Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Alex Edler to 2-Year, $6M AAV Deal

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

An absolutely terrific deal and signing by Benning. I for one am grateful that all/most posters on here didn’t criticize Benning throughout these last 36 hours as it pertained to Edler. Negotiations are never easy, but Benning clearly pulled through here and came up with a perfect term and AAV for Edler. Benning looks like he is really improving in this regard as a GM.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Just for clarification sake, what year would the NMC need to be modified on for a non expiring contract?

So, last time what happened was there was a whole swath of contracts that the nhl and NHLPA had to manually review individually, before sending out a memo that clarified the status of a few particular players. I would imagine that such a thing will occur again and your hypothetical would fall under that manual review process. So it really depends on the exact language that is used in the contract.

Having said that, these clauses are completely negotiable, so they could just give him an NMC that protects him from everything except an expansion draft, so they wouldn't need to do weird f***ery with what year it takes place.

Reactions: BeardyCanuck03

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I'll give credit where it's due: that's a great contract by Benning.

The process to get here was panic-inducing, and it doesn't excuse everything else, but 2 years at that price is going to look amazing when we see all the ridiculous contracts that are given out in July.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Perfect.

giphy.gif

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Very happy with this...
Ideal transition... 2 yrs for Hughes to develop and Juolevi to become an NHLer, and one yr of crossover with Tryamkin.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Wew lad that's an underpayment, Philly would have no doubt given him 7 years at 7 million :laugh:

Surprised Edler stayed for that term. It gives us great flexibility for when Pettersson and Hughes come off their ELC's. I hope he's still a good d-man when the deal is up. It'd be a shame for him to lose out on a huge payday and then get underpaid in two years again.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
2 years @ $6M is the perfect contract for Edler. Nice and short, ends right when EP needs re-upping. So glad it’s not the 4 years and even the 3 years originally reported.

Good job on this one Jim.

Reactions: TruGr1t

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
good job JB

welcome back Alex

greatest Canuck career as a defenseman. A little pissed he couldn't talk that weirdo Karlsson to come play with him and Petey....jk

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, this is a good deal. Right cap hit and term.

Benning continues to be infinitely better at negotiating with players he inherited (Tanev, Horvat, Markstrom, and now Edler) vs the ones he didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00