Canucks owner looking to bring NBA back to Vancouver

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I love the CFL and have supported it with a lot of money and time, but I don't have any delusions of where it sits on the Canadian sports landscape.

I have always supported the MLB and NBA for Vancouver, because it was underserved I thought.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Ghost who made you Canada's sports keeper? The CFL gets zero press in Toronto and Halifax, does that make it less popular? Why should we lose other teams just because someone in Winnipeg with no pro teams does not like them.

It's called having an opinion. I am not a gate keeper. That's ridiculous. Why would you lose a team if your location is Stratford, CT? Why would anyone lose a team because of my opinion? Also, I've never stated where l am located or what pro teams I have access to. So you are making assumptions there. ;)

GHOST

Ogopogo*

Did you count to 9,000?

Ever seen a Thrashers crowd in Atlanta? It was kinda like that.

If you can't put a decent crowd together when the defending champions are in town with David Robinson and Tim Duncan, you aren't a basketball town.

Ogopogo*

So.. what you're saying is your experience at a Grizzlies game was like an Edmonton Oilers crowd circa 1995-96?

Ahhh yes...Peter Pocklington was a wonderful man, wasn't he? It takes a special someone to try to kill hockey in such great hockey town. He almost pulled it off that little devil. Thanx to Bettman and Katz, that scenario won't happen again.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
It's called having an opinion. I am not a gate keeper. That's ridiculous. Why would you lose a team if your location is Stratford, CT? Why would anyone lose a team because of my opinion? Also, I've never stated where l am located or what pro teams I have access to. So you are making assumptions there. ;)

GHOST

You claim you don't want a team in Vancouver when you are in Winnipeg(Come on, be serious.) Hockey is not the only sport on the planet.

And my Dad is from Toronto Ontario.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Exactly. The leagues watch each other for fan support. If the response is like this for basketball, what do you think Selig is thinking?

Selig?. I understand he's thinking about realigning MLB's Divisions based on talent. sending the Washington Nationals' to the NBA's Pacific Division with another relo, clean on out to Vancouver, thus killing 2 birds with one stone. :)

I have always supported the MLB and NBA for Vancouver, because it was underserved I thought.

Get a new Blackberry Pearl there getty? Takes a Hell of an image but wont take instruction whatsoever huh?. ... :sarcasm:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Ahhh yes...Peter Pocklington was a wonderful man, wasn't he? It takes a special someone to try to kill hockey in such great hockey town. He almost pulled it off that little devil. Thanx to Bettman and Katz, that scenario won't happen again.

Yeah until he moves them to Katy Texas.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Selig?. I understand he's thinking about realigning MLB's Divisions based on talent. sending the Washington Nationals' to the NBA's Pacific Division with another relo, clean on out to Vancouver, thus killing 2 birds with one stone. :)

Get a new Blackberry Pearl there getty? Takes a Hell of an image but wont take instruction whatsoever huh?. ... :sarcasm:

LOL

Tell me about it. They should gone NHL division a long time ago. 8 teams in each confrenece make the playoffs. This allows the MLB to have no cap with the majority of teams making the playoffs by only to have win 60 or so games. Works out for everyone.

Ogopogo*

I'm talking about Katz moving them. Bettman has never stopped a team from leaving Canada.

The topic was, crowds at Oiler games in 1996.

The reason crowds at NHL games suffered in Edmonton in the mid-90s was because of economics. Pocklington was struggling in his businesses outside of hockey and, as a result, couldn't afford to ice a competitive team. The economic environment of the NHL with no salary cap only made this situation worse as the LA Kings and NY Rangers salivated at the opportunity to buy most of the Oiler players.

For money reasons, between 1987 and 1994 Pocklington dumped: Paul Coffey, Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Grant Fuhr and replaced them with lower salaried, glorified AHLers. Once those AHLers wanted more money they were replaced with a new wave of AHLers.

Yes, the reason the Oilers attendance suffered in the mid-90s was that they were a farm team and there was no hope of ever building a winner with Pocklington as the owner. Oiler fans were rightly pissed off.

Once Pocklington left Edmonton in 1997, attendance bounced back. To this day, the Oilers sell out every night with a 30th place team because they are not a farm team and have the economic capacity to build a winner. Bettman's salary cap and Katz's financial strength are the reasons why.

This is a hockey town. The NBA would never survive here nor would MLB or the NFL. Vancouver cannot properly support an NBA team either - it would be much like Atlanta supporting the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm talking about Katz moving them. Bettman has never stopped a team from leaving Canada.

:biglaugh:

And now no one can leave, anywhere, at anytime, for any reason. Not even to take a leek. The newly minted SuperHero's of the NHL Guardian Project stand on Guard for Thee.

Gary Bettman Rules!. :yo:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
How many Scotch today Killion? :laugh

Why, absolutely none whatsoever ABD. What would ever lead you to believe Id be foolish enough to dink & post?. Just funnin around. And the redwine?. Doctors orders. ... :naughty:

Last edited:

g35

Apr 28, 2006
Yes, the reason the Oilers attendance suffered in the mid-90s was that they were a farm team and there was no hope of ever building a winner with Pocklington as the owner. Oiler fans were rightly pissed off.

It's funny how this can be used as a reason for the Oilers' lack of attendance in the 90's but not the Grizzlies. Anyone remotely, tangentially familiar with the Grizzlies history would know that ...

Yes, the reason the Grizzlies attendance suffered in the mid-90s was that they were a farm team and there was no hope of ever building a winner with Jackson as the general manager. Grizzlies fans were rightly pissed off.

among other reasons

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The topic was, crowds at Oiler games in 1996.

The reason crowds at NHL games suffered in Edmonton in the mid-90s was because of economics. Pocklington was struggling in his businesses outside of hockey and, as a result, couldn't afford to ice a competitive team. The economic environment of the NHL with no salary cap only made this situation worse as the LA Kings and NY Rangers salivated at the opportunity to buy most of the Oiler players.

For money reasons, between 1987 and 1994 Pocklington dumped: Paul Coffey, Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Grant Fuhr and replaced them with lower salaried, glorified AHLers. Once those AHLers wanted more money they were replaced with a new wave of AHLers.

Once Pocklington left Edmonton in 1997, attendance bounced back. To this day, the Oilers sell out every night with a 30th place team because they are not a farm team and have the economic capacity to build a winner. Bettman's salary cap and Katz's financial strength are the reasons why.

This is a hockey town. The NBA would never survive here nor would MLB or the NFL. Vancouver cannot properly support an NBA team either - it would be much like Atlanta supporting the NHL.

So Canada could not support other pro sports, is that what you are saying?

It's funny how this can be used as a reason for the Oilers' lack of attendance in the 90's but not the Grizzlies. Anyone remotely, tangentially familiar with the Grizzlies history would know that ...

Yes, the reason the Grizzlies attendance suffered in the mid-90s was that they were a farm team and there was no hope of ever building a winner with Jackson as the general manager. Grizzlies fans were rightly pissed off.

among other reasons

He is being like that on purpose.

Ogopogo*

among other reasons

I tried to make it simple but, apparently for some, it an never be simple enough.

There is a difference between having an owner sell all of a team's talent to finance other businesses vs. having a stupid dumb ass in the GM chair.

The Grizzlies situation was completely different. Edmonton will support a team no matter where it is in the standings. ****** ownership destroying a team is not what happened with the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies were always one smart draft pick from being a good team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnell

Aug 22, 2008
Vancouver
Just throwing out an idea, we all know the rule of supply and demand. In order to drive up demand in the Vancouver Market would it be feasable to name a Basketball team the Western Canada Cougars or something and have 30 "home" games in Vancouver, and 5 each in Edmonton and Calgary and maybe one In winnipeg (not sure if that adds up to a full set of home games. You could also throw in some preseason games in Saskatoon and Regine.

Hopefully this would drive up the demand in Vancouver by limiting the supply create new markets all around western Canada by giving ownership to fans in those cities, and thus entice them to fill the arena's when the team plays there.

I know many will say that players would be even less likely to go to a team that does this but maybe fill the team with some good european talent and hope that they added revenue created by strong attendance and increased nat'l coverage will allow for the team to spend to the cap.

Seems a little hairbrained but the do it in Buffalo and winnipeg was proprosing it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad