the draft.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I think this signing may mean the end of Chris Tanev's tenure in Vancouver. I can't see Benning bringing him back in a key role and in order to upgrade they may want to shed his contract to do so. I guess it depends largely on the return but if they can get back a couple of high picks ala Justin Braun, I think they'll move him and for better or worse target Gardiner/Myers/Stralman in UFA.

Tanev really should be traded, if you can get value for him... but still, who replaces him? Stecher? Schenn? Biega?

Stecher is the only option that's halfway viable. We need some Right D badly. If we picked up Myers, that might be interesting... but he's apparently weak defensively so could just be another Gudbranson.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Terrific deal and probably the single best thing Benning has done in 6 years. Great deal for the team.

Edler clearly was never going to leave because he completely caved here without even testing the market for leverage.

It almost seems like he was afraid to even see what was out there for him, like he didn't even want to be tempted to leave Vancouver. Kudos to Benning though for not agreeing to something less desirable earlier, he played his cards perfectly in this situation.

Reactions: Britton and MS

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Great contract. If only Benning could negotiate with players he acquires as well as he can with ones that were already here; Tanev, Horvat, and now Edler all have excellent contracts.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Thank goodness they didn't look at the Ericksson deal and say "$6M for a player who will be 35 at the end of the contract? Never again!":sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad