Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Alex Edler to 2-Year, $6M AAV Deal

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Edler sucks according to this board. See far more complaints than compliments.
It isn't just this board. He is massively under-rated amongst those who are the biggest pom-pom wavers of the franchise. He is basically seen as an old obstacle in the way of Hughes by the fans.

Reactions: LiveeviL

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Alexander Edler last two seasons:
‭85‬ GP
‭14G 37A 51‬ Points +2

Last 82 games if you prefer that metric:
14G 33A 47 points +5

This is the best we have seen Alex Edler play in almost a decade, in spite of the injuries he has had this season and last.
Legitimate top pairing output and performance playing against the league's best players.

Hear, hear. Despite his obvious regression with age, these stats plus the fact that he's a leader for the D group and team in general are reason enough for his contract extension at those numbers. Edler is underrated.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No one can play the minutes Edler has to. Myers is too soft, Benn is terrible, Quinn and Tanev aren't physical players, Stecher is too small handle the mean crowd or punish consistently. And our extras aren't NHL level. Edler is the only one who can be effective as a physical presence. Benn is supposed to help in that department but opposing teams don't fear someone who can be skated around in circles.

Green plays Edler as much as he does because he has no choice. The blueliners who are supposed to excel away from the puck don't. This is why the Myers signing sucks so much - he's a room temperature defender best suited as a 4-5, yet he's paid to be the yang to the yin. Then we have no room to fit someone better than Benn. And clearly we can't expect guys we know to be too soft/small to suddenly become wrecking balls. The blueline is poorly built and it shows, and I absolutely agree with lawrence's observation - this is not even the final form of terribleness the defense has to offer, because we have no NHL-worthy defensemen to fill in for injuries.

This is one of the reasons why I was pushing for the Canucks to sign Gardiner (instead of Ferland), even though we had already signed Myers.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Have you looked at Gardiner's stats 8n Carolina? They are terrible.

Yeah I caught wind of that. Looks like he’s having a rough year, and likely would have experienced the same thing here (although maybe he would’ve been more compatible with our system? Who knows).

I’m just stating what I would have done at that time.

Edler-Stecher
Gardiner-Myers
Hughes-Tanev

was what I had originally penciled in (I’ll also admit that I didn’t expect Hughes to be so good so quick and so I had Hughes penciled in as a 3rd pairing guy with Tanev so that Tanev could help Hughes get his feet wet).

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
My only gripe with Edler, and I've had it for a while, are his boneheaded penalties. Any time you see him go to the box it's always for something he could've prevented by just skating one or two more steps.
Hooking and tripping seem to be his favorite.
Other than that there's not much to dislike as far as I'm concerned.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
My only gripe with Edler, and I've had it for a while, are his boneheaded penalties. Any time you see him go to the box it's always for something he could've prevented by just skating one or two more steps.
Hooking and tripping seem to be his favorite.
Other than that there's not much to dislike as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. It's nice to see how reliable he's become in his 30s after some very inconsistent years where he looked like a replacement level player.

Reactions: calnuck

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2