Speculation: Canucks next GM: The Hunt is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Can't wait till HF Canucks run the next GM out of town and still not blame ownership.

Prediction : Franky will announce that the new hires will have full control of everything, then by the summer, Franky can't stop himself from inserting himself into the hockey operations, and new hires quit.

You can repeat the latter as much as you want but it does not make it true in any sense.

Also, in regards to the former, if HFCanucks were the ones who were able to run Jim Benning out of town, he would have been gone in after the second season. Good riddance to his incompetent self.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
?

Bergevin was a bad GM in most ways but what kept him afloat was his knack for winning trades that went against consensus opinion.

I have two really good trades:
Domi for Anderson
Subban for Weber (I was really shocked at how this turned out)

That Sergachev for Drouin move is a killer through. Was a bad deal at the time, and looks utterly horrendous now.
Christian Dvorak deal is looking pretty bad as well.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Bergevin has a case to be a worse GM right now than Benning currently is.

In fact he has an extremely good case when you look at the facts.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Domi for Anderson

That Sergachev for Drouin move is a killer through. Was a bad deal at the time, and looks utterly horrendous now.
Seems like one of those "caveats of working in Montreal" trades
I wonder if Bergevin makes that deal when there isn't a mandate to have French-Canadian players on the team...

Reactions: Hit the post

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Domi for Anderson

I would say he made out as well as could be expected on the Pacioretty deal, as well. Suzuki was a nice get.

For me, not wanting Bergevin has very little to do with his actual GM-ing. It's his links to the Chicago situation and his decision to draft Logan Mailloux. Not the type of character I want running the Canucks.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't want Bergevin at ALL, but it's interesting to note that the Jim Benning era Canucks drafted in the 2nd round 6 times (one was a free pick from Torts to CBJ) in 8 seasons, Bergevin's Habs had 13.

He gets the basics at least, but I want a businessman, economist, or lawyer not some terrible NHL player who was a glue guy 20 years ago on some bad teams because Mario Lemieux liked him.

Reactions: MS

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Seems like one of those "caveats of working in Montreal" trades
I wonder if Bergevin makes that deal when there isn't a mandate to have French-Canadian players on the team...
A rookie head coach that won a Cup for Montreal as their head coach was demoted immediately in the off-season because he couldn't get along with those players on the team (specifically I think Henri Richard). In Montreal, winning even the Cup, isn't enough.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I must be missing something, what is going on in Vegas that would entice McPhee to leave a model franchise for Vancouver of all places?

Only thing that makes sense is, similar to LouLam in Toronto, he never really wanted to take a step back and pass the reigns to McCrimmon, and still wants to be a GM.

I would pass on that, frankly, if that's the case. I'm okay with having a 60+ year old dinosaur as PHO because experience in that position is valuable, but I'd rather have a more modern GM.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
McPhee would be great, he has a winning track record but like Boudreau has never gotten his team the Stanley Cup, since we are garbage and so far away from being a legitimate Cup Contender McPhee would be an ideal short-term replacement for 2-3 years shaping the Canucks into a consistent playoff team.

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I must be missing something, what is going on in Vegas that would entice McPhee to leave a model franchise for Vancouver of all places?
Feel like someone posted something stating Canucks have/are kicking tires on McPhee. As well, that Vegas wouldn’t block him from moving on. There’s suggestions that it’s kelly mcrimmon’s team,
basically. Maybe I am wrong but almost certain I read that.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Friedman mused about Aquilini liking Bergevin but says he maybe looking to avoid the big hockey markets. Elliot also says Proporov may be on the outs in Philly. Boeser+ for Proporov ???

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I could be misremembering things, but wasn’t he kind of pushed out of the GM role into the presidents role because Vegas didn’t want to lose McCrimmon? Maybe he wants to go back to being GM and he’ll get that opportunity in Vancouver? Just speculating.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Friedman mused about Aquilini liking Bergevin but says he maybe looking to avoid the big hockey markets. Elliot also says Proporov may be on the outs in Philly. Boeser+ for Proporov ???
Not sure why Philly would do this. Provorov is their best D (or should be). Sadly we don’t even have a half decent D to include in a package to pry an even better one away. If we move a horvat/Miller/Boeser hopefully it’s for a top 4 RHD but can’t imagine it will be a top 2 quality one.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
so realistically, the important thing isn't even who the next GM is, it's the new president right?

someone with vision and goodwill and — ugh, that this is the bar — who is organized, is going to have come in and rebuild the entire organization. not restock the prospect pool, clear out bad contracts, get value for moveable pieces, etc.

someone is going to have hire an entire f***ing staff that all were either pushed out or quit over the last 7.5 years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
george mcphee, steamer, and scott walker would absolutely destroy benning, weisbrod, and green in a fight

i would PPV that shit
The Steamer could still probably take out all three of those guys himself. Handicap match at Wrestlemania!

Not that I particularly am enthused about Smyl being the GM (even if only on a interm basis).

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The Canucks hiring Bergevin to be GM after cutting Virtanen for basically the same thing is rich, but it's not like they had a COVID vaccination policy and threw it out the window for Hamonic when the team was bleeding shots against.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad